Any Bus Drivers out there?

Hi All,

I have a close friend who is thinking about driving buses, as in driving certain routes, picking up passagers.

Does anybody have any feedback on this type of job? He knows it is shift work and pays around $55,000.

Is it "dangerous" like driving a taxi?

Cheers

GG

i would imagine "the general public" and "money owed for services rendered" is a bad mix in any profession - so yes, i reckon it would be like being a taxi driver.

Yes have a family friend that has come out of retirement to drive a bus. Something about the GFC wiping out his super fund. Just part time a few days a week but he loves it. Does mostly school runs though.

i would imagine "the general public" and "money owed for services rendered" is a bad mix in any profession - so yes, i reckon it would be like being a taxi driver.

Yes, there are safety issues with driving buses, such as rock throwers on some routes at night. But generally I'd say that bus driving is safer, more secure with better employment conditions than taxis.

Bus fares are a small standard amount that is paid before the commencement of the trip. Many passengers have prepaid tickets.

A taxi fare is a large non-standard amount that is paid after the trip (exceptions apply at night).

If someone does a runner from your taxi you don't get paid.

If someone tries boarding your bus without paying you do whatever required to put your and other passengers safety first. And you still get paid even if someone evades a fare.

When driving a taxi you're on your own. On a bus there's usually other passengers.

So overall buses would be better than taxis, and maybe this explains why there seem to be more long-term bus drivers than taxi drivers (who are often students or immigrants doing the work until they can get a better job).

My neighbour drives buses. He mainly does school runs which he always complains about. Rude kids etc. I wouldn't want to do that I must admit.

Is he looking at private bus company or Govt?

My hubby worked dropping people from the airport to hotels for a while. He hated it. Now he drives for QANTAS. YEEEHAHH!!!:D:D:D Hence my name.

Yes, there are safety issues with driving buses, such as rock throwers on some routes at night. But generally I'd say that bus driving is safer, more secure with better employment conditions than taxis.

Bus fares are a small standard amount that is paid before the commencement of the trip. Many passengers have prepaid tickets.

A taxi fare is a large non-standard amount that is paid after the trip (exceptions apply at night).

If someone does a runner from your taxi you don't get paid.

If someone tries boarding your bus without paying you do whatever required to put your and other passengers safety first. And you still get paid even if someone evades a fare.

When driving a taxi you're on your own. On a bus there's usually other passengers.

So overall buses would be better than taxis, and maybe this explains why there seem to be more long-term bus drivers than taxi drivers (who are often students or immigrants doing the work until they can get a better job).

Agree Spiderman, I think it would be safer than taxis because of other people on the bus and you don't drive them at 4am:rolleyes:

He was wondering about the day to day job.

Cheers

GG

My hubby drove buses for a few years until recently retiring. It is much better than taxis but it is getting more difficult.

I doubt your friend would be getting $55,000 per year unless he was doing evening shifts and not surprisingly most violence happens in the evening. Hubby made the decision to work only day shifts for less money. There were occasional instances of drivers being attacked during the day but hubby has always worked with people so he was able handle difficult customers before they got out of hand.

Road rage is increasing though and is something that he is happy to leave behind. I remember him coming home and telling me about one nutcase standing at his window, punching the bus with one fist and a can of rum and coke in the other fist.

As an ex cub scout leader he has enjoyed working the school runs but he gave it up because it became too stressful with all responsibility and no authority. Food throwing fights were a daily occurrence, bullying was constant, the noise was deafening and there was nothing he could do about it. Often he had 50 to 80 kids of all ages and from different schools and he was the only adult. I wonder how many teachers would take 50 kids out for a walk in a park on their own. Hubby often stopped the bus to stop fights and split up the troublemakers even though he was not legally allowed to. Eventually he had to give in to company pressure and ignore most of the rioting going on behind him before he took the easy way out and moved on to adult passengers.

If you like people, don’t get riled easily and enjoy driving then Bus driving can be a good job to keep the bank happy but it’s the PI that I recommend if you ever want to retire.

Back