Anyone had Lasik or Laser Eye Surgery? Please share your experience

Thanks to everyone for sharing their experiences.

I'm going to get Laser Eye Surgery this year!!!:)

Thanks for this thread CairnsInvestor.

This has been on my "need to do" list for years but my eyesight hadn't been stable - until now. Last month I was given the all clear by my optometrist and am now checking out my suitability and clinic options.

I don't know anybody who has had it done, but this thread has convinced me that it is definately worthwhile. Like you, I cannot wait!!

Sunshine

However what is the chance of being seriously hurt on public transport and losing your sight from lasik.
I don't know ................and I am not encouraging you to have eye surgery , but perhaps base your fear of loss of sight on reality and not on supposition.
I hope that didn't come across harshly
Lasik does go wrong ,and,like all operations they need to be taken very seriously.

Fear of the unknown may be what you are referring to.
I just know from my wifes experience it almost revolutionised her life.

I agree. I wouldn't encourage anyone to do it, but I wouldn't be negative if someone says they want to do it. Personally, I'm too chicken to do it.
Alex

I'll be getting Lasik as soon as I turn 21 (hope I'm suitable).

Does anyone know, generally, what kind of people are not suitable?

i believe they do prefer you to be in your late 20's - as the eyes and face shape don't stop forming until around 24.

but i might be wrong ... your optometrist will let you know when you're ready.

as for the smell - breath through your mouth ...

i believe they do prefer you to be in your late 20's - as the eyes and face shape don't stop forming until around 24.

but i might be wrong ... your optometrist will let you know when you're ready.

as for the smell - breath through your mouth ...

This is true. You correction level needs to be stable for at least 2 years otherwise you're chasing a moving target. This usually happens at around 25.

I didn't notice any smell?

I've also had problems with the monthly and 14 day contacts. Dailies are great though.

I had it done and really it was the best thing ever!! I can't add much more to what has already been said other than to say, thank you from the bottom of my heart to the wonderful medical people who have the skills to perform this surgery.

When everthing around you is a blur without glasses, nothing can compare to waking up the morning after the operation and looking over at the bedside clock and all the digits are crystal clear!!!! The most amazing thing ever.

I did it!!

Had it done earlier this year. I now have mono vision. One eye set for reading and the other for long distance. Excellent. I only find it a bit difficult when driving at night with the lights orbing a bit. A $59 pair of glasses for night driving fixed that.

I had lasik on one eye and a lens replacement on the other.

Would I recommend it - absolutely!!!! The freedom is fantastic!!

Sunshine

Fantastic!

I used to only wear glasses for driving up until recently I started getting headaches more often and needed glasses. Now I wear it about 60% of the time.

I went to see an optometrist but it seems I have tow ait 1 year b4 I can get a referral to Laser eye surgery. I'm so desperate to get it done as I hate wearing glasses.

I will get it as soon as I can.

Loads of my friends have had it done. My eyesight isn't that bad but getting there slowly.

I went to see an optometrist but it seems I have tow ait 1 year b4 I can get a referral to Laser eye surgery. I'm so desperate to get it done as I hate wearing glasses.

From what the Lasik people have told me, this is not the case. It took my eyes almost 21 years to be stable. Only to be told that I didn't have to wait!!

Make an appointment to find out if you are suitable NOW! Call Lasik. Go on...

I used Laser Sight they are Australia wide. They offer a free suitability assessment phone 1800 00 3937 or www.lasik.com.au

Sunshine

Last edited:
usually your eyes are stable by the time you are late 20's and i was told this is the optimum age to have then done at.

I went to Thailand for mine - $1200 per eye. The big centre in Bangkok is the best in Asia - more than 50,000 operations a year.

I went for monocular - meaning one eye only. Reason being, it seemed I was swapping short sighted for long sighted (ie replacing glasses for driving with glasses for reading).

As it is, one eye sees perfectly well for distance, one eye perfectly well for fine print, both work together for distance estimations and no glasses needed at all.

Worth talking to the doctors about it. You then have the option of doing the other eye later if you wish - but I've found it a perfect result overall. Also one at a time is good insurance if you're nervous about the concept and result.

I got mine done late last year and it's fantastic! Everyone speaks about been able to see the very next day, I wasn't suitable for that exact proceedure (not that I was aware until after the operation as I didn't ask enough questions or read maybe), I needed eye drops for about 3-4 months after the op and my vision wasn't great for the first two weeks.
Still I remember seeing clearly for the first time, I was in the car with my G/F driving at night and it felt like I could see forever. Just a great feeling.

I now have 20/20 vision - but I still have a slight "something" with my eyes. They will do me again for about $200 and I should get better vision still! I had to wait a full year for the rezapping though - which is right about now!

I had both my eyes done in 1995. I am now aged 44 (a very young 44).

I was short sighted then. Had worn glasses since I was 20. Best thing ever. I still do not wear glasses for distance or reading. Although have noticed in the last couple of months that the fine print on medications/vaccines a little harder to read unless I have them at arms length. No problems reading books, newspapers or anything yet.

Think of all the money you will save on glasses in the future. Also, any medical expenses over $1500? are claimable off your tax. I am not sure if this is the current figure for this financial year.

Kinga

I had both eyes done as I was sick of not being able to see where my towel was when I came out of the water at the beach. Not to mention walking up to someone that I thought was my husband and having to walk past and turn around.

Blind as a bat! :eek:

Only 7 years on, I have noticed the sight in my left eye diminishing. As a matter of fact, it was only about two weeks ago I first noticed.

Regardless, I don't regret the freedom of sight it gave me. I would do it again in an instant.

I wonder if I can?

Regards JO

Josko, it depends on how thick your cornea (I think) is. I was told I could have the treatment done at least 3 times. So If you are ever keen to have it done again go for it, or atleast ask

Josko, it depends on how thick your cornea (I think) is. I was told I could have the treatment done at least 3 times. So If you are ever keen to have it done again go for it, or atleast ask

Thanks j-p, I didn't know that.

I have noticed in the past two three weeks now that my left eye has become decidingly worse. I think it may be time for another visit.;)

Regards JO

Back