Anti Procrastination Thread - Done your tax yet?

So how are you all going with your tax return for this year?

I did mine earlier this week - the first time ever that it has been done on time!

How's everyone else going?

Last edited:
nup - got more pressing issues.

BAS's suffice for the present for me - all my others are up to date and my accountant is booked till late Sept so really - what's to be done?

nuttin'. just waitin'.

YeeeeeHaaaaaa,
done mine last week too. Very proud of myself.... I also did the last 3 years about 6 months ago.......

Tax is like the dentist... you know you should, but you just dont wanna do it.....

luvvit.

Hmmm...nearly done...prolly bout an hours work to go...providing I dont keep putting it off for more interesting things. Its a strange thing, just getting the tax return in means some good coin for the bank account, but I still cant motivate myself to get on and do it right now...what is with that??:confused:

If someone said go for an hours drive and pick up 30K I'd be there in a flash, but put an hour into completing tax...nah..humans are weird!

Nadia

We got our returns back from the accountant today - going to sit on them until April next year before we lodge.

We did very well last year and have an enormous tax bill - time to start saving

I've been all done for weeks, ready to submit, ready to welcome mine and Mrs Farkus' refunds into the bank account....but no. I have to wait for bloody Transurban to issue their tax statements which they say they will on 28 August. Memo for self for 2009/10: stay away from the Transurbans, Westfields, various Maquarie entities, etc. and stick with companies that simply pay dividends, advising the relevant franking there and then, so I don't have to wait for them to get their acts into line and I get my refund in July and not September.

We got our returns back from the accountant today - going to sit on them until April next year before we lodge

We're in a similar position to this. This has been my task for the past 3 weeks. Good to have it done. Now it will sit stagnant for the next 9 months.

Gotta say, it throws the calculations off somewhat when Tenants pre-pay July's rent on June 30. A double edged sword really.

So how are you all going with your tax return for this year?

I did mine earlier this week - the first time ever that it has been done on time!

How's everyone else going?

Not well Minx. Haven't started yet! Spending my time looking for an IP. After that I will start on the tax. I hate preparing the tax it is so boring. :eek:

It took me over a month to get the motivation to pick up the phone and call the accountant...turns out he's booked out till the 24th of this month. So now I have a deadline to make in getting all my crap together. Probably leave it until 23rd to be bothered to start. I operate better under pressure:D

It sounds like many of us leave it to the end to get all their stuff together.

This year I did an hour or two every month which is why I'm organised this time. Usually I have to go hunting through leaning towers of paper to find things.

I've even archived last year's paperwork and have nice clean files in the filing cabinet all ready to go.

Mind you, this just means I've been procrastinating about other things :eek:

There is always something I'm putting off, it just means this year it isn't the tax.

We're in a similar position to this. This has been my task for the past 3 weeks. Good to have it done. Now it will sit stagnant for the next 9 months.

Gotta say, it throws the calculations off somewhat when Tenants pre-pay July's rent on June 30. A double edged sword really.

The nerve of the bast*rds

OK I confess, mine are are done and will be lodged Monday.
Generally I do my fin year end process in Apr/May and then start planning the next fin year, as by that time it's really to late as all you can do is pay some bill in advance.

I wish the ATO would "make you an offer" based on past returns and averages for your profession. They have all these fancy algorithms - let's put them to use helping those of us who loathe their returns.

I'd love it if they'd just say "pay us $12K and you don't have to do a return", or "you get $15K back but no option to claim more", etc.

I'd be willing to pay thousands more (than I otherwise would have to pay, if I did the full return) for the sake of not having to do the return. Win-win! ATO wins from our laziness, gets more cash, on-time, and I get rid of the pressure to do this much-loathed task.

Another option: I wish you could just have every transaction you ever do flagged to the ATO electronically, and then at the end of the FY they send you a completed return based on complete disclosure of your finances, and you just tweak it if they've missed or mis-classified anything. If you're willing to forgo privacy, you get convenience. If you're more concerned about privacy, or are doing something dodgy that you don't want them to know about :rolleyes:, you can opt to stick with the current system.

PS You're asking who's done ZERO NINE? Crikey... I won't say which return I'm working on right now :eek:

Experimenting for 2010

All mine are done........personal, trusts, and Co. Personally, I have to pay a little extra this year :( ..........how stimulating :p

It was good (very good :D) there for a while.

Now I'm am prognosticating on the 2010 year's return. A bit like chemistry classes of years gone by, where you know the outcome and have to work backwards by applying Rig's Constant.......not that I'm intimating that I am going to "rig" my return.

Knowing what sort of refund I want next year..........I am preparing my strategy moving forward, by purchasing the right type of IP and/or participating in more cashflow type stategies in our family trust which still has losses to be offset against.

Back to the chem lab to work out my experiment and the necessary ingredients for my recipe of tax minimisation (not evasion ;))

I won't even begin mine till around April. My accountant likes to get all the PAYG stuff out of the way during the first couple of months, then he's got plenty of time for the not so straight forward stuff. He is then at my beck & call.

Did mine the first week of the new year as usual. Expecting to get the annual report back from my accountant next week to find out how much I earned.