Anyone bought a mobile phone lately?

My poor old Nokia is dying on me after three years, and a new battery has not helped bring it back to life, so its time for a new phone. (Its been handy for keeping calls short though, it just cuts out after 20 seconds!)

I bought the phone outright, and been using a virgin prepaid SIM card. I want to keep the number. The choice of phones and plans is overwhelming!

I currently spend about $15 a month, mostly for incoming calls, and outgoing SMSes.

Anybody signed up for good deals lately? I dont really need a phone with camera etc. I want to keep the cost down as I will probably buy outright again.

Ta

Cam

Phones

Vodaphone has the Sharp Gx115? for $349 outright w/ no sim locks - you can get a cheaper phone (they start at ~$100) but you will find they lack features and are sim locked.

The Sharp has camera/video/colour screen all the gadgety features - but more importantly it sync's via bluetooth w/ outlook which is great as a diary manager (I even started using outlook)

Essentially you need to decide whether you want to spend a few more $$$ upfront and get cheaper bills or a few less $$ upfront and more expensive bills.

Contracts etc.

www.isim.com.au seems to be the cheapest for someone w/ your usage level

Cheers,

XBenX

XBenX said:
Vodaphone has the Sharp Gx115? for $349 outright w/ no sim locks - you can get a cheaper phone (they start at ~$100) but you will find they lack features and are sim locked.
My phone recently died- I had 6 months of the contract to go, but was out of warranty, so I had to buy another without contracts.

I bought one through OptusNet, which was apparently locked to Optusnet, but not to the prepaid Sim card which was provided. It cost me $125, with colour & polyphonic. A basic one would have been $90.

I had to try a number of shops to find this- many did not have anything less than a vast amount- and even the other OPtusNet shop in the same shopping mall told me that the same phone at the same price was locked to the Sim card which came with the phone.

Thanks guys, I think there is an Optus shop at the local shopping mall. Rethinking the need for a mobile though, as the alternator on the ute has just blown! $500 later....

It never rains...

I just updated my mobile with Orange.
It does not have a camera - but is still a very good phone (samsung n361)...
go on www.orange.net.au to look.
Here's the advantage - $5 per month with $5 worth of calls (18c per 30 sec) over 24 months. The phone itself costs $4 x 24 (i.e $96) - however I traded in my old Nokia 3210 to them and got $100 credit - so effectively you are $4 in front.
If you want the camera phone, it is the Nokia 6225 - and its $14 per month over 24 months. Not too bad I think. :)

Damn! Sounded like a good deal, but the small print says Orange network areas in Sydney, Melbourne, Newcastle, Wollongong, Gosford, Werribee and Geelong - otherwise you are on Telstra CDMA.

CDMA linking to Laptop

Any thoughts on CDMAs?

I go bush and need one to link to a laptop for a short period each day.

I know that CDMA coverage is limited.

The Telstra cdma bit is the same cost (i.e 18c per 30 sec) on that contract.
Only one bad thing I have noticed - the wap function will not work when it is "roaming" on the Telstra network.

4GH1RH said:
My poor old Nokia is dying on me after three years, and a new battery has not helped bring it back to life, so its time for a new phone. (Its been handy for keeping calls short though, it just cuts out after 20 seconds!)

I bought the phone outright, and been using a virgin prepaid SIM card. I want to keep the number. The choice of phones and plans is overwhelming!

I currently spend about $15 a month, mostly for incoming calls, and outgoing SMSes.

Anybody signed up for good deals lately? I dont really need a phone with camera etc. I want to keep the cost down as I will probably buy outright again.

Ta

Cam
4GH1RH
You say that you would like to keep your number and pre paid card, So you will not need a plan as you will be using pre paid.

I like NOKIA as they have the easiest menu to navigate etc. (my opinion)

The 3315 is a good basic model and you may pick up one on pre paid for about $79. or out right approx $170

or check out Ebay, I have done some deals there, they have thousands....

Cheers,

Back