Another Stockmarket crash???

yes it must be a concern not knowing what the next day holds , 1% per day on the asx , is it the us , or ?

No its called the stockmarket, and if you cant handle this sought of volatility i would advise against investing in the stockmarket.
Market pyschology has much more influence in the short term than fundamentals, thats just the nature of the market

The rich, informed, and thrifty will get richer, and wastrels, the uninformed and poor will get poorer.

And Rudd wouldn't be Prime Minister.

But I put the probability of >9% rates in the next 5 years at <5%.
Maybe Swan and Rudd are starting to realize too, that just because a govt wants a higher population, it ain't going to happen unless the private sector can borrow money to build houses, migrants can borrow
Winston, the blonde bombshell and the black swan would not know how to run a hot bath let alone a country like Australia,given that nothing is predictable ,you and i both know the way the system works,MrRudd can always blame external events outside his control,i was watching Mr Swan
speak yesterday on what he thinks will happen in Australia.. Labor has always been slow at detecting changes around them,but now they don't have the backing of most militant unions so witout them they well be a one term Government,we can only hope..willair..

Winston, the blonde bombshell and the black swan would not know how to run a hot bath let alone a country like Australia,given that nothing is predictable

I smrked out loud last night during the 7.30 report, when it was reported The Black and White Minstrels (I mean ministers) voiced it would be a good idea for the state govts to play a lead role in determining their migrant intake.....so they can assess infrastructure demand, strain, and development more effectively.

hahahahaha. I thought Yes Minstrels, let's outsource/deflect responsibility away from the Emperor, (shall we give him a pay cut for each) for decisions that actually need a unified and coordinated national response
i.e.
- migration and the now over filled Christmas Island detention (I mean visa processing) centre.

Of course, the Minstrels didn't say how they'd restrict overseas migrants to the state they initially migrated to...

edit:
This whole Labor Fed / State conflict of interest was highlighted beautifully with the Traveston Dam.
Here Fed Labor are, wanting to increase SE Qld's population by 50%, but then Peter and Penny Minstrel knock the dam on the head......so they aren't serious about population increase at all. Presumably the Minstrels think the same water supply that dropped to 15% a few years ago, is adequate for 50% more people. Maybe the Minstrels think housing 50% more people will reduce commercial/agriculture water use by 50%, thereby keeping water usage the same.

Last edited:
Good luck, but that is one road I will not be traveling for a while. I think any market could fall quickly and dramatically this year and leverage can destroy you and as a retiree I'm not about to take that risk.

it's okay - the margined stock is up about 200% - capital is off the table and is the same again in profit. the rest is riding the wave. i needed another 20% rise to take profit off the table again, but it fell back just 5% short.

some decent news expected tonight out of USA, if it gets back to yesterday i'l take profit again.

i don't have many stocks that are margined - but those that are, i am confident in and have adjusted my personal risk/reward ratio to compensate.

#1 - protect your capital.
#2 - protect your profit.
#3 - see #1.

I think any market could fall quickly and dramatically this year and leverage can destroy you and as a retiree I'm not about to take that risk.
The Shanghai Composite Index from what i read is down between 9-11%
from the start of the year,and you have the US dollar 5 month high
so maybe there is some balance going back into the US,and looking at the volumes in some stocks then i don't see any need to panic the first
10 weeks of the year are always up and down then prior to when most of the div's are paided the market runs up..willair..

A week ago I said it looked like a bear. I was called a wimp, or words to that effect.

I would only hold "special situation" stocks now, for the year really. They are losing money too but you hold because you believe they can buck the trend. If you are simply playing the averages and banking the poor dividends offered, you will find it tough. :eek:

Are you guys investors or are you traders.

I think most retail investors stuff up because they try to be one and the same.

As either an investor or trader, i dont think there has been much to worry about.
If you are a trader your tight stop losses should have prevented too much damage. You now just wait for a confirmed trend before you start trading again.

And if you are an investor, the intrinsic value of your shares (so long as they werent resource shares for which i have stated many times i cannot figure out a way to provide an intrinsic value range) should have been stable.

Intelligent diversification (ie not diworsification), can also provide buffers against short term market gyrations. One thing i agree with Sunfish, is that Australia's pool of stocks is very limited. I used the strength in the AU$ to start acquiring top US stocks with excellent barriers to entry and good future profit growth expectations. In the recent pull back in the AU$ this has provided a very nice buffer, together with those stocks that benefit from a lower AU$.

Depending on your cash/equity position it could have been a decent time to top up, especially as alot of hedge funds have been caught on the wrong foot in the last week, this has created some distressed selling which is always beneficial to the investor.

Life is still good, dividends are reasonable, portfolio is cash flow positive, the market has been deflated somewhat which is good as well for the investor, nothing greats future risk like current excessive optimism.

If you've been in the market for ten years you are excused from listening to me. :D

:D:D

I'm not trying to get crazy big gains, unlike some others who actually succeed in doing so. I'm happy to get an average of 10-12% (growth and dividend) over the very long term, and leverage that up a bit. My plan is to keep contributing regularly for the next 10 or so years, and then to simply start collecting the dividends as part of my early retirement, and let the underlying assets tick along, still achieving average growth rates...

Back