Anyone buy an IPAD?? thoughts and impressions..

Reeco, if you have a need that the iPad fills, then you've bought the right product. :cool: Great, and I hope it does what you expect.

What annoys me is
Them: "I'm going to buy an iPad"
Me: "Why?"
Them: "Coz tablets are cool. You can sit in bed and read the paper on it"
Me: "I can sit in bed and read the paper on paper"
Them: "Yeah, but, um, it's touchscreen"

It's when the product comes before the need in the purchasing decision that gets up my goat!

Last edited:
Reeco, if you have a need that the iPad fills, then you've bought the right product. :cool: Great, and I hope it does what you expect.

What annoys me is
Them: "I'm going to buy an iPad"
Me: "Why?"
Them: "Coz tablets are cool. You can sit in bed and read the paper on it"
Me: "I can sit in bed and read the paper on paper"
Them: "Yeah, but, um, it's touchscreen"

It's when the product comes before the need in the purchasing decision that gets up my goat!

You've had many of these conversations even though it's been ou for 1day? Wow you must know Alot of people who like apple to have that conversation so many times that you would rail against something like that??

I'm with you on that one though. But for me that was all in my head. I simply made that up to justify position that people who buy apple products are up themselves. Took me a while to figure out that It was just making that up and that I was me who was up myself. One thing I've always noticed. It's people who have need had the experience(for anything) that hate/don't like/dismiss it. People are funny aren't They :)

Last edited:
picture.php

You've had many of these conversations even though it's been ou for 1day? Wow you must know Alot of people who like apple to have that conversation so many times that you would rail against something like that??

I'm with you on that one though. But for me that was all in my head. I simply made that up to justify position that people who buy apple products are up themselves. Took me a while to figure out that I was just making that up and that I was me who was up myself. One thing I've always noticed. It's people who have need had the experience(for anything) that hate/don't like/dismiss it. People are funny aren't They :)

Actually I've had many conversations, they've been mainly with the same person! Substitute iPad with iPhone, G5, iMac, etc. :eek: Guess I've been tainted.

They do make some great products - but there are competitors that can sometimes do a better job of fitting the requirements at a better price. If people (my mate!) would admit to themselves that they simply want the latest Apple gadget, rather than try and justify what they're going to do with it, I'd probably 'cope' a bit better.
</rant>

Anyone see the article in today's herald-sun? (I can't find it online)

People lining up at the Apple store to buy one, when Myer had them available just around the corner! :confused:

And the quote from the 16yo. Spent $1050 on it!! :eek: And "I'll use it at home, at school if the teachers allow me, and on flights." How many flights would a 16yo schoolkid be taking to justify a $1000 toy? And he doesn't know if he'll be able to use it at school. (Interesting to note, he says he already has a computer, a laptop and an iPhone.)

He also said "I bought one of the cases and you can set it up like a stand." Doesn't the defeat the purpose of a tablet?

And the girl quoted "I want to use this as a smaller and much lighter version of my laptop ... may leave our laptops at home"

As someone pointed out, this type of device (I don't want to appear to be bashing THIS product) is much more suited for consuming content, not creating it.

Anyway, I think I'm over the hype... I need to get out of the house and settle down! :eek:

Aren't they (the IPADs) a bit bid to be carrying around?

And...you still make a phone call on them.

Nah, not for me. Must be a generational thing.

Regards
Marty

And the quote from the 16yo. Spent $1050 on it!! :eek: And "I'll use it at home, at school if the teachers allow me, and on flights." How many flights would a 16yo schoolkid be taking to justify a $1000 toy? And he doesn't know if he'll be able to use it at school. (Interesting to note, he says he already has a computer, a laptop and an iPhone.)

This same kid will be in the papers in a few years time saying he can't afford to buy his first home and how tough he has it these days. :rolleyes:

Apple were a big one for the "streams of gold"- I was looking at a laptop the other day- $419 for 3 years of "Applecare"- telephone assistance (prob from Mumbai) .

Ipad seems to involve a pre or postpaid data commitment.

Apple seems intent on making the sale and bleeding you thereafter..............

So true!

The iPad has a very specific feature set, it's a niche product, but unfortunately the public doesn't see it that way and are buying it in hordes, it's ridiculous. If it fits your niche or you just like expensive toys to play with then fine...I mean I did spend $2400 for a set of pipes for my bike just to make it louder...we all have our toys :D

Actually I've had many conversations, they've been mainly with the same person! Substitute iPad with iPhone, G5, iMac, etc. :eek: Guess I've been tainted.
I think we all know one of "those" people :)

As you say, don't try and justify it's features or compare it with superior products, just be happy with your toy lol

I was reading the other day that the market cap of Apple just surpassed that of Microsoft (on US stock exchange), sounds like a bubble ready to burst in my honest opinion (when people wake up about their products)...

Haven't you guys missed the point?

The iPhone and now iPad are all about the thousands of free and inexpensive applications that are being developed and released hourly.

I have only had a small look but was blown away with what was freely available.

I know in the US, sailors like myself, can use their iPhone as a decent chartplotter for a fraction of the cost. There must be lots of similar stories from people with all sorts of interests.

Good point, Simon. And fantastic example of how the device has practical applications.

But what I'm not going to do is buy a $1000 "toy" then find out what I can do with it.

For me it's more that case of: "I have a need, how can I fill that need". The iPad may or may not be the best solution to that need. (I'm belabouring the point now, methinks)

i read about 3-5 books a week on average, and majority of them are not in English so cannot be bought in Australia.

Ok, now that I can appreciate, and same with what Simon said. It's more the fools you see on TV queuing up for it, probably paying for it on credit card and have no idea what they're going to do when they get it other than say "I have an iPad", all because Apple told them they have to have it. :rolleyes: I honestly can't see any use for it for myself personally, but then again I have no idea what applications are available, but I seem to be getting by just fine without an iPhone at the moment. :)

I'll just crawl back into my cave - I still read those weird things called books... ;)

As does my wife, problem is she reads about 5-7 a week which has lead to her local libraries running out of books she's interested in. We buy her paper books, so iPad version won't make much difference and will hopefully give her a huge selection to choose from.

Haven't you guys missed the point?

The iPhone and now iPad are all about the thousands of free and inexpensive applications that are being developed and released hourly.

I have only had a small look but was blown away with what was freely available.

I know in the US, sailors like myself, can use their iPhone as a decent chartplotter for a fraction of the cost. There must be lots of similar stories from people with all sorts of interests.

Totally agree Simon, and can I add that the reason the iPad will be successful is because the developers of apps for this machine are confident their copyright material will be protected, unlike with other computers. They are the real customers of iPad, and they will support it and guarantee its success. No other computer has the same support from content providers. It's only just come out and already thats true. Newspaper publishers already see it as their saviour. The rusted on apple geeks who support it are just a bonus for Apple.

For me it's more that case of: "I have a need, how can I fill that need". The iPad may or may not be the best solution to that need. (I'm belabouring the point now, methinks)

You sound like everyones mother. Including mine... The world is full of both needs and wants. Its how the world moves. We are a capitalist society. We wouldnt be property investors if these fundamentals never existed.

Theres no need to be a hater because you have a different opinion to others. We are sommersoft contributors. We should know better :)

As does my wife, problem is she reads about 5-7 a week which has lead to her local libraries running out of books she's interested in. We buy her paper books, so iPad version won't make much difference and will hopefully give her a huge selection to choose from.

Huge would most certainly be an understatement. Your wife would have access to books from Barnes & Noble, Amazon and Apples iBooks. And while they have there different licencing agreements and sell the same items, Combined there bookshelves hold the largest collection in the world. All at her finger tips and at the touch of a button :) ...creepy that last bit i said sounded like it came from a infomercial :eek:

...anywho it will be a riot :)

You sound like everyones mother. Including mine... The world is full of both needs and wants. Its how the world moves. We are a capitalist society. We wouldnt be property investors if these fundamentals never existed.

Theres no need to be a hater because you have a different opinion to others. We are sommersoft contributors. We should know better :)

I will try to get back in my box! :p There are plenty of people for whom the iPad will be a great efficiency (or entertainment) improver. I don't hate the product, I hate the way the average consumer is sucked in to thinking they can't live without one - without necessarily knowing what the <beep, beep> they are going to do with it!

But that's just our consumerist society in general, as you suggest, which works for us many ways.

Back