Anyone else 'losing' posts to the forum?

G'day all,

Have you spent 10 mins replying to a poster, posted it, checked your input in the "preview" page, then "POST"ed it to the forum - only to find that IT DIDN'T GO IN !!!

And you really don't feel like doing it all again ....

Am I alone in this? It hasn't happened often to me - probably lost six or seven over the last 4 weeks ....

Any clues, anyone? Or is it just a gremlin in my laptop?

Regards,

Les

- "Eschew Obfuscation" - ;^)

Last edited by a moderator:
Reply: 1

Les
Hopefully that wasn't a reply to me that you lost - damn!
Anthony

Reply: 1.1

No, Anthony (Zul) - you got yours !!!

;^)

Les

- "Eschew Obfuscation" - ;^)

Reply: 1.1.1

Personally, I'm pretty paranoid when it comes to computers in general, but especially web based applications such as the discussion forum (hey, I'm an IT professional, so I know how this stuff works - hence my paranoia !).

When I'm writing a long post (as I do occasionally), I will often compose it in Notepad, perhaps even saving a copy to my hard drive, before cutting-and-pasting it into the forum window.

This way if you lose your link, or you have some other problem with submitting, you don't lose everything you have taken all that time over.

Just a suggestion ;-)

sim.gif

Last edited:
Reply: 2

You may have to refresh the message list by right clicking on the list section of the page and selecting 'refresh'. I have had similar problems but that fixes it.

Reply: 2.1

Hi Les
I've also had the same problem
Michael Yardney
Metropole Properties

Reply: 2.1.1

I thought this was happening to me too
but then I realised that I had actually
slipped down into the second page of
headings. As soon as I hit TOP there
were my multiple posts. It can happen
very easily when you are reading posts or
catching up with older posts a few days
old. The current page only has Next and
Botttom at the bottom. If you also see
Previous and Top at the bottom you are
not on the active page.

Donna L

Anyone else %27losing%27 posts to the forum?

Reply: 2.1.1.1

Maybe someone can tell me what I'm doing wrong. With Internet explorer,even after clicking on the "refresh" button or the "top" button, the most recent post listed is up to a month old. If I use Netscape I get all posts up till current date. At one stage, using explorer, the most recent post was 6 months old. I actually thought people had stopped using this forum. Silly me! I emptied my temporary internet files folder to solve a problem with some other software and found that this forum started working again. I've only just started using Netscape. Maybe Ill stick with it!

Reply: 2.1.1.1.1

In IE, you can try going to:

Tools -> Internet Options -> General (tab) -> Temporary Internet Files -> Settings

and set the option "Check for newer versions of stored pages" to "Every visit to the page", which will force IE to update the page every time you visit it if it has changed.

Later versions of IE handle the "Automatically" setting better than earlier ones.

The next question would be how are you accessing the internet ? From work via company network or from home via dialup or broadband link ? And which ISP are you using ? It is possible that there are some cache issues with your company network or ISP which are causing you to get old versions of the pages.

sim.gif

Last edited:
Reply: 3

Hi Les,

Subject: Anyone else 'losing' posts to the forum?

Yes, I always seem to loss my posts. I send and it never appears.

(NOTE - I get the email digest.)

Ross Sondergeld ~ Buyer Agent

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
" Imagine buying real estate the easy way...
...with a Buyer Agent on your side!!! "

Buyerside Real Estate Mobile 0412 289 464
Office 9b, 34 Glenferrie Drive Office (07) 5562 1555
East Quay Corporate Park Fax (07) 5562 1248
Robina QLD 4226, Gold Coast [email protected]
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Reply: 3.1

My big problem is how slow this site is.
Some times it seems to take forever to load.
Other times it loads reasonably well.
Don't know why, time of the day does not seem to be a factor.

"A government that robs Peter to pay Paul can always count on the support of Paul."
Of course, Paul's support is obvious, but it is equally obvious that to rob from Peter to pay Paul will make Peter
very, very angry.
My question is this: "How can you run a good government with a sore Peter?"

Reply: 3.1.1

The forum is hosted on a shared server by a third party hosting company (WebCentral)... it may well be that there is more traffic on the whole system at various times - even if there doesn't seem to be much in the way of action here.

Network congestion (both at your end and at WebCentral's end) may also have an impact.

I certainly have noticed the forum "slowing down" at times, but given the rate of new postings (wasn't all that long ago we hit 10,000 posts in the Property Investor Forum... we're now at 13329 !!), and new memberships (there are now 2,655 names registered !!), it's not all that surprising that things are slowing down a little.

sim.gif

Last edited:
Back