Any Polishing FBs expert here?

Just wondering if any polishing FB experts here

our current job, we could only find a water based one, we wanted one of those really really glossy ones for our cheap IP, we bought it from Masters,

however, after 2 coats, 3 is recommended, it looks really dull, admittedly first coat absorbed a lot, we want that thick shiny clear toffee look?

shop person told us water based was the same price, but looks the same but easier to put on,

so what have I done wrong? does it have to be oil based to get that thick thick glossy shine?

thanks eveyrone

I suspect solvent based will give you more gloss, but I hate timber with a 'thick, glossy shine'. It looks like plastic. Also, every scratch will show. Is this a rental property?

water based finish has a more natural finish vs oil, will be slightly more expensive than oil and will require slightly more maintenance than oil. I would go for water even if its a little more expensive. How many sqm are we talking about?

approx 70sqm,

honestly, its not looking much different to what it was before,

its a rental, but for the same/similar price and teh same amount of time, id rather have a super glossy "wow" look instead of "meh" non glossy look

so is oil based the solution for next time?

no idea what sort of timer,

and yes I agree high maintenace is no good for rentals,

just for reference,

If I got it professionally done, can you say to the person "I want it super super glossy" can they guarnatee that it will turn out like that since they are professional, or did I just not do it right this time around

image2.jpg

Like this look

I used oil for the ultra gloss look - 3 coats in a rental. We used a product from bunnings that was advertised as being commercial strength ie use on sporting floors etc. 18 months on and it still looks the same as the day we did it.

Not the best photo but the only one I could find that shows the glossy-ness of it.

floor.jpg

I used oil for the ultra gloss look - 3 coats in a rental. We used a product from bunnings that was advertised as being commercial strength ie use on sporting floors etc. 18 months on and it still looks the same as the day we did it.

Not the best photo but the only one I could find that shows the glossy-ness of it.

View attachment 11166

If I could get mine to look half like that I'd be happy

If I could get mine to look half like that I'd be happy

You can. It's surprisingly simple to do yourself and a lot cheaper than $1400. I looked on the bunnings site but couldn't find the product we used. It was in a low tin and not one of the mainstream brands.

Bunnings don't sell the polish the pros use. If you want high gloss you need to use polyurethane. Waterbased and oil based will not give you a super high gloss finish. Also $1400 for 70sqm is very cheap you will get what you pay for quality wise.

You can. It's surprisingly simple to do yourself and a lot cheaper than $1400. I looked on the bunnings site but couldn't find the product we used. It was in a low tin and not one of the mainstream brands.

yes DIY is quite cheap, but its quite a pain

$100 for the equipment rental, $100 in pads,$400 in water/oil based

plus 2 days labour say $320
is about $1000 all up for a handyman

or about $2000 for a full profesional

I'm not sure if people are using 'oil' and 'polyurethane' terminology interchangeably. When I was first looking into this some years ago, I thought that the choices were water and polyurethane. To me, an oil base, similar to decking oil, would not be hard wearing enough and wouldn't give the shine compared to water or poly.

Is the floor smooth? Perhaps it could do with another coat. You'd be surprised with the difference an extra coat could make. I'm no expert, but the more coats, the deeper the look of the finish. Practically speaking, most people stop at three, or when the floors are no longer rough.

Last time I paid a guy to sand and polish, it was for 3 coats. After applying 3 coats, the floors looked like rubbish and weren't smooth. He put on an additional coat and it then looked ok.

I did it myself once and it only needed three coats. It does depend in part on how its been applied and the condition of the boards prior.

so would this be oil based, water based or polyurethane

and yes I wrongly assumed polyurethane = oil based,

having a look at the masters website, I think we used this one

http://www.masters.com.au/product/900001446/minwax-water-based-oil-modified-polyurethane-gloss-3-78l

which in hindsihgt is polyurethane but water based, but has come up very dull

it almost looks no different to before polishing

it can be a bit hard to tell just from a photo but that looks like solvent based polyurethane. beware of trying to recoat over old floors as some coatings are not compatable with each other thats why most floor sanders will tell you to resand it back to raw timber instead of risking a recoat going wrong and having to resand it again to fix it.

Back