Anyone got their 900 bucks yet?

The funds in my account that I thought was our stimulus was actually catch up for underpayment to me by Centrelink, so I am still waiting.

I actually still need to submit 06/07 and 07/08 :eek:

06/07 is a bit complicated and I'm still looking for paperwork with CGT.

07/08 isn't so bad...can probably get it done. Just have to make sure I have all the paperwork.

So question is can I submit 07/08 first? or do I need to do both?

I am not trading shares anymore...it's too much paperwork for tax purposes...buying/selling, dividends etc what a hassle and I lost money too. Waste of time.

Hi Sue 78.
I do not know if you have other children but believe me it gets more complexed with children. If you are receiving any sort of Govt Family A or B payments. Or even child care benifits for pre-school.

If you are getting any of these benefits but for some reason go over a certain amount of income , eg ( Capital gains that year)
you could find yourself paying tax. As well as a hefty refund for Family A or B payments along with govt child minding fees :eek:

Think you will need to get tax done in sequential order. Then ???

Isn't it a little tricky. It only says on the ATO website about the stimulus package that you have to file your 2007-2008 tax and does not mention about prior year's tax lodgement.

Just wondering if anyone has received a present from Kevin Rudd into their bank account yet.

I'm talking about the $900 for taxpayers which was supposed to start getting paid yesterday. Not the family payments etc.
I don't have it yet but not a worry.

I'm 55yo with an SMSF and somebody has just suggested a strategy. Even at a younger age, this could give a longer term gain. But I don't know if I even have my facts correct. So if I'm not right, can someone please point me in the right direction?

.Put an extra $100 into the cheque
.Therefore have $1000 to put into super
.That makes you eligible for an extra $1500 co contribution from the government.

So I've turned $100 plus Rudd's gift into $2500.

Whatever age, that's an extra big bonus.

But, at 55, somebody has suggested to me that if I can structure some of my SMSF into a "Transition to an Allocated Pension" (TRAP) which I can draw on immediately.

Is this really possible?

I don't have it yet but not a worry.

I'm 55yo with an SMSF and somebody has just suggested a strategy. Even at a younger age, this could give a longer term gain. But I don't know if I even have my facts correct. So if I'm not right, can someone please point me in the right direction?

.Put an extra $100 into the cheque
.Therefore have $1000 to put into super
.That makes you eligible for an extra $1500 co contribution from the government.

So I've turned $100 plus Rudd's gift into $2500.

Whatever age, that's an extra big bonus.

But, at 55, somebody has suggested to me that if I can structure some of my SMSF into a "Transition to an Allocated Pension" (TRAP) which I can draw on immediately.

Is this really possible?

Yes it is true:

Eligibility
From 1 July 2008, you will be eligible for the co-contribution if:

> you make a personal super contribution by 30 June each year into a complying super fund or retirement savings account
> your total income is less than $60,342 (this is indexed annually to reflect changes in average wages)
> 10% or more of your total income is from eligible employment, running a business or a combination of both
> you are less than 71 years old at the end of the year of income
> you do not hold an eligible temporary resident visa at any time during the year
> lodge your income tax return.

My partner and I got our combined $1500 by mail today. Straight into the offset account to use as a deposit when I get back to Australia. Still don't agree with it but happy to take it.

Struddy

Finally got our $900 x 2 today!

Just be careful because it is "total income" not taxable income. For example negative gearing is added back on, plus business income may be too.

Back