Any one ever purchased a haunted house?

Derren Brown on paranormal.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K005uMQHp7I

There is also a great episode he did on creating a haunted house. Very interesting the way the mind works and creates things. It's about an hour long. I'll see if I can find it.

My mind has imagined things before in a supposed haunted building (Jenolan Caves House). Yeah, I thought I saw something. But the mind is a powerful thing.

Datto, your story reminded me of a dream I once had, at least I think it was just a dream. Our first house was built in 1932 by a woman who lived there with her elderly mother. We'd been there several months when our neighbour told me that she had checked every morning that the daughter (now quite elderly) had passed away in the main bedroom. It bothered me a little, but most houses of such an age would have had an owner possibly grow old and pass away at home and the neighbour told me it was all very peaceful and not unexpected.

I don't know how long after she told me that one night I was asleep in that bedroom and my hubby was probably up late watching TV. I was in bed alone. I woke up, turned my head to the hall and bathroom and tried to get out of bed. There was nothing there, but I could not sit up in bed. I tried to sit up but it felt like an arm was lying on my chest and I just couldn't sit up. It was very strange, and I believed at the time, and still do, that it was a dream or semi-awake state I was in. But it felt real at the time. I didn't feel threatened but just a bit panicky that I was trying to sit up, but couldn't. After a couple of tries, I did sit up and was able to get up and take a look around. Nothing.

I never had that feeling again, and still think I was just half asleep, and I think perhaps it might have been soon after getting that news about the previous owner that may have triggered a dream, but it was a bit freaky.

Can be explained by science Wylie, no such things as ghosts :eek:

http://serendip.brynmawr.edu/exchange/node/1740
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sleep_paralysis

I wonder how much of it is in our minds where we just get ourselves into a panic. I love going on ghost tours of old jails and have done the Port Arthur ghost tour. I'm sure I psyched myself into being scared when there was actually nothing there.

I don't believe in Jesus, unicorns, ghosts, goblins, Santa Claus, Easter Bunny or other mythical creatures.

I am a firm believer in science. With all the universities and scientist we have around the world if these things exist they would be some proof by now.

I would look for other explanations rather than a ghost.

I'm with you, there's no god,spirits,goblins,fairies etc. Unfortunately science has a bad wrap atm. We have a leader with foot in the dark ages who believes in elves and pixies and has a mantra
"Stop the science!"

I too am a firm believer in science... but I had an experience many years ago that made me realise that not everything can be explained by our current definition of science.

Over 20 years ago my brother and I visited for the very first time (in a European country) my grandma and grandpa. They lived in a house that was over 300 years old.

One day – in broad daylight no less – I heard a banging sound coming from the kitchen. I walked in to see a kitchen utensil resting on the kitchen bench, but it was banging itself seemingly of its own accord against a glass jar. I didn't think it was scary. I just thought it was enormously interesting. I felt privileged to see such a thing.

Had I not seen it with my own eyes I would not have believed it. I thought perhaps grandpa had set up some kind of a electrical or magnetic device under the kitchen bench to play a trick on me. I checked above and below but there was nothing. There wasn't even electricity in the kitchen. Their home had no TV, hot water or even a telephone.

Asking grandpa about it later he just laughed and said, 'It's nothing to worry about, that's just the phantasma' (ghost).

During our 3 week stay there we both heard and experienced strange things at varied times of day and night. Grandma and Grandpa were used to it. For them it was part and parcel of living in that old home – at times annoying, but nothing to be scared of.

Can be explained by science Wylie, no such things as ghosts :eek:

http://serendip.brynmawr.edu/exchange/node/1740
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sleep_paralysis

I wonder how much of it is in our minds where we just get ourselves into a panic. I love going on ghost tours of old jails and have done the Port Arthur ghost tour. I'm sure I psyched myself into being scared when there was actually nothing there.

The night the sleep paralysis happened, I was not in any sort of panic. It was just a weird feeling.

I suppose what annoys me is that people are so adamant there are no ghosts or such. I just believe there are too many unexplained things that happen for everything to be sufficiently explained away as "imagination" or "hysterics".

I prefer to keep an open mind.

I also like to keep an open mind despite being a sceptic.
I have had many experiences that could have been paranormal or possibly extreme coincidence.
One such experience occurred while I was working on an old church.
Whilst walking through the church a blinding light shone down upon the altar despite the fact that it was a dull,overcast day and there was no light to speak of penetrating the windows.
Needless to say I beat a hasty retreat.
After much restless thought I reluctantly decided to approach the priest in search of enlightenment.
He listened intently to me and then raised his hands above his head,wiggled his fingers and made a "wwhhhhhooooooooo" sound!
Not sure what the moral of the story is but after my initial shock,I nearly cried with laughter :)

After much restless thought I reluctantly decided to approach the priest in search of enlightenment.
He listened intently to me and then raised his hands above his head,wiggled his fingers and made a "wwhhhhhooooooooo" sound!
Not sure what the moral of the story is but after my initial shock,I nearly cried with laughter :)

Hilarious! :)

Last edited:
Is that so?

Can you do it?

If so, then you'd be one of those twits then ?

:p

Of course I can, anyone can.
For how long was it considered "mysterious" and strange though? And when the people who did it talked about feeling the water's energy they were poo-pooed because science hadn't proven that what they were doing worked. Now it has, and it is taught in every basic horticulture course.
So does that mean the water had no energy before? Did it only come into existence when science proved it was there?
How often is science still finding animals that they didn't know existed, with all their equipment and modern ways, why hadn't they been found already?:rolleyes:
Look at the ceolocanth, the natives of Africa kept insisting it was still alive but no one would believe them until a scientist actually saw one in 1938. Does that mean it didn't exist until then or maybe, just maybe, the people who said they had seen it really had.
I don't know the answer but I know it won't be found by someone with a closed mind. it will be found by someone asking "what if..."

Of course I can, anyone can.

I beg to differ.

I have a few mates who absolutely deny that it is possible to divine water.

They are university educated professionals at the top of their fields. Go figure eh ?

I have an open mind enough to say that climate change is happening but my mind is closed to the hysterical, scaremongering scientists who claim that is all the fault of mankind. Until of course, ALL scientists agree.

You were the one who started with the "twit" comment. Why so hot under the collar joan?

Relax, let the water flow.;)

Well who doesnt believe in global warming ?

Ghosts are a figment of imagination because there is no proof whatsoever of them.

I am pointing out that other things have been dismissed this way and then later proved to be correct. They didn't come into being because the proof was found, they were there all along. Sometimes science has to catch up.

I am not hot under the collar, but I am also not an alcoholic or demented or prone to hysteria. I don't know what/who I saw or my family saw, and the only "rational" explanation you can offer is that I am drunk and/or nuts:eek:
If you have a different explanation fire away I am all ears,

.....fades away singing "they're coming to take me away haha hehe hoho, to the funny farm where life is beautiful all the time and I'll be happy to see those nice young men in their clean white coats....." :D

I am pointing out that other things have been dismissed this way and then later proved to be correct. They didn't come into being because the proof was found, they were there all along. Sometimes science has to catch up.

Exactly. Science evolves.

What science knows to be true today would have been considered fairy tales just a few decades ago. For example:

- stuff that can pass through solid matter unimpeded (neutrinos)
- stuff that can be at two different places at the same time (quantum particles)
- stuff that's invisible to the eye but can be touched (metamaterials)
- stuff that's invisible but has mass - huge mass! (dark matter)
- stuff that can instantaneously interact from vast distances (quantum entanglement)
- the nature of reality being not what it is but what the mind decides it to be (quantum consciousness)
- etc...

And funny enough, these are the same stuff that makes up ghost stories. :eek:

The paranormal looks pretty normal to me! :D

Well I'd like to see a ghost. Been trying to whenever the "opportunity" arises but still to this day. No ghosts.

Did the Port Arthur ghost tour, great host guy, big tall fella in a long black trenchcoat and haunting voice. It was a lot of fun but sadly no evidence.
And going in with open mind. Trying hard to bring it on.
Wife & I stayed to the back of the group hoping for a touch on the shoulder etc.

I wonder if TAFE can teach ghost receptive skills?

LOL at those lovely young men in white coats...!:D
Good sense of humour joan.;)

Well I'd like to see a ghost. Been trying to whenever the "opportunity" arises but still to this day. No ghosts.

Did the Port Arthur ghost tour, great host guy, big tall fella in a long black trenchcoat and haunting voice. It was a lot of fun but sadly no evidence.
And going in with open mind. Trying hard to bring it on.
Wife & I stayed to the back of the group hoping for a touch on the shoulder etc.

I think it is entirely possible that you will never see a ghost (if they indeed do exist) no matter how many ghost tours you go on because you have a closed mind to the very idea that they could possibly exist.

Whilst I don't believe every ghost experience is due to the person being mad, drunk, highly suggestible, I do believe some people are better conduits.

I don't even know if I believe in ghosts. But I do believe that just because we cannot explain something doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

LOL, so ghosts only pick people with open minds?

Ive heard it all now. ROTFLMAO !

Funny how people are getting a bit uptight with my opinion on this and taking the moral high ground of having an "open mind". Is that some sort of moralistic trophy or something?

My mind is as open as anyones. It's also open to logic and fact.

Now, a ghost story of my own.
I do one day a week maintenance at a guesthouse and room 22 is renowned for being haunted. To the point where some regular guests refuse to be allocated this room.

The other day the manager asked me to check the lock on the door because the key was stuck. So I try to take the key out of the lock and it's stuck.
Jiggle, jiggle jiggle, still stuck. Jiggle some more. Stop, then grab it and it comes out easy.
Put the key back in and stuck again. Repeat above sequence and it comes out easy.
Did this again and it still got stuck and had to follow the same as I did before.

My open mind thought, oooowww beauty, a ghost is struggling with me for the key !
Then reality kicked in and it's just a new key that has not been worn in enough yet.
Totally logical explanation but the manager and regular guests all swear I had an encounter with the ghost and warned me not to go there.

LOL ! Funny.:D

Now wylie, my mind is still open to ghosts and I promise to report back here when I see one ok.

Back