Anyone else ride or walk to work?

hiya

Anyone else ride or walk in to work?

I've just started cycling in to work. I stopped a few months ago after straining my knee running.

I've decided I'll ride in 3 times a week and walk the other two days.

It takes about 45 minutes to ride. Its a nice ride alongside the river in to east perth where i work. When I am fit it should take about 30 minutes.

The last couple of months I found I was getting too tired to exercise after work so I decided to exercise in the mornings. What better way than to commute into work. Then you get exercise morning and night.

I lost 7 kilos since May by walking long distances. In the last month though I got sidetracked, stressed from working long hours in this new job and the property I bought therefore put back on 2 kilos.

I'm getting back on track again! I have to/need to keep this healthy balance in my life. I need it physically and mentally. It is so important.

My goal is to lose another 8 kilos by March.

I'd be happy to lose .3 a week. Not in any hurry.

i used to rollerblade every day. i think i'd get bashed now if i did that.

i live about 15 mins walk from a train station. do i catch the train? no.

in the summer months i used to catch the bus to work and then walk home afterwards - around 45 minutes. means i didn't have to shower and change when i got there.

Work? That's a desk 4 feet away from my bed :cool:

But we walk to the school every day to get The Child. Its a lovely 10 minute walk past the creek, where you get to hear frogs croaking at the tops of their lungs and watch all the baby ducks. Sometimes we see the old fogies out bowling, or escaped sheep grazing the median strip. Or goslings. Plus all the nice gardens the old fogies make, which are full of roses at this time of year.

The child complains constantly the entire way home, all the way, every day, about how horrible we are for forcing her to walk home, or its too hot, too cold, too windy, too sunny, she's too sore, we're walking too fast, walking too slow, going the long way, etc. We've been doing it since we moved here in March or whenever it was, so you think she'd be used to it by now.

I walk, tram, train or ride - depending on my inclination. I am 6 km from the cbd.

I drive occassionally and by the end swear i will never do it again..

Cheers
Aussie

I plan to ride a bike once off my restricted licence and can get a more powerful bike (250 is tooo slow/annoying on the highway) probably doesn't count :p

I used to cycle from the train to office (about 20 mins), quit that job though as I didn't like been stuck in an office.

i used to cycle everyday from Karinnyup to vic park everyday for work until we bought a place in joondanna,but know i work at floreat so not to fAR TO Cycle, i lost 10 kilos when i did the ride from Karrinyup but know put it back on Come on summer.

Ha. Likewise. If I drive all I can think about is how much more fun cycling would be.

I cycle and it takes around the same time as driving in peak hour anyway.

cool how long does it take you? do you work in the cbd?

im glad i have the option of riding alongside the river, cos i wouldnt be game to go on the roadways, too dangerous.

I am so glad I bought my ppor in highgate, such a great location in regards to free transport, close to the riverside for cycling and walking. Its a great lifestyle.

I'm gonna get nice and fit this summer, ready for pre-season foot training in Feb.

:)

i used to cycle everyday from Karinnyup to vic park everyday for work until we bought a place in joondanna,but know i work at floreat so not to fAR TO Cycle, i lost 10 kilos when i did the ride from Karrinyup but know put it back on Come on summer.

cool you lost 10 k. its a great way to lose the weight isnt it.

when i get fitter and it only takes me 30 minutes to ride in rather than 45 mins, what i'll do is extend my ride and start from further away.

So i just dropped off my bike at the bike shop for a full service. I think my tyres are punctured also. Will get it back tuesday.

Nearby bike shop is 10 mins ride away. yey everything is so close and handy where i live.

Losing weight is a funny thing. I got sooooo much healthier a few years ago when I put on around 7kg. Amazing how many niggling health issues a bit of extra weight can fix - my sight even improved and I was getting headaches because my glasses were several notches too strong - easily fixed, at least.

Being fitter though is nice. I like our walks every day.

cool how long does it take you? do you work in the cbd?

im glad i have the option of riding alongside the river, cos i wouldnt be game to go on the roadways, too dangerous.

I am so glad I bought my ppor in highgate, such a great location in regards to free transport, close to the riverside for cycling and walking. Its a great lifestyle.

I'm gonna get nice and fit this summer, ready for pre-season foot training in Feb.

I live in the same area Kim (Highgate/Mt Lawley border) and when I worked in the CBD it was certainly quicker to ride than get the bus (or drive and park). I used to run sometimes too which was still quicker than the bus to the city.

What area do you work in?

I'm now working in Leerderville the traffic isn't as intense as heading into the city, but I still find it quicker and more exciting to cycle than drive.

i catch the train to work, and have to do a bit of walking as well (approx. 1km)

but now the weather is better iv started cycling again, my aim is to do 100kms per week, so far done 75kms this week, ride approx 20 kms per ride 3 nights a week, and a bigger ride on weekends

Back