Any tax courses to do

Hi All,

Just a bit of background information on myself. Finished my law degree this year. Currently practisting as a solicitor in a small law firm since April of this year. Just want to do a Tax course on the side so I can learn more about tax law, particularly in relation to property etc such as CGT, etc.

Can anyone recommend a good tax course (preferably online) that would assist me in learning all of these tax concepts? Or is a masters course at the uni the best way (do not want to go back to uni)? I want to start advising a bit in relation to tax matters and want to learn for my own future career.

Any and all recommendations and/or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks all.

The Tax Institute is very good for lawyers seeking to upgrade to get tax quals. Some elements may get prior recognition.

I did my Masters of Taxation at ATAX. University of NSW. Can be done by correspondence. EXTREMELY practical and course notes are "A" Class. Lecturers include practitioners and leaders within the tax profession and advocacy groups.

I did my Masters of Taxation at ATAX. University of NSW. Can be done by correspondence. EXTREMELY practical and course notes are "A" Class. Lecturers include practitioners and leaders within the tax profession and advocacy groups.

Thank you for your reply.

Is this course at a beginner's level and how long did it take you? Any qualifications you obtained from it?

I am really reluctant to go to university again, but if it is by way of correspondence and does not take too long, I would be interested.

Thanks

Mike - You already had extensive experience and owned a practice and had tax quals. The Masters takes it further and is a very challenging technical qualifiction for advanced application. I would imagine a person seeking to learn about tax law and CGT etc might find it challenging and perhaps a second stage course.

ATAX also offer the subjects to attain basic quals if your degree isnt on par with TPB requirements. eg UK CA's arriving here need to do the Corps Law and Tax modules to get recognition and be accepted to local membership. Or if you did a business degree and skipped the tax subjects and did a marketing major. etc...

I would suggest you do the Taxation Institute course. First one is from the basics and assumes no knowledge. The 2nd one is pretty difficult. There is a 3rd one too if you can pass the 2nd.

If you do the first 2 you get 1 subject exemption for the ATAX masters - think it has been renamed now = no longer ATAX. This is a course I was going to enrol in, but felt I didn't know enough at this stage. It is pretty full on from what I have seen. expensive too as it would cost $28,000 now to do the masters.

I did CTA 1 foundations with The Tax Institute. Im in a non tax-related profession but wanted to learn more about tax basics and do my own tax properly. I found it was very useful and, I thought, pretty comprehensive. It covered the topic of CGT in some detail as well as basic individual/ business tax, FBT, different setups ie trusts etc, GST etc. I did it totally online/distance although they do have an option to do a seminar. It had a final hand written exam.
They contacted me recently to say they had changed CTA 2 prerequisites so that you didn't need any tax experience. Previously you needed some sort of tax related profession type experience.
Cheers, nat

I did CTA 1 foundations with The Tax Institute. Im in a non tax-related profession but wanted to learn more about tax basics and do my own tax properly. I found it was very useful and, I thought, pretty comprehensive. It covered the topic of CGT in some detail as well as basic individual/ business tax, FBT, different setups ie trusts etc, GST etc. I did it totally online/distance although they do have an option to do a seminar. It had a final hand written exam.
They contacted me recently to say they had changed CTA 2 prerequisites so that you didn't need any tax experience. Previously you needed some sort of tax related profession type experience.
Cheers, nat

Thanks so much. That is great great help! I will definitely check the Tax Institute

I would suggest you do the Taxation Institute course. First one is from the basics and assumes no knowledge. The 2nd one is pretty difficult. There is a 3rd one too if you can pass the 2nd.

If you do the first 2 you get 1 subject exemption for the ATAX masters - think it has been renamed now = no longer ATAX. This is a course I was going to enrol in, but felt I didn't know enough at this stage. It is pretty full on from what I have seen. expensive too as it would cost $28,000 now to do the masters.

Thanks so much for your reply my fellow lawyer :)

You will have to joint the group LLT. Lawyers that Love Tax

Yeh I will join. Would love to learn more :) The CGT and all the taxation implications tie in with conveyancing anyways.

Could you also possibly recommend any further conveyancing and/or transactional practice courses that would assist in broadening my understanding of conveyancing. I ultimately want to become a property lawyer.

Many thanks Terry :)

Yeh I will join. Would love to learn more :) The CGT and all the taxation implications tie in with conveyancing anyways.

Could you also possibly recommend any further conveyancing and/or transactional practice courses that would assist in broadening my understanding of conveyancing. I ultimately want to become a property lawyer.

Many thanks Terry :)

The trouble with these courses is that they are not very practical. They don't teach strategies, or not much. I would suggest you spend you CLE time doing the tax law stuff. A good place for this is TVed http://www.tved.net.au/

Back