Any mum & dad investors?

thanks Skeetaboat just got hubby to check the contract the REA hasnt ticked that box, looks like we are just up for advertising & land title searchers fee.

Should have signed up here a few months ago!

Tis best to sign up with an agent that includes EVERYTHING in the commission so there are no hidden fees to pay if you decide to terminate the contract after the exclusive period is over. The catch, of course, is that the ones who charge advertising and whatnot separately do on the surface seem cheaper, and happy little optimists like yourself assume the house will sell fast.

I had my house for sale through an agent for about 6 or 7 months, a few offers at $85k, no sale. Now I have it for sale privately for $75k. A few extremely interested parties, no sale, but much lower costs too. Like you I'd love to sell the house to pay off debt and get ahead (at $75k I'm not up for any CGT) but it probably won't sell any time soon, the rental yeild on the place is very very high, and with a bit more saving or some good valuations I can make the 40% deposit on our next house anyway, which takes the urgency out of the deal.

Thanks Ziggy. (have posted a new post for that)

Hubby went and asked REA to take the house off the market this morning & well it hasn't gone quite as planned. He did have an offer of $370,000 on the table he was a bit 'stressed' (as we can understand he has been working on selling our house for 12 weeks now) He is trying to talk us into still selling if he can push the offer up another $10,000. But for us that would still be $15,000 less than the contracted price we started at.

He even asked hubby could we consider slipping him a $2000 spotters fee for all of his time & effort!!! Advertising costs etc.

I'd be telling the REA that he originally listed the price as $395k. Raising the offer a mere $10k means that you are still out of pocket $15k, so have decided that since the house isn't selling at the price you needed, and he said it would, that you have now changed your mind.

..... and don't be sucked into paying a "spotter's fee" because your house may well have taken twelve weeks of his time, but it is balanced by the house he sells after only one open house.

Family of 5 here with 1 income.

3 kids under 4. 1 main income and I work casually weekends only 4-5 hours as we dont have to worry about daycare.

Will maybe go fulltime in about 3 years

Its not easy going for loans with 3 kids. At the start when they calculate serviceability they throw money at you until they ask how many kids. Its amazing add 1, then 2, then 3. Suddenly they aren't throwing money any more.

Anyway we did it/doing it. Its not easy. But, we don't have a "nice" car and have to be very thrifty. Our grocery budget for the fortnight is $200 with 3 lots of nappies. But we still can do it. My kids dont miss out on anything..we sacrifice elsewhere ..homebrand products ect ect

Prioritize whats important? The newest car, the best clothes/furniture or financial freedom??

Hold onto your house with two hands. In 5 years time I think you will regret it, if you sell??

Last edited:
He even asked hubby could we consider slipping him a $2000 spotters fee for all of his time & effort!!! Advertising costs etc.

You should tell him, if he can sell the house at 380K, that you'll pay him his 2K spotter's fee when he pays you the difference between the final sale price and what he told you he could sell it for. Seems fair!

What a joke. Well, as the old saying goes 'You don't ask, you don't get.' I wonder how many people fall for it.

You put photos of it on the internet or write a blog about it and put ads on there. Too easy.

Bit harder if you expect the cat to do the blogging too.

UPDATE:

Reading back on this thread it seems like so long ago.

Well, we did end up selling the house, the agent ended up halving his fee and apologized for being unprofessional. The couple who bought the house are middle aged investors who just want to sit on this place until retirement & we are now renting from them at much lower costs. They are lovely people, very down to earth and they have already installed insulation in the roof for us :) Something we wouldn't have been able to do for a couple of years.

We did buy a car (only a $10,000) and have already gone away on 1 small family holiday with the kids.

I did take onboard alot of what was said here and have set up a good budget & we are becoming better savers everyday we have even sold of items around the house that we no longer need or use to fund other things we want.

AND we are just about to settle on our first investment property on Friday :)

Its been a learning curve but we are very excited. And we are now set up in a very good position to get very serious about investing.

Back