Anyone buy an IPAD?? thoughts and impressions..

Id like to buy one and can see it coming in handy for the standard Realestate Investor . Google Maps and Realestate.com.au at your fingers tips whilst on the go is an interesting proposition??

Anyone?

Last edited:
yeah; one day.

Who lined up for hours with the rest of the penguins to get one of the first ones, instead of waiting a week and then walking into the store and buying one in 5 mins?

yeah; one day.

Who lined up for hours with the rest of the penguins to get one of the first ones, instead of waiting a week and then walking into the store and buying one in 5 mins?

No, not even that.

People were lining outside the Apple store in Sydney in the hundreds - where JB-HI - across George St @ The Strand - were also selling them this morning. :eek: :D:D

I'm going to wait for the second release - when it has a webcam, USB ports and 16:9 aspect.

Google Maps and Realestate.com.au at your fingers tips whilst on the go is an interesting proposition?
You could do this with a faster, better featured, more versatile netbook for half the price.

i'm going to wait until the novelty goes away and it costs half the price :rolleyes:
lol goodluck with that! Apple products (from what I've seen) don't really drop in price, they just keep bringing out new models. e.g. a few years on with the iPhone and they aren't half the price they were initially, just newer model with a couple of extra features that should have been in the original.

Apple products are ok as long as you don't mind paying the 30%+ w@nk factor premium for a product that is less feature rich than it's competitors.

Have one on the way next week (I assume). Mainly for my wife who reads hundreds of books, but may come in handy for some quick internet and email for me instead of waiting for the laptop to boot up. Will probably go with the Optus $20 2gb plan. I'll try to remember to post my thoughts in this thread.

You could do this with a faster, better featured, more versatile netbook for half the price.
s.

Thats just sounds nerdy and wierd. Because that ipad has the exact formations of a magazine its a natural action to do. Pulling out a netbook to scroll though google maps or RE.com whilst talking to a prospective buyer/seller sounds extrememly geeky...and weird. Im pretty sure no-one does this. Its the sharing part angle im looking at. Showing graphs/number/pictures/diagrams/websites whilst having a conversation.

I can see myself having a dynamic one on one conversation with a buyer/seller/agent/proffessional... Not so with a netbook...

Thats just sounds nerdy and wierd. Because that ipad has the exact formations of a magazine its a natural action to do. Pulling out a netbook to scroll though google maps or RE.com whilst talking to a prospective buyer/seller sounds extrememly geeky...and weird. Im pretty sure no-one does this. Its the sharing part angle im looking at. Showing graphs/number/pictures/diagrams/websites whilst having a conversation.
Right, nerdy and weird, wouldn't want to go investing without looking cool doing it right :cool: :rolleyes:

Asus EEE T91 (tablet based netbook) vs Base iPad

Asus is/has:
Around $50 cheaper (eBay)
Double the HDD space (32Gb vs iPads 16Gb)
Faster CPU processor (1.3Ghz vs 1Ghz, doesn't always translate to faster mind you)
Has flipover tablet screen, but also has physical k/b
CAN multitask
Comes with MS Office
Built in camera
Built in LAN
Built in card reader

iPad has:
Slightly bigger screen
Longer battery life

End of the day tablet PCs have been around for ages to do what you are proposing. You mention "graphs/number/pictures/diagrams/websites", but the iPad can only run 1 application at a time so that's fine as long as everything you have is on one webpage or you look like an idiot having to close one and then open the next. Of course the Asus would allow you to run more than 1 application at a time and flick between them.

lol goodluck with that! Apple products (from what I've seen) don't really drop in price, they just keep bringing out new models. e.g. a few years on with the iPhone and they aren't half the price they were initially, just newer model with a couple of extra features that should have been in the original.

sure they do
when they become mainstream you see every retailer offering you discounts and throwing in extra

iPod touch 32Gb was $629 when it came out, and about a month ago we bought it for our daughter on special in Target for $415 which included about 100 bucks worth of extras

I must be getting old, I'm over all this latest technology.... iWhat? :)
Looks like a big pretty screen and that's about it, still trying to work out what the benefits of it are and what it does exactly? :confused: As far as I can see, it just looks like a giant iPhone (of which I still don't have either), without the phone...

It's a content consumption device. You watch videos, listen to music, watch streamed TV, play games, read email, chat, access social networks and so on. It's not a great content *creation* device, eg, word processor, graphics designer, etc, so it's supposed to fill a niche in between the phone and the laptop.

I must be getting old, I'm over all this latest technology.... iWhat? :)
Looks like a big pretty screen and that's about it, still trying to work out what the benefits of it are and what it does exactly? :confused: As far as I can see, it just looks like a giant iPhone (of which I still don't have either), without the phone...

If i had a penny for every person who said that. ;) The ipad is an experience thing. No-one will ever understand its benefits until you touch one. Even for a sec. Its sort of like explaining a skydive. Thinking about it means very little. Doing it means everything...

I can atest to the skydive anology. Awsome thing to do. S##t to hear others blab on about it. Hmmm now where have i heard that before:) ipad ipad ipad!!

One of my colleagues is a Mac fanboi, and he SWEARS BLIND that he can't see how he lived his life without his iPad. That is, since purchasing one 2 weeks ago from the US.

I can atest to the skydive anology. Awsome thing to do. S##t to hear others blab on about it. Hmmm now where have i heard that before:) ipad ipad ipad!!

Now the skydive thing I get, that I want to do, but not the iPad. Give me a break, I've only just gotten an iPod a few months ago. Friends telling me I must get a iPhone, but I can't justify it... my phone makes calls, and my computer has internet. What does the iPhone do extra? :) I can appreciate the iPad I guess, now having a little more understanding, for people who use those applications, but I'm happy to stick with my laptop.

Is pretty sad when the 90 year old guy in my office is more up to date with technology than I am! :eek:

it's probably a more convenient thing than a laptop if you just want to read

i personally read a lot of electronic books and love to read in bed or on the couch, but laptop just doesn't cut it

this would do, but i would wait for it to become cheaper

If i had a penny for every person who said that. ;) The ipad is an experience thing. No-one will ever understand its benefits until you touch one. Even for a sec. Its sort of like explaining a skydive. Thinking about it means very little. Doing it means everything...

lol you sound like one of those nerdy apple lovers hehe

sounds a bit expensive for what you get imho

but then again most apple products are like that...............

Apple sell the "experience" and the "cool".

Tablets have been around for yeeaarrs, but Apple make it sound like the iPad is the first of its kind.

Assess your requirements, evaluate the market offers, and THEN see if the iPad suits your requirements.

I have a mate who not only gets sucked into every new thing, but loves Apple. He wants an iPad, even though he doesn't really know what he's going to use it for!! :eek: That's the difference between buying an Apple product and buying a product to fill a gap.

Apple do a great job of marketing...

Apple sell the "experience" and the "cool".

Tablets have been around for yeeaarrs, but Apple make it sound like the iPad is the first of its kind.

Assess your requirements, evaluate the market offers, and THEN see if the iPad suits your requirements.

I have a mate who not only gets sucked into every new thing, but loves Apple. He wants an iPad, even though he doesn't really know what he's going to use it for!! :eek: That's the difference between buying an Apple product and buying a product to fill a gap.

Apple do a great job of marketing...

yes there are crazies out there. I think we all know
how long tablets hav been around for. Apple are one of the best marketers around. Good thing they actual make great products too. Cause then I'd look pretty silly now.

I actually really dislike apple as a company. I don't buy apple
products because I like apple. There products just happen to be the best well designed items out there. Great design is something I'm passionate about. So I buy everything I can well designed and most importantly well executed. Simple as that really

Back