Any Polishing FBs expert here?

Just wondering if any polishing FB experts here
our current job, we could only find a water based one, we wanted one of those really really glossy ones for our cheap IP, we bought it from Masters,

however, after 2 coats, 3 is recommended, it looks really dull, admittedly first coat absorbed a lot, we want that thick shiny clear toffee look?

shop person told us water based was the same price, but looks the same but easier to put on, so what have I done wrong? does it have to be oil based to get that thick thick glossy shine?

thanks eveyrone

First things first, of every job I've done over the last 7/8 years - only one client has stipulated high gloss. Everyone is after a satin finish as it gives a good look but doesnt highlight everything.

Having said that, the most common issue with duller looking finishes is that the matting agent (the thing that gives the sheen) isn't mixed through the finish enough. It is really important that the finishes are shaken up well and truly, I take about 5 minutes on each bottle I use.

It can be fixed easily enough by making sure the last coat is well mixed as the sheen comes from the final coat.

And yes water based is a little harder to put on, but I prefer not to breathe in the toxins associated with the solvent based finishes.

Just realised this was posted 9 days ago - sorry a bit late :)

So we are doing our with a professional guy (I picked him to quote cause I liked his name, Sand By Me ha ha) - he was a little more expensive than another guy (The Sandman. Will the puns never end) but we are doing 2 pack polyurethane for a super high gloss thick finish. I like the almost fake look. Our boards are cypress.

This is a link to some photos of the new floorboards - you have to go through the album. Sorry! I just walked on them in the lounge for the first time.

I'm paying about 30 m/2 I think including removal of all the original stuff and dump fees - and in some rooms that has turned out to be three levels or more of things.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10153327207715179.1073741828.754860178&type=1&l=7dc4520ab3

970359_10153327212765179_1808772943_n.jpg

thats teh EXACT loook I want for mine,

we used a water based polyurethane , and it looks soo dull,

ill see if I can get a photo up

we did two coats,

would a third coat make it look like yours???

im happy to admit that floorbaords and me were never meant to be

I don't know what the secret is - that was only one coat so maybe it was the product? The guy spent sooo long doing each room and lots of sanding and then had polishers for the end product too. And each coat took about a day before then next coat. It was a super strong chemical high gloss poly and near killed all of us with the smell so maybe the fact it's nothing natural in the product lol? He said the end result ends up more than twice as thick as the natural oil based stuff I think.

tonka did my floors he knowledge is excellent and highly recommend him anyday of the week

I have dark floors and they came up amazing!

thanks for the plug mate! your floors did come up very nice :D

hey tonka,

can I ask you, so what what wrong in my job, obviously if we use the right stuff we will get the same look as the above just maybe not as skillful as someone like you, but ours are coming out dull, the only thing I can think of is either not enough coats (2 at the moment) and/or we used a water based polyurethane finish

hey tonka,

can I ask you, so what what wrong in my job, obviously if we use the right stuff we will get the same look as the above just maybe not as skillful as someone like you, but ours are coming out dull, the only thing I can think of is either not enough coats (2 at the moment) and/or we used a water based polyurethane finish

3 coats is standard. 2 coats usually wont look glossy enough with most products. it may just be that the brand of polish your using just isnt that glossy, have you seen samples/floors done with that polish that were shiny enough for you?

3 coats is standard. 2 coats usually wont look glossy enough with most products. it may just be that the brand of polish your using just isnt that glossy, have you seen samples/floors done with that polish that were shiny enough for you?

ok, I assumed that by the 2nd coat things would start to look very glossy,
I bought it from masters hardware so they didnt have any samples, all I could do is go off the salespersons word

does the fact that it was water based make it less glossy?
I can understand if I used a matt or satin finsh however, the tin said high gloss, so I was execpting a moderate shine

ok, I assumed that by the 2nd coat things would start to look very glossy,
I bought it from masters hardware so they didnt have any samples, all I could do is go off the salespersons word

does the fact that it was water based make it less glossy?
I can understand if I used a matt or satin finsh however, the tin said high gloss, so I was execpting a moderate shine

two coats should give you a good indication of how glossy the floor will be but it could also be how well the floor was sanded. if the floor hasnt been buffed properly and the timber is still quite rough then the polish may soak in futher requiring more coats to bring up the gloss level. I use two brands of water based polyurethane and neither of them are overly shiny compared to solvent based polyurethane. if a customer wants super shiny floors then solvent based is the way to go

I've been told that the water-based stuff doesn't last as long as polycure/polyurethane. Is this correct?

depends on things like brands, 2 pack vs 1 pack etc. a poor quality poly wont last against a good quality waterbase and vice versa. traditionally poly has been the most durable finish available but waterbase technology has come so far in recent times.

as far as IP's go i still recommend poly to my customers as its much better bang for your buck than waterbase

depends on things like brands, 2 pack vs 1 pack etc. a poor quality poly wont last against a good quality waterbase and vice versa. traditionally poly has been the most durable finish available but waterbase technology has come so far in recent times.

as far as IP's go i still recommend poly to my customers as its much better bang for your buck than waterbase

Thanks Tonka!

My understanding is the 2 pack water based products are among the best- is that true?

We're looking at polishing some floors soon (that have never been polished- under carpet) & thats what I was planning on using as we want it habitable ASAP.

Hi All,

Just been quoted 20$ per sqm.

They have suggested water base rather than oil base,what's the pros and cons on either?

Cheers Spades.

And here I was thinking this post was for social media Facebook page-polishers! You know..to make your online presence squeaky clean and appealing...ha!

Ha fokas,more like face palm book.

Anyhow had a 2nd quote @ 35$ per sqm,the guy uses bona product and has 20yrs experience.
So,2 more quotes to go,have to see what the other guys have to say and what they use,time frame etc etc.
So price won't be a factor i think with all things considered.

Cheers Spades.

I had 2 quotes for my IP in Central Coast with total area of 55sqm.
Polycure/polyurethane is $1600.
Another polisher quoted $2300 for water based.
Both 3 coat system.

Back