Anybody with TPG for mobile phone?

I have an iPhone 4 in good nick and don't need a newer model, but Optus has offered me a phone upgrade with a new plan for two years (which I have no intention of taking up).

I'm thinking of changing from Optus $50 plan (which includes $500 in calls and some internet - 1GB? I cannot see what it is on my account page - why do they make it so hard to find the information I am looking for???)

I'm sure come March I will "own" my phone that I've been paying $10 a month for for two years and can change to another carrier (but will check that out).

Son's friend is with TPG and is paying $17.99 a month for what seems to be similar quantity as I'm getting with Optus for $50 but even if I need to go up to the TPG $34.99 plan I get 3GB date and $1000 in calls, better than my Optus plan (depending on how much each call is charged at, of course).

Does anybody have any experience with TPG. This young chap is happy with it but I don't know anybody else using TPG.

Seems great value. (I will check Whirlpool to see what I can find out, but thought someone on SS may have thoughts on coverage and service through TPG?)

My personal phone is. Coverage not as good as my Telstra work phone but then again its Optus :)

TPG use the Optus network so no real difference in coverage vs Optus directly, they even use the Optus voicemail system.

I do find some phone calls scratchy/people say it sounds fuzzy, but maybe just the handsdet.

Tpg

I'm on the TPG 17.99 plan, had issue with accessing internet at the start.. took a few calls / weeks to sort it out.

But after that was resolved ive been pretty happy with it. Similar coverage to optus as they use optus.. and internet speeds are not too bad

good value for money

Thanks for that. Do either of you know if TPG send warnings about usage like Optus does? I don't want any more nasty bill shocks without knowing I've used up my limit.

Yes they do, they send sms alerts at 50/75/90% etc. You can also block premium sms on your account so you dont get premium sms scammed

I've just gone Kogan. It's on the Telstra network, unlimited local and mobile, 6gb per month. $30 for one month or $299 for a year.

That suits my usage well- I generally go over the 2gb which Optus give me- and I understand that all the telcos are reducing their 2gb allowances to 1.5, removing free FB and twitter access, and increasing the minimum blocks of data.

I believe there are alerts but they apply just to the Internet usage.

I have two mobiles with TPG and have been happy with the service. I've looked at the invoices a couple of times and been surprised how much some of the calls are charged at - although I still haven't exceeded my monthly cap.

I didn't know about the Kogan deal otherwise I think I would have gone for that. It works about to be about $24/month if you pay for a year and that includes much high data allowance and unlimited calls.

I have the pay as you go plan with TPG, works out cheap as i don't use it much, call rates are cheaper than under a plan.
my wifes phone is on a $15 a month plan (discounted due to having internet also with TPG)
works well for us. Also phones locked to the optus network will work with a TPG sim

Switched to TPG from Optus over fifteen months ago and have had the same reception as before. I'm on the $9.99 a month plan (no contract) as I use the phone mainly in case of emergency and to call family/friends who are also on TPG mobile. Never had a problem with it.

As a TPG alternative we use iinet - again on the Optus network. It helps that we have our home phone and internet with them.

We have our teenager on the $10 plan which is cheaper than having him on prepaid - and yes it sms my phone when he is near his limit :)

Thanks for all the tips. I am definitely not renewing with Optus, don't need a new phone, and will pick one of these. I'll check my past usage and see if 1.5G is enough or if I go for the higher date usage plans.

I'm with Optus and my plan has finished. Can I keep my ph no. if going over to another provider like TPG, etc? Do Optus make it problematic to departing customers who want to take their existing Ph No. with them?

I'm with Optus and my plan has finished. Can I keep my ph no. if going over to another provider like TPG, etc? Do Optus make it problematic to departing customers who want to take their existing Ph No. with them?

Yes, mobile numbers are portable through all providers. You will need to give the new provider your Optus account number to process the port, takes 15-60 mins to complete.

My number ported ok. It didn't initially transfer, because the handset was tied to Optus- but by calling Optus with the phone IMEI code they released the phone. It's possible the handset was not tied, so you would not need to call Optus.

I'm with TPG for home phone and internet. We had similar problems porting our number over from Telstra. Took about 3 weeks all up till phone and internet working. TPG were very hard to get onto and talk to. Call centre in the Philippines - talking to different people on different days and times was frustrating.

Happy with TPG though as the bill is now less than half what we were paying before per month. No problems since, good connection, fast, no limit on data download.

A current affair or today tonight recently compared best deals from all networks for various needs. Worth seeing.

ROFL.... Yeah right...:rolleyes: ... ACA is nothing more than self interested trash TV. Their comparison is absolute rubbish & a waste of time... Much like everything else they do.

Back