Any campers, travellers, 4wders on board?

Hi all,

Just updating our map of places we've been tonight. Thought Id see who else gets around!

We have a 100 series landcruiser and have been moving around since 2009. Mostly following work to get the next spot! We did just have a tent but now an old caravan to keep us going now that we have kids, not ready to give in and settle! We tried and we lasted just under 2yrs in Sydney (both originally from) but not being 5 min from work and having missing the gypsy life got us out again

We usually have a sort of a base that we set up in then travel from there. But have done a lot of short contracts in between. Shortest contract was Emerald for 10 days over new years. A few come close for longest but around 8-10months
2009 Cairns 9mths
2010 Tamworth, NSW 10mts
2011 Biloela, Qld 8mths?
2012 Sydney Penrith
2013 Sydney Penrith
2014 on the road. mostly gladstone to have a baby
2015 Northam, WA this year till oct.

Starting to tick off the sights in WA and get used to the time difference.... 20years;);)
Dont laugh queensland your 10years behind:D
I think thats whats gets us out the attitudes and relaxed life away from the city. And if your from sydney and travelling try not to say your from Sydney! You always get a look as if your a little "special". In qld saying your from penrith was better cause they know there is footy team!

This link might work otherwie there is a snapshot
https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=zuaIHbuOpQU0.kd2MN5tgRBKU

Attachments

• Our travels 2015.jpg
    Our travels 2015.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 70
Hi Bob. I get around but not for work. Hubby is away camping with his besties atm and I was stuck at work as I had started to form a habit of being "sick" the third Friday of May every year for several years. Cant sleep, I wish I was sitting around the campfire instead. Going camping again in July for ten days on the NSW north coast and will get in some great day trips on the motorbike up into the mountains. I met my husband at a campground when we were teenagers and we have since been married nearly 35 years.

My first adventure was in August 1976 when my high school geography teacher hired two school buses and took a group from Brisbane to Wilpena Pound and Lake Eyre. The Birdsville Track was still closed from the '74 floods so we went on the Strzelecki Track instead and home via Birdsville. Who says you need a 4WD? He had a Land Rover but none of the other vehicles were
4WD. I remember us all having a bath in Coopers Creek.

If my employers can manage to approve my LSL before the ferry gets booked out, we will be going to Tassie again in February. It will be my fourth visit. Another memorable camp was at Mt Kaputar National Park near Narrabri in NSW.

My atlas has highlighter on all the various ways one can get from Brisbane to Melbourne without using a main interstate highway.

You've done a pretty good job so far, Adam!!

I'm not really a camper (but love camping) or 4wd-er, but have been to a few places.

Played in a Pro-Am at Biloela!! (and Caliope) and Dysart, and Emerald, and....)

My first adventure was in August 1976 when my high school geography teacher hired two school buses and took a group from Brisbane to Wilpena Pound and Lake Eyre. The Birdsville Track was still closed from the '74 floods
We had those huge floods that year too - up in Deniliquin where I lived - whole town almost went under.

Last edited:
I have always only had a sedan, I am running out of places to go on sealed roads so I will have to buy a 4wd next :)

We have stopped saying "been there" so that friends will talk about their travels, no one likes a "topper" :)

I am thinking of having an "island year" been to Tassie twice, Rottnest, Fraser, Thursday, Horn and Phillip but I could do Kangaroo, Lord Howe, Stradbroke, Magnetic and Norfolk, that would do me for a years wandering.

We don't camp. Just the thought of it makes me shiver, but I'm happy to stay in whatever dodgy accommodation we find on the way. Like some scummy truckstop we stayed at in outback QLD. No town for miles in either direction, and it was getting dark, so we pulled up nice & safe for some clean sheets in a dodgy old donga.

We've travelled a lot. Again, not for work. We live & work in Sydney.

It started out as a part of us having to go interstate for sports competitions each year. We'd book our holidays to co-inside with the comps, then take another week or two afterwards & explore.

We've done most of NSW, VIC & SA. Through the middle then out to Tenants Creek. We still need to do the top end of QLD, NT & WA. We've both been to Tassie, but not as a couple. Also NZ, Thailand, Malaysia & the Theme Parks in California.

Love camping and 4wd'ing. Used to have a Surf/4 Runner when my husband and I lived on the far north coast of NSW. Loved going bush and disappearing for a few days. Got ourselves into a few precarious situations!

When we moved to Melbourne still had the surf but life got in the way and didn't explore as much as we wanted to then the surf died a slow death.

Now we're up north I'm surprised they allowed us here without having a 4wd. Currently looking at getting a mid 2000's Grand Vitara. Not quite a soft roader but still semi competent with the dual range gear box. Can't wait till we get one so we can explore the beautiful area we now live in.

We've also been using work to explore the country. Started over 4 years ago with 8 months in Darwin, explored the whole area and even did scenic flights around Kakudu and 4w driving as part of my job. We both got a 3 month gig in Alice after that which was the best ever. Lots of 4w driving around that stunning country. Accommodation provided by work there too!

Then a big drive down the Stuey Highway, across the bottom and up the west coast to work in Carnarvon, also amazing with nice house provided at low cost. Hubby couldn't get work there so stayed three months and drove up to Broome where we got stuck for three years with great jobs and conditions. We moved to Kununurra a few months ago, same deal with the house.

Just been offered a great job in Albury Wodonga so going to take a month to drive down in time for the ski season :) Will have our first look at our ip in Illawarra on the way. We also bought a house down near Albury Wodonga last year on half an acre. Going to have a look around the area, looking forward to winter mountain sports and possibly buy a big block of land, who knows..

Australia has the most incredible opportunities for working holidays. We also spent a couple of years in South Island NZ doing the same thing. Not sure yet where we'll settle, either NZ or country Vic.

Hi Bob,
We used to camp every fortnight up at Wisemans ferry when the kids were younger. Friends had a farm and we used to water ski there. We also did a few longer trips but I wasn't a huge fan.

Fast forward 20 years and hubby has been nagging for years to get a motorhome. I finally relented and we bought a cheap motorhome to give it a try. We've had it for about 18 months and go away for long weekends (now that i only work 3 days it's great).
We id a one month trip in January to Tassie (which got me hooked). Before that I thought a month was too long to be in a van). I see your map doesn't include Tassie. It's amazing. Really RV friendly. We paid a total of $127 for accom for the month. So many amazing free camps.

Hubby is now nagging me to retire, buy a newer van and do the big lap. Only problem is I LOVE travelling (hence my name) and I don't want to give up my overseas travel. I travel at least 3 months a year. :D
We need to nutt out how that will work as he's not so keen on the overseas stuff.

What are you up to in Northam? You may know our friends who have 2,000 acres in Northam. Bob and Suppatra.

Attachments

• IMG_7866.jpg
    IMG_7866.jpg
    580.3 KB · Views: 67
  • IMG_7863.jpg
    IMG_7863.jpg
    446.3 KB · Views: 63
  • IMG_7865.JPG
    IMG_7865.JPG
    928.8 KB · Views: 66
Hi Bob,
We used to camp every fortnight up at Wisemans ferry when the kids were younger. Friends had a farm and we used to water ski there. We also did a few longer trips but I wasn't a huge fan.

Fast forward 20 years and hubby has been nagging for years to get a motorhome. I finally relented and we bought a cheap motorhome to give it a try. We've had it for about 18 months and go away for long weekends (now that i only work 3 days it's great).
We id a one month trip in January to Tassie (which got me hooked). Before that I thought a month was too long to be in a van). I see your map doesn't include Tassie. It's amazing. Really RV friendly. We paid a total of $127 for accom for the month. So many amazing free camps.

Hubby is now nagging me to retire, buy a newer van and do the big lap. Only problem is I LOVE travelling (hence my name) and I don't want to give up my overseas travel. I travel at least 3 months a year. :D
We need to nutt out how that will work as he's not so keen on the overseas stuff.

What are you up to in Northam? You may know our friends who have 2,000 acres in Northam. Bob and Suppatra.

Hey TB
Would hubby consider motorhoming around Europe as a compromise? We had a motorhome over there and had amazing experiences. Scotland was particularly lovely. Mainland Europe has amazing schemes such as Frenchpassion for example that make motorhoming much more pleasurable and more cost effective than being cramped in with others on a campsite.

I'll need to sit down for a bit and read through everything.

I'm with ellejay, motor home oz then go overseas and do it too! That's a compromise! ... Can i come??

Kinnon! I want to get back to fnq! Love it so much to see and do! Yeah a little suzuki is the go, those will go anywhere. fun trips up to cooktown along the coast road and creb track if your game! We did the cape and its gotta be one of the best places we've been. Although its getting busy and more touristy, we avoided peak times

We don't camp. Just the thought of it makes me shiver, but I'm happy to stay in whatever dodgy accommodation we find on the way. Like some scummy truckstop we stayed at in outback QLD. No town for miles in either direction, and it was getting dark, so we pulled up nice & safe for some clean sheets in a dodgy old donga.

We've travelled a lot. Again, not for work. We live & work in Sydney.

It started out as a part of us having to go interstate for sports competitions each year. We'd book our holidays to co-inside with the comps, then take another week or two afterwards & explore.

We've done most of NSW, VIC & SA. Through the middle then out to Tenants Creek. We still need to do the top end of QLD, NT & WA. We've both been to Tassie, but not as a couple. Also NZ, Thailand, Malaysia & the Theme Parks in California.

We lived in a donga for 3 months in innisfsil! Haha, not as dodgey as it sounds. The owners put in a kitchen painted it, had air con. You could upgrade it to"cottage"status! I'll have to find a photo of the view over the cane fields! Sunrise every morning was million dollar stuff! And with a2 year old

I have always only had a sedan, I am running out of places to go on sealed roads so I will have to buy a 4wd next :)

We have stopped saying "been there" so that friends will talk about their travels, no one likes a "topper" :)

I am thinking of having an "island year" been to Tassie twice, Rottnest, Fraser, Thursday, Horn and Phillip but I could do Kangaroo, Lord Howe, Stradbroke, Magnetic and Norfolk, that would do me for a years wandering.

Add heron island to your list! Pricey but say your a local to get a discount;)

Hi Bob. I get around but not for work. Hubby is away camping with his besties atm and I was stuck at work as I had started to form a habit of being "sick" the third Friday of May every year for several years. Cant sleep, I wish I was sitting around the campfire instead. Going camping again in July for ten days on the NSW north coast and will get in some great day trips on the motorbike up into the mountains. I met my husband at a campground when we were teenagers and we have since been married nearly 35 years.

My first adventure was in August 1976 when my high school geography teacher hired two school buses and took a group from Brisbane to Wilpena Pound and Lake Eyre. The Birdsville Track was still closed from the '74 floods so we went on the Strzelecki Track instead and home via Birdsville. Who says you need a 4WD? He had a Land Rover but none of the other vehicles were
4WD. I remember us all having a bath in Coopers Creek.

If my employers can manage to approve my LSL before the ferry gets booked out, we will be going to Tassie again in February. It will be my fourth visit. Another memorable camp was at Mt Kaputar National Park near Narrabri in NSW.

My atlas has highlighter on all the various ways one can get from Brisbane to Melbourne without using a main interstate highway.

Haha fancy 4wds not required! That something people that haven't been say you need! we did cape York solo, and everyone says you need more than one etc etc... It would be best but if you take it slow and use your head you'll survive! Such a strange mentality that its super extreme you won't make.... Best question is "have you been?"
Although driving through water up to/over my ribs is a little mad! We made it to tell the story!
What moto riding? id love to buy another trail bike and get out there around coffs and port mac in the forests!

Not so much a 4wder anymore but onto my 5th Land Rover.

I hike these days and busted the shocks on my little Citreon hatch up at Barrington Tops. Went back to a Defender as it is a much more practical setup for car-based camping and for accessing the harder to get to walking tracks.

In my younger days I did some 4x4 trips in the Victorian High Country, Brindabellas, Oodnadatta Track and East Coast of Arnhem Land. Numerous day and weekend trips west, South and North of Sydney.

As for walking Overland Track in Tas (twice), Milford Track, Everest Circuit / Gokyo Lakes, Tour de Blanc. I'm thinking of heading to Patagonia at the end of the year. I walk reasonably regularly in the Blue Mountains. Even gave first aid and set off my PLB for a crashed base-jumper when I was training for near Blackheath for the walk in Nepal.

I've been quite saddened by the earthquakes in Nepal. They are happy and friendly people. I'd like to go back sometime.

Is it just me, or is the 4WD crowd full of w*nkers and show-offs?

We get 'em all the time in my workshop, and they are annoying as hell.

Ravin' on about their bloody "series 80's" and all this. :rolleyes:

haha yeah a lot are! up there with the grey nomads for being tool buckets!

it goes from being a 4wd to get you places to some weird obsession that takes over

Is it just me, or is the 4WD crowd full of w*nkers and show-offs?

We get 'em all the time in my workshop, and they are annoying as hell.

Ravin' on about their bloody "series 80's" and all this. :rolleyes:

We've got a Ssanyong Kyron that cost 20 odd k brand new, lots of extras. Been all over the outback, through sand through mud. Been told they're crap of course and you need a shiny new Prado :rolleyes: I could pay a large chunk of capital off a cp + cheapie with the difference in cost. Depends what you want though.

Hi Bob,

Great motor home! They are great. We got an old 16 foot pop top to keep us going. And its ideal for weekend but not long term >1 month. Its just a bit to small for us but does the job! I should do a thread on the caravan reno lol! painted the original wood grain laminate and covered the original vinyl with stick on vinyl floor boards, i think it was kinnon that fit out her office with the same product off Ebay. Its nearly out of the 80's just need the seats and cushions covered!
Photo is before shot!

Attachments

• Screenshot_2014-08-18-21-58-36.png
    Screenshot_2014-08-18-21-58-36.png
    804.4 KB · Views: 65
Last edited:
Back