Anyone invested in SILVER?

So, a couple of weeks ago I was at a conference where the CEO of a very large Japanese manufacturer of electric goods spoke about the supply & demand gap regarding particular commodities. Actually, the speech was not about this but he mentioned it. This company is mainly concerned with Indium, as he said there's expected to be only 5-6 yrs supply left. He also mentioned that current estimates put world silver supply at 15 years. This made me sit up & take notice.

I have done a bit of research. Most of the stuff I've read estimates 15-20 years left and other people think it's a moot point because industry will (hopefully) find something else to replace it. I have done a search for previous threads and found a few, including that Kiyosaki was bullish on silver a few years ago. On one hand it seems cheap considering supply issues, increasing demand and relativities with gold. On the other hand, just because it SEEMS cheap does not mean that it will outperform as an investment. My question is, has anyone here researched it? Have you invested in silver (or looking at it)? I am talking physical bars / rounds here, not derivatives.

I am very bullish on Silver (& Gold). Silver mainly due to it's:
Increasing industrial use (solar panels, replacement for other metals like platinum)
Reducing supply (reduced grades being found, not as much mined as often a biproduct)
It has the history as money like Gold and will achieve a premium for this in coming years
GSR (Gold:Silver Ratio) is Currently very high compared to historical norms (bullish for Silver)

I have a pretty large portion of my investment capital in Silver miners (CCU & SVL), also exposure to companies which have exposure to Silver like TRY.

There are lots of things that only supposedly have a 15-20 year supply. There are lots of reasons as to why this maybe the case and why there always seems to be more but I won't speculate as I don't know too much.

What I do know is that Warren Buffet made a large (about 20% of the world's) purchase of silver around 10 years ago I believe it was and from what I read he actually toke delivery of the silver too. Youcould probably do worse things than follow his lead ...

I've been buying silver bullion for the past 2 years slowly - mainly kilo bars. Has not really performed well recently with the rising Aussie $ but in my mind that still makes it affordable for me.

Personally I like the fact it is a consumable metal, rather than preserved like gold. It is heavily used for electronics, electricity, medical, photographics (although this is likely to continue to decline with the advent of digital cameras) as well as investment and jewellery.

You might want to check this link out to the silver institute...
http://www.silverinstitute.org/

and maybe a few other sites that are more independant.

Do your research and make your decision based on knowledge.

OSS

I've been buying silver bullion for the past 2 years slowly - mainly kilo bars.

I don't keep a diary but I have been buying "bits 'n' pieces" of both Ag and Au for most of this decade. When I started buying silver it was @ A$7/oz.

I don't wish to pretend that this has assured me a "life in the sun". We are talking small change, but the ability to resell these collector's items at many multiples of cost, on eBay with no paper trail is attractive.

I don't wish to pretend that this has assured me a "life in the sun". We are talking small change, but the ability to resell these collector's items at many multiples of cost, on eBay with no paper trail is attractive.

I didn't think of this aspect; which is unusual and kinda handy as investments go. BTW, when you say "collector's items" are you referring to coins?

BTW, when you say "collector's items" are you referring to coins?

Yes. But I have collected them at a small premium over spot. This
http://www.jaggards.com.au/shop/viewproduct.asp?productid=1908&categoryid=68
is the only coin I've paid a real premium for. It has $100 face value (way below actual value) but was minted by The Perth Mint with status as "currency" and as such any duplication is actually counterfeit according to federal law.

The beauty of a 1oz currency coin is that it is, indeed, legal tender and as such can only be minted by an authorised mint. This is my favourite:
http://www.goldprice.org/buying-gold/2006/03/australian-prospector-gold-coin.html
You can buy and sell anonymously.

For anyone still following Silver there were some very interesting comments made by a commissioner of the CFTC (regulatory body) the other day:

I take this opportunity to comment on the precious metals markets and in particular the silver markets. More than two years ago, the agency began an investigation into silver markets. I have been urging the agency to say something on the matter for months. The public deserves some answers to their concerns that silver markets are being, and have been, manipulated.

I believe that there have been repeated attempts to influence prices in the silver markets. There have been fraudulent efforts to persuade and deviously control that price. Based on what I have been told by members of the public, and reviewed in publicly available documents, I believe violations to the Commodity Exchange Act (CEA) have taken place in silver markets and that any such violation of the law in this regard should be prosecuted.
http://www.cftc.gov/PressRoom/SpeechesTestimony/chiltonstatement102610.html

There are also some rumours going around that a class action lawsuit is being prepared against JP Morgan, one of the "Silver manipulators". We've already seen a very sharp rise in the price of Silver over the last couple of months and I suspect that rise will soon continue.

I started a blog on Gold/Silver/Miners (and even a couple on housing :D) around 5 weeks back if anyone is interested: http://www.bullionbaron.com/

I've been folloing Silver for quite some time, listening to webcasts, blogs etc. very interesting, pity I don't have much Silver at the moment.

Back