Anyone got an availability in Perth?

Hi guys,
Bit of an odd request. My BIL & his Fiancée are looking for a place to rent in Perth (preferably northern suburb I think) and are struggling.
Is anyone here self-managing and has a property available either now or soon that they'd consider my BIL for?
I think 2 things are working against them right now: they've been living with his folks for 12 months and had minimal rental history before that; and they are looking at the lower end of the market where there is lots of competition.
2 adults, one toddler, one baby on the way. He's got a solid income working for a govt. department.
Please feel free to PM me or email [email protected] (that's not spelt how you think so copy+paste.)

That is very low end for family of 4. I didn't think any family homes would come up in that price range but did a quick search and Koondoola and a few others came up. I'm sure they will find it extremely difficult in that price range. I'm sure they would be competing against young couples moving out for the first time - and most landlords would prefer 2 people over 4!

Would they consider living with another couple? Someone I know just rented their 3x1 in a high crime suburb in Perth for $420/wk. The low end is in very high demand - may be worth considering a much bigger house where two families could live seperately.

I was in Perth earlier this year and a cousin who lives in Stirling was cleaning her IP for rent, that i went along to, 5 min from Stirling (can't remember the suburb), 3 bed, new kitchen, updated bathroom, in very good condition for $385 pw.

Unless they've gone up in price, try looking at the areas near Stirling for something in that price range.

That was around end of May/June I think - this year.

Just looked on RE.com.au at 'surrounding areas'... could have been Westminster, Balcatta, somewhere around there.

Looks like most rents are around the $350 to $400.

Are those areas bad for some reason or high crime? They're certainly not that far from the city.

I don't know or invest in those area's - but at a guess - excluding Balcatta - even though close to the city, they would be cheaper suburbs to live and would have to pick your street or property carefully. All good if a new, secure property, but an old property with no security could be asking for trouble. I was referring to another suburb where you could expect to have your front door kicked in and car robbed every so often with no secure lock up, domestics outside your front door every so often. As for the area's you are referring to, as you have stated - rents start at $350, so you are up against other desperate people who are prepared to pay that. Most likely new couples rather than families. I don't know about other investors but I find myself thinking, Application 1 - Two adults, no kids, both work full time. Rent $400/wk. If tenant 1 loses job, tenant 2 is still earning decent wage. Application 2 - Two adults, one working full time, other is home up to 24 hours a day with 2 kids.... Pick application 1

That is very low end for family of 4. I didn't think any family homes would come up in that price range but did a quick search and Koondoola and a few others came up. I'm sure they will find it extremely difficult in that price range. I'm sure they would be competing against young couples moving out for the first time - and most landlords would prefer 2 people over 4!

Yeah it is, they have been applying for some places up around $380 as well but still struggling.

Would they consider living with another couple? Someone I know just rented their 3x1 in a high crime suburb in Perth for $420/wk. The low end is in very high demand - may be worth considering a much bigger house where two families could live seperately.

I think, after a year sharing (a massive house) house with his parents they're pretty keen to have their own place again.

Just a thought - maybe he would be eligible for this? http://www.openingdoors.housing.wa.gov.au/

He probably would, and It would probably suit them, I'll ask if he's considered it. (He must have, he works for the dept. of housing.)

My friend was having probs getting a rental also. She had a rental on the outskirts of Perth but wanted to get in closer. She finally got accepted by private landlords. I'm guessing she got it from Gumtree or maybe newspaper. Her budget was up to $450 with hubby, 2 kids, 2 big dogs, several birds. I think her preference was closer to the $420 mark. She got there eventually as the landlords had just had a bad experience with young people and really wanted a family. Have they tried that avenue?

Back