Any ute lovers? Which 4WD ute?

After much delibereration, and deciding that we really must have a 4WD (we're on a farm) despite the running $$$ and looking at many, we have decided that we will get either a Hilux, Bravo or Rodeo of early to mid nineties vintage. Are there any ute lovers here? what is your opinion? cosmetics are not important to us. Robustness, ability to get up a muddy hill and relative fuel economy are.

thanks heaps

Hi,

I've got to put a vote in here based on my wife's say so. She's a big ute lover and is bugging me to buy her a second hand Hilux twin-cab ute. It'll last forever and is very cost competitive.

Cheers,
Michael.

I love the Hilux dual cab too but partner needs a bigger tray so it looks like a single cab for us.
What year model does your wife like?

Bella,

The newer the better. Apparently new cars lose half their value after 4 years (Steve Navra at SIG???), so she's be looking for a late 90's model I think. The tray is a bit of a drag but its big enough to put our border collie in and for getting a load of mulch from the tip. That's about the extent of our requirements, and you can always get the rear racks so you can load quite a bit on the roof. We built our house from lock-up to completion and my wife sourced most of the building materials from auction. The old Toyota Seca with a trailer just doesn't quite cut it though... :)

Cheers,
Michael.

Bella said:
After much delibereration, and deciding that we really must have a 4WD (we're on a farm) despite the running $$$ and looking at many, we have decided that we will get either a Hilux, Bravo or Rodeo of early to mid nineties vintage. Are there any ute lovers here? what is your opinion? cosmetics are not important to us. Robustness, ability to get up a muddy hill and relative fuel economy are.

thanks heaps

I love Commercial vehicles :)

I second the suggestions for Hilux'es, and you've chosen a good era, mid 90's, not to complicated, not too crappily made.

I've had 2 Hliux utes over the years and they are great little workhorses. Strong, reliable, well built, great value.

For the work you're describing I'd definitely go a Diesel as well, much more suited to farm work and generally much more reliable, and certainly longer lasting. Diesels tend to have better economy as well (not sure how the diesel fuel rebate for primary producers work, but I know there's something there).

Back