Any compelling reason NOT to use ING term?

Mrs Fish likes some cash in a hollow log in case I fall off my perch. (She really does worry about me. LOL)

It will be set and forget and ING is generally the best. Everyone agree?

Mrs Fish likes some cash in a hollow log in case I fall off my perch. (She really does worry about me. LOL)

It will be set and forget and ING is generally the best. Everyone agree?

Yep.

We've had thew ING Savings Maximiser (for the kid's savings) for 8 years now.

Sorry BV (which one?) I was talking term deposit, not term insurance. :)

Sorry I misunderstood I'm not into term deposits so I can't help.

I don't know which ING term plan I'm on and I'm overseas atm so I can't check the contract papers

My main TDs at the moment are with ING and RaboDirect (both business rather than personal).

I just choose the best rate for the period I want from amongst the few banks I can easily do TDs with online (ie. those I've already done the 100 point ID thing with and allow quick online setup without any paperwork). Currently that includes NAB, ING, BankWest, and RaboDirect. My wife also does personal ones with CBA, WBC, and St George (she doesn't mind going into branches). While we may not get the very top rate with them, usually at least one of them is close enough that the difference in interest is not that significant (we rarely do TDs for longer than 12 months).

GP

GP - if you dont mind me asking - what proportion of total assets are in TD's? Or what purpose do they serve for you?

Sunfish

Personally I would be wanting my money in an Oz bank or credit union.

When does the government guarantee run out?

Anyway....
I was depositing some SMSF funds and I was tempted to open a new account elsewhere as could get 6.25% for 6 months - the credit union matched this rate.

BTW
We still have funds frozen in mortgage account - we have been able to get a distribution of 10% a few times + interest. The mortgage account has been earning a good interest rate must be close to 7% now.

Cheers
Sheryn

GP - if you dont mind me asking - what proportion of total assets are in TD's? Or what purpose do they serve for you?
Mrs Fish doesn't like/trust puter banks, LOCs etc, an old fashioned country girl you might say. She is also pragmatic and doesn't like my sedentary lifestyle, blood pressure or drinking habits so wants "immediate" access to ample funds when the inevitable happens. I have adequate gold/silver to support us through a prolonged "bank holiday" but that aint "immediate".

Percentage wise it is three fifths of five eights of bugger all. What we want is knowledge that it will be there when needed. It isn't part of my investment strategy so the very highest rate isn't the most important thing.

Mrs Fish sounds quite intelligent, especially with the rates on offer. Not bad in a world of such uncertainty.

One might argue that for the first time in years, people are actually being compensated for having a 'boring term deposit', at least in australia where the banks actually 'want' your money.

You might want to consider the option of investing the funds elsewhere and taking out a life insurance policy.

The income from the investments could potentially pay for the policy and at the same time you get capital growth in the investment.

If something happens to you Mrs Sun still gets her cash and you don't put your money into what's probably one of the worst performing asset classes.

Note that I say this without knowing a thing about your personal circumstances, I'm just trying to give consideration to other alternatives.

Back