Anti Union homies

That is just complete ignorance of the real situation, and you know it.

If by complete ignorance you mean I am not a baby boomer so wouldnt know, then yes. If by complete ignorance you mean that the data about the effect baby boomers had on the economy is wrong, thats your opinion.

Theres plenty of evidence to show the baby boomers had it pretty easy compared to the current generations. By shear force of numbers they were able to skew economic decions their way. It started with elvis and the recording industry, and currently its uneven retirement policies for thos pre-and post baby boomer.

Baby boomers paid tax while they worked and now get a pension card, a big tax free house in the inner ring, and a pension, or part government funded pension. Gen x's pay tax, pay super, and may or may not get a pension when they retire. It basically depends on whether they make good investment decisions with their super, and or whether future generations agree to support them in their old age.

Gen x's pay tax, pay super, and may or may not get a pension when they retire. It basically depends on whether they make good investment decisions with their super, and or whether future generations agree to support them in their old age.

X pay tax like the BB before them. Silly point to make there.

Gen x pay super?? Not the workers from their own pockets they don't.

I know tons of BB's paying the super of the other Gen's - my BB husband has paid a shoitload to them, and continues to do so, thank you very much.

If there's no pension in 20 - 30 years time it's because others have paid it, not because they have paid anything out of their own pocket.

As for BB's living in the inner city ring (?all of them, are you sure?), how about when they die or sell up you can have those properties. Only hitch is there are so many people wanting them it'll cost you. Just ask the BB's that live in the burbs.

Baby boomers paid tax while they worked and now get a pension card, a big tax free house in the inner ring, and a pension, or part government funded pension.
You keep bangin' on about these inner ring houses like they should be freely available and cheap to the masses.

Don't forget the rates on those babies these days too...ouch.

They were at the end of civilisation back in those days - not inner ring at all. They were "cheaper" then in dollar terms, but not more affordable for the folk of the times.

Two examples;

1. my Grandmother ran a boarding house on Princes Highway (Dandenong road) down near the Caulfield station. It was near the tram track going into the City, but was - in those days - an outer suburb. She was a stay at home mum and my GF was a train driver - not high income earners at all; just hard workers and good with dollars.

Now that house is worth almost $2 mill, and it is the sort of house that if it was at the end of civilsation now it would be someone's McMansion (it was a guesthouse; so quite a decent size) - either a second PPoR or a very good first PPoR.

But, no-one wants to live out at the end of civilisation these days - it's not the BB's fault the current FHB's have that mindset.

2. My Auntie lived in a new tract home out in Burwood - again; end of civilsation back then, down a dirt road at the end of the Burwood Hwy tram line. Now Burwood is middle ring; very nice second PPoR's and very good first PPoR's.

If you look at those two houses now as a FHB, you would be seething because they are unaffordable to most of them, and they bleat it's not fair.

It's not the BB's fault the population tripled or whatever, forcing folk further and further out from the CBD.

It's supply and demand, and the more close in areas will always be more sought after.

What's with the gripe over the pension too?

You'll probably get it when you retire; it will probably still be around - but why would you even want it?

It's pathetic, and anyone who has one is not living like Bill Gates, despite what type of house they live in. My In-laws own their own house and a factory, and still get the pension. But they don't live the life of Reilly, I can assure you.

Get over it (the pension) and forget it's there.

There will always be some folk in various generations who will get stuff that other generations didn't. I never got a FHOG, or any "Plasma" handouts, etc....big deal.

You are sounding like the kid who got less presents at Xmas than your brother.

Gen x's pay tax, pay super, and may or may not get a pension when they retire.
Their Employer pays their super for them....

BB's didn't have Employer Super Guarantee.

Oh yeah; it's going up by .25% in July.

Another friggin' cost I'll have to wear. Good on ya, Gubb and Unions. Happy Days.

Now let's talk whinging.

Last edited:
Theres plenty of evidence to show the baby boomers had it pretty easy compared to the current generations.
No way.

Today there is far more to be bought, and people do find a lot more to buy.

There's household electronics. Computers, phones, tables. Big screen colour TVs- I was three years out of uni before I even had a B&W TV. 20 channels FTA plus lots of pay TV channels, PVR and surround sound. Microwaves. Even freezers were uncommon.

There's food. Takeaway is a way of life now. It was a rare treat once. And the range of food is so much better. Before migration really hit, you couldn't find strange foods like capsicums, chillies, many of the herbs and spices. Prepared food. Chinese, Indian, Malaysian, Ethiopian, Mexican food. The supermarket probably had 10% (or less) of what it has now. Meals at my home consisted of plain cooked meat and three boiled veg. We had five spices in the house- of which only pepper was ever used in cooking.

There's travel. In 1970 my parents paid $1,000 for one return ticket to USA. To put that into perspective- my first job after uni in 1976 had a salary of about $6,000 pa. And when you got there, and had to contact home- you either sent an aerogram, or in an emergency, called by phone at $2 per minute. I have a daughter who after six months working has so far spent twelve months travelling.

Well, she did work a lot of hours. That wasn't possible way back. Days at retail, nights at bars, weekends at Subway. Once upon a time everything shut at midday Saturday. Until the mid 60s, pubs in Victoria closed at 6PM.

And socially. We had Vietnam and conscription. White Australia. Sporting events like football were never ever on a Sunday, let alone weekday nights.

In so many ways we're much better off than we were years ago. I couldn't go back to the way we were. People today have so much more- and if there's the feeling of less prosperity now to you, that would be because there's much more that you have.

Each generation has had to work damn hard for what they get. But each generation gets more prosperous than the one before it. My grandkids will probably complain how much better their parents had it, while enjoying a level of prosperity well above what we have now.

Exactly right.

I had it much easier than my parents, who had it easier than theirs etc etc. My grandparents lived their early married lives during world war 2, a time of hardship, no petrol, food rationing. My great grandparents lived and worked through world war 1 and the great depression.

My kids already have had a much easier life than I did at their ages. I'd expect this to continue.

See ya's.

Tobe, BB did not have free healthcare till later in life like you have now.

Medicare commenced in 1975.

Before that it was it was either private health cover or you were lumbered with the full medical costs and hospital stay.

Seriously, reread what you've written. You've got it all backwards :confused:.

Baby boomers paid tax while they worked and now get a pension card, a big tax free house in the inner ring, and a pension, or part government funded pension. Gen x's pay tax, pay super, and may or may not get a pension when they retire. It basically depends on whether they make good investment decisions with their super, and or whether future generations agree to support them in their old age.

Mate, this is just a dribbly whinge. Toughen up, you're better than that.

When I read that, I instantly thought about all those moaners on that ABC drivel surrounding Nathan when he only had 8 properties and they were whinging how tough it was and they'd been priced out of the market and couldn't afford one.

C'mon, lift your game.

Each generation has had to work damn hard for what they get. But each generation gets more prosperous than the one before it. My grandkids will probably complain how much better their parents had it, while enjoying a level of prosperity well above what we have now.

Kudos Geoff.

lol, its not my winge personally. Ive moved on long ago, hence my foray into property investment. I decided I was better off to play by the rules of the game, rather than try and change them.

My earlier posts about the BB's, (as a generation, not as individuals) was just an observation, that their influence on society was larger than their size, and it continues to be so.

things that I think, in my opinion that continue because of BB's influence today are things like,

negative gearing
tax free super withdrawals
lame rules about qualifying for the age pension/health care card
seniors offset tax deduction
double dipping of subsequent generations paying both tax and super contributions

These are all sacred cows to the government because the BB's are a large voting block.

Theres not a day goes by the media doesnt comment on our 'ageing population' and the coming fiscal apocalypse. tim colebatch had an interesting article that referred to it in todays age actually.

http://www.theage.com.au/opinion/po...-in-order-of-plausibility-20130501-2irpa.html

It strikes me as ironic the Gen-Y people who whinge about baby boomers when their parents are BBs and have provided the money for shelter, food and their new iPads.

Theres not a day goes by the media doesnt comment on our 'ageing population' and the coming fiscal apocalypse.

Theres not a day goes by the media doesnt make comment on the good that the largest demopgraphic provided as a collective coming out of war times etc.

Theres not a day goes by when media supports the leftist view and does flame the other view.

Theres not a day goes by that media dont just tell the news as it happened, it's always got to be spun around to suit agenda.

Back