Any good investment examples?

So I have pre approval for 550k for an IP, and ready to buy. I have spent the last 3 months every Saturday morning looking at open houses in the area I want to invest in (Carina through to Mt Gravat East in Brisbane). I'm not able to find anything I like because I'm too fussy.

I'm feeling I need to drop my standard and buy something now or I'm going to miss the boat so to speak.

I think what would help me is if people who have recently bought an IP in Brisbane could share a link to the property, and explain why it was a good investment so I can learn what to look for as an investment.

Anyone care to share?

Good investments are rarely " what you like " it is all down to the numbers.
An IP is a BUSINESS (not a house to live in). Be fussy for a PPOR but not an ip.

Run tne numbers and you will find your investment :)

Hi NMT,

Welcome to the good ship SS Forum. Setting 'Sale' to your dream destination.

Where you invest and what you buy all depends upon on what your chosen investment strategy is, your individual risk profile, and your time frame for what it is you are ultimately wanting to achieve from using property as your chosen wealth vehicle in the first instance.

Do you have defined answers those questions?

Hope this helps.

you're not the only one. Im helping a few friends buy at the moment and they fear they will miss out soon enough too. Don't rush it and make the wrong decision. The best part is that youre buying into a growing market so that should give you more confidence and if the numbers stack up, go for it. No deal will ever be perfect. There will always be ifs and buts but after doing that many saturdays you should be able to back yourself.

Do you have to buy at 550k? What if you lowered this to something more manageable. You never know... you might get addicted and want to buy again next year.. saving some serviceability could be a good thing!

Did a driveby past this one yesterday: http://www.realestate.com.au/property-house-qld-mansfield-115549907?rsf=emailalert-propdetails

It took me two years of research before making a purchase so like others here have said, take your time and make your decision pragmatically rather than spontaneously.

Your best way to approach investing in the broader sense is to go "big picture" and then funnel information down until you get to a specific property.

There are three steps to the funneling process:

Step One:

Market - Identify markets are growing right now and will continue to increase in value. Focus on larger, broader housing markets like capital cities and substantial regional hubs.

Area - Ascertain which areas within the market are leading the growth race.

Property - Establish what type of property is the most sought after in the area and then buy the best one you can afford.

If you can't afford the most desirable asset in your selected area change suburb, rinse and repeat.

you're not the only one. Im helping a few friends buy at the moment and they fear they will miss out soon enough too. Don't rush it and make the wrong decision. The best part is that youre buying into a growing market so that should give you more confidence and if the numbers stack up, go for it. No deal will ever be perfect. There will always be ifs and buts but after doing that many saturdays you should be able to back yourself.

Do you have to buy at 550k? What if you lowered this to something more manageable. You never know... you might get addicted and want to buy again next year.. saving some serviceability could be a good thing!

Did a driveby past this one yesterday: http://www.realestate.com.au/property-house-qld-mansfield-115549907?rsf=emailalert-propdetails
That seems reasonable, must be close to land value? Are the other houses in the street being done up or do they all look similar?

half and half. some look exactly the same and some have big new decks and some decent landscaping to match. Location is quite good though. 5mins to gateway, 5mins to westfield and walking distance to bunnings :D

half and half. some look exactly the same and some have big new decks and some decent landscaping to match. Location is quite good though. 5mins to gateway, 5mins to westfield and walking distance to bunnings :D

Yes, it's a really handy spot. Smash repairs, washing machine repairs, car repairs, offices, etc. I was working off Wecker Road last year, was great.

Thanks everyone for your comments, I appreciate you taking the time to help me out.

Market - Identify markets are growing right now and will continue to increase in value. Focus on larger, broader housing markets like capital cities and substantial regional areas.

Area - Ascertain which areas within the market are leading the growth race.

Property - Establish what type of property is the most sought after in the area and then buy the best one you can afford.

If you can't afford the most desirable asset in your selected area change suburb, rinse and repeat.

The market and area we (wife and I) have decided to invest is in Brisbane south east area up to 10 km from CBD which I'm happy with. It's the last bit, property, that I'm struggling with :)

Back