Any legal recourse?

well, not me but a friend, but luckily it was all sorted,

basically, she viewed a renovated house, liked it, bought it,

found a heap of unfinished work,

vendor went overseas, she thought she was stuffed
fortunately, the owner came back and finished it off no questions asked

before people say, oh you should have done a final inspection, most of the stuff she couldnt or a normal person wouldnt do

here is what was not finished

New Oven was not connected
3 powerpoints werent connected,
Toilet pipe was not installed
Vanity wouldnt drain properly
bathtub taps wouldnt turn on
Rangehood lightglobes not working

luckily it was fixed for her, but how is an average joe supposed to check all of these in an inspection, PLUS if there is no power, you dont know what works and doesnt work!

You take as is unless agreed otherwise. You should make sure everything is working before you sign the contract and again before settlement.

I wonder about the B&P that was done on the IP i bought last year. Every section just said - fair condition - apart from 2 details - something about the roof pointing(?) and termites in the garden. Doubt very much they would have picked up all the stuff TMNT mentioned. Wonder if they even did it. Was an 30 year old house though so i wasn't too bothered. Cheers, nat

You take as is unless agreed otherwise. You should make sure everything is working before you sign the contract and again before settlement.

For renovation work are the vendors not liable for 7 years

for example if I did some renos costing $10000 - carpet, paint and kitchen before selling and the paint stuffs up and it needs to be re painted, would the seller not still be liable for 7 years

Like how a builder with their own insurance would be found liable for a renovation or new build if defective work is done.

For renovation work are the vendors not liable for 7 years

for example if I did some renos costing $10000 - carpet, paint and kitchen before selling and the paint stuffs up and it needs to be re painted, would the seller not still be liable for 7 years

Like how a builder with their own insurance would be found liable for a renovation or new build if defective work is done.

I don't know if this is the case or not. perhaps with structural renovations it would be but painting I can't see how.

I don't know if this is the case or not. perhaps with structural renovations it would be but painting I can't see how.

yeah agree, what sort of non professional painter is going to be able to warrant a paint job,

as far as common sense goes, im not 100% sure legally, but in my experience, unless its sold as brand new off the plan, its buyer beware for everything

Putting a new door in is considered structural, im not sure how the average joe is expected to warrant the wall.

however, the law isnt very common sense.....so who knows

In WA the vendor provides a warranty on all electrical and plumbing in the standard O&A.

During the inspection for our PPOR the workshop was full of stuff so didn't worry about going in to see if the tap above the sink worked. Moved in and guess what it didn't.

Vendor didn't want to come back and fix but after explaining the warranty in the contract to him and a bit of pressure he did (I may of mentioned I worked for a law firm). He knew exactly what the problem was and had it fixed in a couple of hours, anyone else would of spent ages ripping up paving trying to find the problem.

In WA the vendor provides a warranty on all electrical and plumbing in the standard O&A.

During the inspection for our PPOR the workshop was full of stuff so didn't worry about going in to see if the tap above the sink worked. Moved in and guess what it didn't.

Vendor didn't want to come back and fix but after explaining the warranty in the contract to him and a bit of pressure he did (I may of mentioned I worked for a law firm). He knew exactly what the problem was and had it fixed in a couple of hours, anyone else would of spent ages ripping up paving trying to find the problem.

So if you buy a house that's in knock down state, the vendor has to provide warranty on the electrics and plumbing if the house is 100 yrs old'?!?!,!,!,?

So if you buy a house that's in knock down state, the vendor has to provide warranty on the electrics and plumbing if the house is 100 yrs old'?!?!,!,!,?

Hrmm....I can't see that clause in the Joint Form of General Conditions, maybe it was in the O&A. Maybe my O&A wasn't standard

New Oven was not connected
3 powerpoints werent connected,
Toilet pipe was not installed
Vanity wouldnt drain properly
bathtub taps wouldnt turn on
Rangehood lightglobes not working

I gunna come right out and say that every one of these things is something that could have been discovered in an open house.

Buyer beware (or whatever the latin for this is).

My husband carries out Resicert Building Inspections and all these things would have been picked up in their checklist. Funnily enough we had to have someone of the purchasers choosing do the inspection on our house and he didnt actually check anything, just asked me if things were working,

Back