Anti Union homies

Unions are good. Without them we wouldn't have what we have today. A lot of people on this thread have no idea.

Without them 50 years ago, yes.

Today, things are a lot better with stricter OSH requirements etc. That's what unions do, care about worker safety am I right? I'm sure people are big and grown up and negotiate a fair wage?

Unions are good. Without them we wouldn't have what we have today. A lot of people on this thread have no idea.

Ok.

Without them we wouldn't have Craig Thompson and many others sitting in court facing 100's charges of corruption involving Union members funds.
Even the current Prime Minister has been implicated in Union corruption!

Without them many a job lost would still be here.

Food for thought;

If all these things were to go;
The Employer Super Guarantee (about to go up),
11 paid sick days per year
4 weeks paid annual leave per year (my wife gets 6 weeks)
Penalty rates
Worcare premuims
Payroll tax (not me personally, but you get the idea)
Redundancy pay
Severance pay
Long service leave
Long service leave pay
Paid maternity leave
Parental leave
Change of shift allowances
Forced permanent employment (as opposed to casual)......

I could afford to pay for almost 2 more staff - that's double what I currently have....and that's in a climate of a business not travelling that well. We are still making money, but it's definitely not beer and skittles.

Now whining - just stating the climate

If it was going great; certainly more employees would be at our place - everyone's place..

I get blokes coming to me on a weekly basis asking for Mechanic apprenticeships....sorry boys.

Meanwhile, folk are buying car parts and tyres etc from O/S on Ebay etc, thus guaranteeing more jobs are gone.

Imagine the scale when you talk about companies such as GMH and Ford, who have collectively axed several hundreds jobs in the last 12 months.

Other car part companies have closed their doors forever.

I'm not saying get rid of Unions; just that they the Unions need to take all of these sorts of current world factors on board before they act, and I really believe what we have achieved for our workers is now coming back to bite them because of the Global Economy.

People would argue we need sick leave; we don't - get your own loss of income insurance - it's tax deductible.

People would argue we need long service leave - we absolutely don't. You get rewarded for working a long time by having a job and getting paid every week, and getting promotions.

People would argue we need the super guarantee - we don't - save for your own bloody retirement.

People would argue we need paid holidays (don't even start me on loading) - we don't - why should you get paid for not working?

People would argue we need paid public holidays - we don't - it's another junket from the good old days but the world has changed.

Meanwhile, staff pull sickies they don't need, start late and finish early, steal stuff, work too slow and are unproductive, etc.

The combined sum is less jobs, and less jobs.

Workers and Unions need a bloody good wake up call, and the Global Economy is giving it to them.

Last edited:
Even the current Prime Minister has been implicated in Union corruption!

You make it sound like she's not one of the main players being investigated by Victoria Police as we speak (the complaint to police that prompted the investigation was about her conduct).

Gillard has secured her place and protected her position because she's placed the unions ahead of everything.

She's been unashamedly open about where her loyalties lie.

Both the age care EBA (a condition of getting a rise is being in the union) and CC worker pay rises were about increasing membership imo.

They need this to take over from manufacturing and the PS, and to a lesser extent mining and building - childcare and aged care are growth areas and you can't take them offshore!

Food for thought;

If all these things were to go;
The Employer Super Guarantee (about to go up),
11 paid sick days per year
4 weeks paid annual leave per year (my wife gets 6 weeks)
Penalty rates
Worcare premuims
Payroll tax (not me personally, but you get the idea)
Redundancy pay
Severance pay
Long service leave
Long service leave pay
Paid maternity leave
Parental leave
Change of shift allowances
Forced permanent employment (as opposed to casual)......

I could afford to pay for almost 2 more staff - that's double what I currently have....and that's in a climate of a business not travelling that well. We are still making money, but it's definitely not beer and skittles.

Now whining - just stating the climate

If it was going great; certainly more employees would be at our place - everyone's place..

I get blokes coming to me on a weekly basis asking for Mechanic apprenticeships....sorry boys.

Meanwhile, folk are buying car parts and tyres etc from O/S on Ebay etc, thus guaranteeing more jobs are gone.

Imagine the scale when you talk about companies such as GMH and Ford, who have collectively axed several hundreds jobs in the last 12 months.

Other car part companies have closed their doors forever.

I'm not saying get rid of Unions; just that they the Unions need to take all of these sorts of current world factors on board before they act, and I really believe what we have achieved for our workers is now coming back to bite them because of the Global Economy.

People would argue we need sick leave; we don't - get your own loss of income insurance - it's tax deductible.

People would argue we need long service leave - we absolutely don't. You get rewarded for working a long time by having a job and getting paid every week, and getting promotions.

People would argue we need the super guarantee - we don't - save for your own bloody retirement.

People would argue we need paid holidays (don't even start me on loading) - we don't - why should you get paid for not working?

People would argue we need paid public holidays - we don't - it's another junket from the good old days but the world has changed.

Meanwhile, staff pull sickies they don't need, start late and finish early, steal stuff, work too slow and are unproductive, etc.

The combined sum is less jobs, and less jobs.

Workers and Unions need a bloody good wake up call, and the Global Economy is giving it to them.
@bayview yes I no what you mean I would be the same if I owned a business. But I'm at the opposite end of the scale where I work on the biggest job in the country for companies who make millions of dollars of profit every year. Unions are the reason we get looked after at work.

wanna bet ..... :), some interesting unintended consequences of the NBN due soon , maybe
ta
rolf

My comment on mining and building is based on the predicted slowdown in these areas in the coming years.

That and Labour going into in a weak position and possibly out for 2 terms means a drop in membership and loss of power to the unions.

I think they're very much trying to achieve what they can now for those reasons.

@bayview yes I no what you mean I would be the same if I owned a business. But I'm at the opposite end of the scale where I work on the biggest job in the country for companies who make millions of dollars of profit every year. Unions are the reason we get looked after at work.
If your job (Company operation) could be done OS, would there still be a job for you here?

That is our last protection boys and girls - a business that can only be operated from Aus.

I'm not anti-Union; I'm anti lack of common sense.

When you have working scenarios where folk cannot be gotten rid of who are not working for the Company, or when that Company feels it is better served to move OS or close down, or the rules are so restrictive that folk don't want to employ staff any longer, or can't afford to, or worse; are afraid to - then it has all gone too far.

Last edited:

Consider what would be left of the economy if ALL industries, occupations and employees were ONLY employed under union direction. We would be LESS globally competitive than what we are now!! Unions are not good for the economy. They ARE good for bludgers and work dodgers..."all bludgers and dodgers are to be paid the same rate of pay, regardless of which company they are bludging for..."

Anyone who is a hard worker that brings something to the table has nothing to fear, if you want to bludge get ready for the horns because the bull is ANGRY:mad::mad:

70k to shovel dirt? my bricklayers labourer is on $220 net per day and bricklayer makes 80-100k a year and works 6:30am start finish 4pm 6 days a week.
Must be a different Country to Aus...I'm yet to see one work past about 3, and forget a worksite being open if there's a public holiday within a bull's roar of a normal weekend so they can shuffle in another day off for a long weekend.

Try getting some bricks laid on a Fri afternoon ahead of a long weekend...even after knockoff on Thurs, for that matter.

They (tradies) are the kings of doing little, and the first to whinge when the work dries up..

Must be a different Country to Aus...I'm yet to see one work past about 3, and forget a worksite being open if there's a public holiday within a bull's roar of a normal weekend so they can shuffle in another day off for a long weekend.

Try getting some bricks laid on a Fri afternoon ahead of a long weekend...even after knockoff on Thurs, for that matter.

They (tradies) are the kings of doing little, and the first to whinge when the work dries up..

Rubbish. There are some fantastic tradies out there, they arent all lazy and overpaid. Ive had work done ahead of a long weekend and most trades I use work after 4.

Without a lie my bricklayer and his team work like that 6 days a week, does not matter friday or monday hard workers.

Plus the actual business owner/layer stays back when the labourer goes home to set up scaffold for next days work and cleans the site up, amazing team.

you have my carpenter who turns up at 8:00 sets up his tools until 8:30 works for 3 hours has a 1 and half hour break works for another 2 hours packs up and goes home.

Without a lie my bricklayer and his team work like that 6 days a week, does not matter friday or monday hard workers.

Plus the actual business owner/layer stays back when the labourer goes home to set up scaffold for next days work and cleans the site up, amazing team.

paid hourly or per brick laid ??

ta
rolf

Back