Anyone else a fitness class junky?

During winter I do a combination of weight training and calisthenics 6 days a week. During the summer I surf 2-3 days a week and work out the other days. I swim occasionally all year. Making the transition from commercial to home gym has helped with sticking to it.

:DI did this plan of the internet and shed 11kg of blubber and actually got my abs showing again;
http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/kris-gethin-12-week-daily-trainer-intro.html
Then did this;
http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/jim-stoppani-six-week-shortcut-to-shred.html
and know half way through this;
http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/kris-gethin-dtp-4-weeks-to-maximum-muscle.html
Excellent programs and buying the supplements is not necessary to get the desired results.

You need to do the workouts but the real results are from the diets.

Read in the gym the other day that statistically only 25% of people get the desired results from thier efforts and of those 90% used a personal trainer. I'm part of the 2.5% :D but this add was selling PT lessons so may or may not be true?

I definitely think a personal trainer makes a difference, if nothing else because of the accountability aspect. If you don't love exercise then there needs to be some kind of prompt to get you to do it, whether it's negative or positive. The place where I do xtend barre in Wanneroo has a policy - you book ahead for your class(es) and can cancel without penalty up to 24 hours beforehand. If you cancel within the 24 hours, you get charged anyhow (I assume if something disastrous happens that you can provide information for, this would be waived). This is a fantastic way to avoid the whole 'Oh I'm not really in the mood this morning' feeling, which is otherwise easy to give in to - especially in weather like we have today in Perth!

However I did manage to drag my sorry backside out of bed this morning and made it to my xtend barre class, for which I'm thankful for now :D

I definitely think a personal trainer makes a difference, if nothing else because of the accountability aspect.

According to the stat quoted above 97.5% of the population benefit greatly form the services of a PT. This statistic my be an indicator for more than just getting results in the physical realm.

Accountability aspect is fixed by having a public online training log :)
The links posted in my comment above have a public training log. They also have videos and lots of helpful advice. Kinda like this forum. For a frugal individual like myself it is the equivalent of having a PT but without the bill! It also helps if you tell people what you are up to. They may not comment but they will be watching :)

I've tried this many times over my almost 20 years of training, works a little, but soon gets old.
It's just too easy to stop keeping your log up to date and let it slip away.
You still need some form of motivation to keep it going.

The only way I can consistently train is by seeing a trainer twice a week.
Since starting, I've trained 3 days a week for 20 weeks straight.
Previous best was about 8 weeks before slacking off.

I've tried this many times over my almost 20 years of training, works a little, but soon gets old.
It's just too easy to stop keeping your log up to date and let it slip away.
You still need some form of motivation to keep it going.

The only way I can consistently train is by seeing a trainer twice a week.
Since starting, I've trained 3 days a week for 20 weeks straight.
Previous best was about 8 weeks before slacking off.

For cycling and running, I use www.strava.com which is a GPS tracker where you have rode/run. It logs all your pace, HR, calorie usage as well as the course you ride/run so that everyone can see everything. So good for being accountable and easy to set up.

For motivation, you can create segments of any length, and a leader board is created of the fastest person to complete the segment, called a KOM (King Of Mountain). Is also used for certain sprints as well! There is also weekly/monthly challenges which you can follow, which is good motivation.

For swimming, I log it all on my Garmin system (which I use for Strava as well, but not cross the swimming over).

This gives exact data so I can work out what is working, and what is not working for my training. Its a great log, and good to see what everyone else is doing as well.

pinkboy

If you class riding a sports motorbike as excercise then i'm a pro-athelete! :) i used to ride + 20 000km a year, and when you're counter steering ontop of crawling over the bike going from knee to knee it actually is a heck of a lot of excercise, plus good for the abs/arms/legs! Lately my excercise is carrying my 4month old 9kg bub! Im starting to get some nice biceps! :D

Back