Anyone been to Dubai recently?

Hi all
We are stopping over in Dubai on our way to Morocco.
Does anyone recommend a hotel in Dubai that is reasonably priced and close to shopping/attractions, for my wife? There appear to be so many choices. I would appreciate any recommendations.
Thanks
Simon

I can't help with a Dubai hotel recommendation, but try this website, which has reviews based on feedback from public contributors: http://www.tripadvisor.com/

I just had to post and say that I'm green :D with envy. I went to Morocco 8 years ago and it was the holiday of a lifetime. Wander the old city of Fes, and don't miss out on the small town of Meknes - not well known but so atmospheric.

If you don't know any yet, learn a few phrases of Arabic. Greetings, please/thank you, etc. It's not that hard and will be rewarded many times over in the reaction of the Moroccans. Moroccans expect that if Westerners have any common language with them, it will be French, and are generally delighted when Westerners make the effort to speak a little Arabic.

Dubai's very near the top of my list for the next trip, so to me, you're heading off on what I'd consider a perfect vacation. Enjoy! And share when you get back, please. ;)

Thanks, OO. I think we must have some psychic connection - I actually meant to link to Virtual Tourist, but accidentally linked to tripadvisor (which is also good). :D

Hey Oz is virtualtourist only new? Just haven't seen it around before....my cousin lived and worked in Dubai for many years, (telecommunications) he loved it. He actually was a volunteer radio dj for a station they set up over there, used to send me the broadcasts he would do.

Virtual Tourist started in 1999, and I've been a member about 5 or 6 years I think. It's a great site; highly recommended for researching a trip to any destination.

If you do the bus then make sure that you start early as the day can disappear pretty fast. It's a very good way of getting around as there is not much public transport.

Also the amount of gold for sale will blow your mind. ;)

Back