Anyone done much canoeing..??

Just back from a camping trip. A week at 'West Kunderang', on the Macleay River.

6 families and 16 kids under 10. Did some paddleing on the river and some fishing. Those Bass are elusive, only got 2, and you have to work hard to get them, they are smart.

Photo of my two older kids in the kayaks, and the younger one is with a friend in the canoe with me.

westkunderang09138.jpg

We had a nice run of about 5 k's that took an hour.

See ya's.

Been keeping an eye on the river heights. Last week they were too high, but by the weekend I reckoned they'd be perfect. A few phone calls later, and we were doing the Chandler and Macleay again. 6 canoes and 2 kayaks and 14 blokes.

Got to our camping site before dark Friday. A heap of beer and steak and a BBQ later, and some clown brings out a dvd player, TV and a 'deliverance' movie. So for the rest of the weekend it's all 'duelling banjo's', and .....'Lewis, what are we gunna do now Lewis...???..."

Had to do a vehicle transfer in the morning. Take all the toyota's to the finish and then drive back. Took off before 10 am.

The fishing was much better this year. We caught 20 in total and ate a few. This is my canoe partner with a bass,.....

chandlerFeb2010078.jpg

The river was a bit higher this year. It was perfect,.....

chandlerFeb2010059.jpg

A lot of us blokes are pretty big. I'd reckon some canoes would have two blokes at nearly 100 kilo's, and a heap of food, camping gear and grog. Some of these canoes would be carrying nearly a quarter of a tonne...!!!......

chandlerFeb2010033.jpg

Last edited:
Lunch on Saturday had us in a nice spot,.....

chandlerFeb2010026.jpg

These blokes are in a spot of bother,......

chandlerFeb2010029.jpg

Saturday night we found a place to camp. There was some rain, but thankfully not much, just a few mills. We were camped by a nice fishing spot, and we caught a few bass after tea and again in the morning. There is a lot of skill in catching bass. The best fisherman out of us caught 5. I had no luck or skill and caught none.

chandlerFeb2010069.jpg

Sunday had some more nice rapids,.....

P1190972.jpg

This tip over was a father son duo. In the years ahead we will all be bringing our kids,.....

chandlerFeb2010009.jpg

chandlerFeb2010010.jpg

chandlerFeb2010013.jpg

A youtube. There was two blokes in a canoe who never tipped over the whole two days, and they were canoeing like panseys, waiting for everyone else to go down first and picking the safest track, or portageing. With half an hour to go for the last day, we were in high spirits. The plan was for everyone else to knock them over down one of the last decent rapids by ramming them into the fallen tree I was standing on while taking the video. Neadless to say it didn't work. The blokes who were supposed to tip over didn't.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FA4roHDtIqE

This trip was even better than last years. The water was warmer, and there were more fish.

See ya's.

Looks like a brilliant weekend away! You guys got the nice weather obviously :)

We considered taking our kayaks out and racing on our 100km mountain bike course due to the new rivers and waterfalls on the weekend.

Back