Any value in upgrading realestate.com.au advertisement?

One of my properties is going on the market next week. The agent sent me an advertising brochure which includes a Highlight listing on realestate.com.au

Can you see any value in this? I never get an upgrade and don't see the value. Not many houses are currently listed for sale in this suburb and investors (who I expect will be the buyer) wouldn't limit their search to the first few listings on the front page.

The agent believes the listing will get lost amongst all of the unit and townhouse listings and within two weeks will be difficult to find.

Marketing spin or useful advice?

Being at the top of search results will get more views, which gives a higher percentage of getting more enquiries, which leads to more inspections and therefore offers.

What's the property worth and how much is the ad?

If there's only 1 page of results in that suburb then it's probably not worth it. But keep in mind that upgraded listings also benefit when buyers are searching for surrounding areas. For example, look at this search:
http://www.realestate.com.au/buy/between-1500000-any-in-concord,+nsw+2137/list-1?source=refinements

It brings up the results in Concord meeting the criteria, then the upgraded ads in surrounding areas. If someone searches a nearby area and doesn't find what they want, your ad will then come up if it's an upgraded ad.

Also, if someone searches 10 different suburbs at once, or searches for a region, then you may be on page 10 rather than at the top which doesn't help.

Whether it will be worthwhile will really depend on who the target market is and how they will search.

feature listings can be expensive depending on the agents subscription.
Is it currently listed as a standard listing?

Sometimes it's needed, but it only gets up there in that particular suburb and it depends how many properties are currently listed in that suburb.

Ie if the property was in glenelg, it would need to be highlighted, if it was in glenelg east then maybe not as it will not sit on top of the glenelg listings and there is less in glenelg east.

hoping that makes sense to someone at least :)

The internet is to take your property from unaware to awareness and think of it as a sales funnel. The more that goes in at Awareness the more interest it will lead to and down to action. Google ADIA if you want to learn more but summary is;

Attention (Awareness) ? Attract prospect?s attention

Interest ? Raise interest by focusing on benefits of your property

Desire ? Consideration, want your property

Action ? Lead the customer towards taking action and/or purchasing your property

As JonnoM mentioned - Being at the top of search results will get more views, which gives a higher percentage of getting more enquiries, which leads to more inspections and therefore offers.

Is it worth it? That is up to yourself to make the decision but to me personally it is like 95%+ of buyers will look for a property via the internet and being able to stand out may make the difference.

If it got you one additional buyer who submitted an offer is it worth it? I would say yes for sure but no one will know the outcome till you try as each property is different :).

Not a big fan of paying for the top listing - in some suburbs there are several top listings, does it make a real difference, probably not.

Ask the agent whether top spot or paper advert is more useful (probably come up with some BS answer and try to sell you on both).

It may just be the package the agent has with re.com.au.

The package I have means ALL properties I list show as a highlight listing for 30 days. It doesn't cost me any extra.

Do I find it makes a difference? Not in the slightest.

If you're looking for a new place, whether it be for rent or for sale, so you sort the listings? I do, most people do.

As an example, you've been looking for a place for a while but nothing has come up. So you sort newest to oldest, therefore it doesn't really matter.

Not everyone knows how to change the filter, you are assuming that everyone has your knowledge.

From my experience what I know others do not know and I visit businesses on a weekly basis and see how they work and some businesses and people are not tech savvy.

Lil got it. The agent only has that package with realestate.com.au. He only told me yesterday when I insisted on price differences. I had no idea that some agencies have a single package agreement with them. Learn something new every day.

BW - you're right, not everyone is tech savvy.

BG - lots of different packages. A lot are moving to this sort of package though (or at least those I've spoken to) as it gives them a "selling point" and the subscription costs are much lower, therefore usually more cost effective.

A PM told me today that I should pay $450 in advertising to ensure my rental gets on and stays on the first 2 pages of Domain/RE.com. However, when first advertised, wouldn't it stay on the first couple of pages for a few days anyway? Then if you wanted to move it back up later can't you just go into the ad and change something like text to put it back up again?

depends on what the others people have paid.

Both Realestate.com and domain have the same thing but differenet names.

For Domain it goes

1. Top Spot (Very first slot) - Usually only one agency has this as they have to pay domain a monthly fee/subscription to have this slot and it will rotate only their selection of properties. You cannot buy it for your property but will be included in the advertising fee to list your property on the website.

2. Premium Plus - Comes after Top Spot and there is no limit to how many people can buy premium plus, can also be apart of the subscription the REA has with the supplier. http://ffx.adcentre.com.au/trademarketing/domain/PDF_links_2014/marketing_packages/Premium_Plus.pdf

3. Priority Placement (Elite and Standard) - Comes after all the premium plus listings and no limit to how many listings can be a priority placement (similar to highlight on realestate.com) - http://ffx.adcentre.com.au/trademar...014/marketing_packages/Priority_Placement.pdf

4. Subscriptions (Elite and Standard) - The last ones to appear, most basic and the cheapest option - http://ffx.adcentre.com.au/trademarketing/domain/PDF_links_2014/marketing_packages/Subscriptions.pdf

A PM told me today that I should pay $450 in advertising to ensure my rental gets on and stays on the first 2 pages of Domain/RE.com. However, when first advertised, wouldn't it stay on the first couple of pages for a few days anyway? Then if you wanted to move it back up later can't you just go into the ad and change something like text to put it back up again?

Amending the ad won't put it back up the top.

Even if you take it off and put it back online generally their systems will pick up on it and put it back to where it should be.

I highlight all of my listing online. If you work on just a normal listing you start of page 3 of the websites. Especially in areas with a lot of clutter it is worth the extra money.

At the end of the day if you spend for example $100,000 in renovations to make sure you get a premium price for your property, why not spend the extra $300 and make sure that it is represented online in the best possible manner.

I highlight all of my listing online. If you work on just a normal listing you start of page 3 of the websites. Especially in areas with a lot of clutter it is worth the extra money.

At the end of the day if you spend for example $100,000 in renovations to make sure you get a premium price for your property, why not spend the extra $300 and make sure that it is represented online in the best possible manner.

If this is the same Ryan that went to JPC and has brother Wayne that was in my year (2003) it is a small world...

Featured listings on Realestate.com.au can certainly get you some additional exposure and your add could have more attention. But it depends who's attention you are looking to have.
In most cases, if you are trying to reach a serious buyer, dont worry, he/she will be doing extensive search for all the available listings and will eventually find your standard listing also. So in my honest opinion, an upgrade might not be really needed unless you have been waiting for some serious candidates for long..

Cheers
Josh

Featured listings on Realestate.com.au can certainly get you some additional exposure and your add could have more attention. But it depends who's attention you are looking to have.
In most cases, if you are trying to reach a serious buyer, dont worry, he/she will be doing extensive search for all the available listings and will eventually find your standard listing also. So in my honest opinion, an upgrade might not be really needed unless you have been waiting for some serious candidates for long..

Cheers
Josh

You don't want the buyers who have been scouring the net for months on end. They are typically the non emotional buyers who have continuously missed properties because they see value under the market or below a premium to the market price.

Back