Any one ever purchased a haunted house?

Currently doing renovations to a recently purchased ip that was built lates 1940s. I always feel as if someone is watching me. It's a pleasant feeling and nothing like the movies where things get tossed around the room. Just something or someone admiring the work. Lady next door reckons the old man that lived in it built the house himself and his wife recently died at 93 hence the sale.

Anybody with a similar story?

At a previous address - an old lady down the road (lived in #13) felt her deceased husband was constantly haunting her in the house ... he was a bugger in life, and apparently continued it after death.

She ended up falling in the bathroom, hitting her head on the tub and dying before she was found.

No way was I going to buy that house ... :eek:

At a previous address - an old lady down the road (lived in #13) felt her deceased husband was constantly haunting her in the house ... he was a bugger in life, and apparently continued it after death.

She ended up falling in the bathroom, hitting her head on the tub and dying before she was found.

No way was I going to buy that house ... :eek:

That's bad! I wouldn't say it is haunting me, more so lurking around watching his / her beloved house get a make over after being untouched for 60 years.

It's a shame it won't pick up a brush and help me paint the walls! :D

I know one local house that is haunted. Each buyer lasts about a year, except the one that did a big reno on it. They tolerated the issue for several years but have since sold. I have a friend who lives a few doors away and who knows the story well of the lady who lived there (died there too?) and she has been in the house but now refuses to go in. She said there is one very cold room, and one room where the floor "moves". The "for sale" sign just keeps going up...

Perhaps it depends on the person, whether they "feel" the atmosphere or not...

The same lady feels there is "something" in one of her rooms. This room was worked on by someone who suicided just weeks after doing the work. My friend doesn't feel threatened but does feel his presence. Curtains move in the room with no windows open. Her grown children (when they lived there) refused to use that room.

They once had a big burly bloke housesit for them. He lasted one night and took their pets home to his place rather than stay another night.

I've been in that room in the daytime, and felt nothing untoward, but no way would I housesit and be alone in the home (or the room).

My kids ridicule the whole story, but I know this friend. She is very normal.

My father passed away in one of my IP. My ex GF (unaware of this) was once sleeping alone in the very room my father passed away in. She rang me in a terrified state and said whilst asleep she could feel someone touching her face. When she tried to turn her head to see who it was, a hand was stopping her .
She then woke up from a half sleep

I always had an eerie feeling in that IP.

Datto, your story reminded me of a dream I once had, at least I think it was just a dream. Our first house was built in 1932 by a woman who lived there with her elderly mother. We'd been there several months when our neighbour told me that she had checked every morning that the daughter (now quite elderly) had passed away in the main bedroom. It bothered me a little, but most houses of such an age would have had an owner possibly grow old and pass away at home and the neighbour told me it was all very peaceful and not unexpected.

I don't know how long after she told me that one night I was asleep in that bedroom and my hubby was probably up late watching TV. I was in bed alone. I woke up, turned my head to the hall and bathroom and tried to get out of bed. There was nothing there, but I could not sit up in bed. I tried to sit up but it felt like an arm was lying on my chest and I just couldn't sit up. It was very strange, and I believed at the time, and still do, that it was a dream or semi-awake state I was in. But it felt real at the time. I didn't feel threatened but just a bit panicky that I was trying to sit up, but couldn't. After a couple of tries, I did sit up and was able to get up and take a look around. Nothing.

I never had that feeling again, and still think I was just half asleep, and I think perhaps it might have been soon after getting that news about the previous owner that may have triggered a dream, but it was a bit freaky.

wylie, that sounds like sleep paralysis.

The first time i experienced it was also my worst episode - very, very scary.

I've had a few more episodes since but nowhere near as bad as that first one.

Last time it happened I thought I was awake and someone was under the bed (I could hear them) but i was paralyzed. Being paralyzed was the giveaway so kept calm until I could move.

Couldn't help myself though and had to look under the bed when i awoke properly.

It always happens when I'm lacking sleep or very tired, and it happens early in the sleep or at the end of it.

Son #1 has also experienced it a couple of times.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sleep_paralysis

Last edited:
When we started renoing our B&B property I had a very strong "experience" of a presence in the house...

It is a 1926 Californian Bungalow style house - originally a farm house, and we bought it from the Grandson of the original owner/builder.

The Grandson had inherited it.

So anyway, while I was painting one night - my wife was at work on a night shift - I felt like someone was standing behind me, observing and assessing my work...I felt it was the Grandfather, and I had a strong feeling he was very concerned we were defiling the house..

I got the same feeling that he was watching me again a few months later.

But this time, we were close to finishing the interior work, and the feeling was a lot "lighter"...sorta like he was pleased.

Never had anything like it before or since.

Fence, you're welcome to come and see for yourself if you're brave enough. I wonder if you are selling a "haunted" you need to disclose this information to interested buyers?

Almost forgot - about 20 years ago my sister and her then-husband bought a deceased estate house where the old man had died insitu.

Nothing horrible happened but they did feel there was someone else in the house with them ... but it wasn't until their toddler kids started asking about who was walking down the hallway in the middle of the night, and opening their doors, that they decided to get the house blessed ... nothing happened after that.

i am loving this ghost stories.

friend of mine, bought an deceased estate, where actual old owner died on lounge room and found after few days by neighbor.

since then he renovated the place, and rented it out.. i don't think he has any issues with tenants.

so all good for him, so far!

there is a theory out there, that cats and dogs can see ghost or feel their presence.

Why would a blessed house make the presence move on? You'd be better off playing Billy Ray cirus acky breaky heart all day long! It would drive them mad!

Sorry but no such thing exists.

You are all dreaming.

That is what the big boofy, football playing tradie thought when he housesat for our friends... until he spent the night there alone :D.

(He didn't know anything about the "ghost" either when this housesit was arranged. They had said nothing.)

I was 7 when we moved into an old highset Qlder house. For some years I hated getting up to go to the toilet during the night because I felt I was being watched.

A few years later my brother was home alone one day and swore there were footsteps in the hallway but when he got up there was no-one there. He was freaked right out.

When I was in my late teens/early 20's there were 2 occasions where I heard footsteps in the hallway when the house was locked, no-one home and I was outside (once standing under the hallway, once at the front door). Both occasions I opened up, went in and checked - no-one there.

I mentioned this to my mother later and she said she heard footsteps in the hallway often. She said they were echoes from the men working inside the old warehouse next door. This would require the footsteps to penetrate a set of thick old timber doors, cross 2 driveways, travel up through one window and one door and somehow bounce down to sound like they were coming off the floor.

I know one local house that is haunted. Each buyer lasts about a year, except the one that did a big reno on it. They tolerated the issue for several years but have since sold.

I know a place like that too. It is put down to bad design (too disjointed, too many stairs, pokey rooms, poor lighting).

Each reno and sale improves some aspect.

The last sale wad over $2m.

I know a place like that too. It is put down to bad design (too disjointed, too many stairs, pokey rooms, poor lighting).

Each reno and sale improves some aspect.

The last sale wad over $2m.

We have two houses in our street that also used to sell regularly due to badly designed renovations, losing the flow of the original houses. But there has never been any story about them being haunted. They were simply badly designed by amateur renovators :D. Both have now been extensively renovated to fix the earlier badly done renovations.

But this "haunted" house that my friend knows very well has none of those issues, and most buyers don't last long enough to do a reno :D.

One day if I see it up for sale (and that will probably not take too long going on the previous history of regular sales), I'll go in and see if I "feel" anything.

My friend knew the family that stayed a few years and did the reno. They knew there was a presence in the house, and simply lived with it. My friend used to visit the mother but felt so uncomfortable in the house that she stopped going in and would chat in the yard.

This same friend with the presence in her own house is quite unfazed by it, doesn't feel threatened at all, but her kids would not use that one room where strange things would happen (curtains billowing when no windows were open).

Someone reading this would think perhaps she is a bit nutty, but she is quite normal.

Common sense says this is all nonsense, but I'm not so sure I'd want to stay alone there for even one night to test it out.

I don't believe in Jesus, unicorns, ghosts, goblins, Santa Claus, Easter Bunny or other mythical creatures.

I am a firm believer in science. With all the universities and scientist we have around the world if these things exist they would be some proof by now.

I would look for other explanations rather than a ghost.

Back