Anyone read these books?

A

Anonymous

Hello,

I saw on the "Today" program this morning Anita Bell. She was talking about her new book "Your Investment Property". Has anyone read this book or any of her other books? Would you recommend them?

She was a bit vague during the interview and it was difficult to gauge if the book would be worth buying.

CHeers

Jim

Last edited by a moderator:
Reply: 1

G'day Jim,

This is the lady who wrote "How to pay off your home in 5 years (by someone who did it in 3 ....)" It came out around 18 months to 2 years back.

At standard book price of $20 you are bound to get some good ideas from her. I can say not all of her ideas suited me, but she comes across as knowing a lot of "ins-and-outs" of RE investing.

Well worth a read IMHO,

Regards,

Les

- "Eschew Obfuscation" - ;^)

Reply: 2

I had a look at the book the other day. It is $15.95. She only owns 3 investment properties and her knowledge in some areas seemed pretty light on. However there were some good checklists for inspecting properties etc.

Gordon

Reply: 2.1

On 7/10/02 11:42:00 AM, Gordon Austin wrote:
>I had a look at the book the
>other day. It is $15.95. She
>only owns 3 investment
>properties and her knowledge
>in some areas seemed pretty
>light on. However there were
>some good checklists for
>inspecting properties etc.
>

I'm with Gordon on this one. I skimmed it at the airport (so caveat my review with that)

Anita Bell's first book is a scrimper and saver's delight on budgeting. Altho I have to disagree with her views about insurance - it's always expensive until you need it!

But this one seems like just trying to milk her book brand (not that there's anything wrong with that...just not enough good info for anyone beyond beginner stage). You've got to admire her drive and zeal though - as soon as she gets a handle on something she pumps out a book about it...

On the other hand though, at 16 bucks it is pretty cheap if it gives u just one good idea.

Reply: 3

I'm not sure, but I'm told that the property she paid off in 3 years was bought for something like $60K.

I heard her speak two years ago, probably not too long after that book had been put out. She was advocating paying off as much of an investment property as possible- like her own home, as quickly as possible. I think the implication was that you only bought another when you had paid off the first- at least substantially.

I don't know if she changed her mind by the second book.

Reply: 3.1

Geoff,

I only skimmed through her book but I think she still takes the pay it off approach. Also it never ceases to amaze me also how many of these authors don't understand the difference between LOC and offset accounts when it comes to tax deductibilty issues. There are so many traps when using LOC facilities for investment purposes and many books don't address this.

I'm yet to find a better place than this forum for these more specific issues or at least as a trigger to find out more.

Gordon

Reply: 3.1.1

Gordon,

Care to elaborate a bit more about differences between a LOC & offset A/C? I'm still learning & hence would appreciate any inputs. Thanx!

Cheers
Wei

Reply: 3.1.1.1

Hi Wei,

This topic has been covered extensively in recent posts. Just use the "search" option to track down the posts.

Cheers - Gordon

Back