anti-whaling petition

I received this today and although I generally don't sign e-mail petitions as I don't see how they work, this one is different. They are aiming for one million signatures.
Anyone who'd like to sign it, please do and forward the website on to as many people as possible.
If you click on "tell a friend" a generic email comes up that you can send to people

http://www.whalesrevenge.com

This year I've eaten whale about 5 times, it's quite good.

The prefecture (state) I'm in decided to include it in the primary school lunch menu, since I regularly teach at the schools and have lunch with the kids I got the whale too. Japanese don't eat whale often at all, it is rare, so it was quite a treat for teachers, kids and me.

Then we had a family lunch last month at the local seafood restaurant and guess what, they had whale on the menu. We had it served 4 different styles ... lovely.

I've never eaten whale before (is it illegal in Australia?). However I probably wouldnt enjoy it, I don't usually like "big meat". I find they have this really hard texture.

Whale meat is yummy marinated with soy sauce and garlic and then pan fried.

However i much prefer dolphin which is very tender and tastes a bit like marlin.

I had some overseas guests visiting recently who wanted to try emu, kangaroo and crocodile so we went out for a mixed grill which also included koala sausages (very meaty and not full of lips, hooves and rectums like regular sausage meat).

My guests were surprised that we eat the animals on our coat of arms :eek:

Hey Mary, where can ya have a go of the koala in Sydney? Wouldn't mind having a go next time I'm there. I've had crocodile before - just tastes like chicken - quite bland really. Just prefer to go a chicken boobie rather than pay five times that for croc.

Mark

No, Duncan. It's not an arrogant sneering attitude, they can't se why the rest of the world is seeing fit to tell them what it is morally right or wrong to eat. In their view, the anti whaling nations are the holier-than-thou arrogant sneering ones. Given the press I read, I'd say they at least have a case.

I don't have a position on the whaling issue, but if I did it would be that if it is such a tragedy that such creatures face extinction then why aren't we farming them? The economics and the guaranteed market from the Japanese would work quite nicely.

Last edited by a moderator:
personally i don't eat any meat that isn't farmed especially for human consumption. to take indiscriminately from the wild animals that are being rapidly depleated merely to satisfy human desires is (in my opinion) irresponsible to our planet.

i include tiger penis, turtle soup and rino horn on that list.

Yes! Spot on Lizzie and Duncan.... I think you have hit matters right on the head...my neighbor and I were only talking the other day [we both live on farms] and said it's been a long time since we have seen any decent tiger penis's...however there seems to be an over abundance of chinnuts around this year......and we are both quite partial to that.

I agree Lizzie. The consumption of any endangered species, especially those as intelligent as dolphins or whales is absolutely in my mind disgusting. I really feel very strongly about this, as I do about all environmental issues. I strongly believe that we should only eat what we can farm, and what we can farm sustainably

The biggest issue with the Japanese whaling is that they are doing it ILLEGALLY in an internationally recognised WHALE SANCTUARY which was established to give the whale populations a chance to recover from the intensive whaling that occurred for most of the 20th century. If they were whaling in their own waters, then I am sure there would not be so much to-do about it from other countries. Having totally depleted their own whale/dolphin/fish stocks though they now think it is their right to do the same with the whale populations over half a world away from their territorial fishing grounds despite the fact that these whales are a valuable resource to Australian and New Zealand tourism businesses, and the earth in general.

As for whale farming - it would be difficult as whales are migratory animals and their birth rate is very low. It is not only whaling that threatens their survival either, but global warming, pollution, overfishing, ozone depletion, noise and ship strikes. Overfishing threatens the food supply of whales and, in addition, whales are at risk as a result of entanglement in fishing gear.

Nat:mad: :mad: :mad:

P.S - If dolphin tastes like Marlin, then bloody well eat Marlin!!!

P.P.S - Patosan, if I was you I wouldn't eat whale meat, and certainly wouldn't let my kids eat it. It is another fact that whale meat and blubber contains some of the highest concentrations of toxins due to air and water pollution making it's way to the waters in the Arctic and Antarctic.

"Whale blubber is now contaminated with organochlorines including PCBs, substances known to damage development of the young and affect reproduction. The blubber of dead toothed whales found in some areas contain such high levels of organochlorines that they would be classified as toxic waste." - Greenpeace website. Mmmmmm Yummy!!!

our obsession said:
..however there seems to be an over abundance of chinnuts around this year......and we are both quite partial to that.
Do you farm them or do they run around wild in your neck of the woods?:D
Cheers,
Peter

Back