Anyone win lotto last night? No? Didn't think so,

how are odds calculated?

I thought it would be calculated by:

45 x 44 x 43 x 42 x 41 x 40 x 39

but this works out to 1:22871328400 or there abouts, but it is claimed there is a 1 in 45 million chance approx?

How is this calculated?

OSS

I thought it would be calculated by:

45 x 44 x 43 x 42 x 41 x 40 x 39

but this works out to 1:22871328400 or there abouts, but it is claimed there is a 1 in 45 million chance approx?

How is this calculated?

OSS

Check out http://www.tattersalls.com.au/ and cllick on "Probability formulae" at left. Only a mathematician could hav come up with it.

Personally, I prefer the property investor's probability of becoming wealthy. Much simpler.

Project 1080.

The project: 10 IPs in 80 mths

hi all
a very simple question why it that you never see a millionaire winning any lotto.
they don't play
the saying is you have to be in it to win it
true but you also have to have alot of losers stood next to you.
I don't gamble I have seen what it does
people can do what they wish that does not mean I have to do it.
and lotto and gambling for me is a bit of a joke
to spend 3 to gain a possible 1 is not good odds.
and so I think its a waste of time and don't have any wish to get involved
the sport of kings is the same to me
any sport that require a complete loss of capital is silly
but that again is me
to see a tumbler turn round a horse across a line or a blue ball drop to me is just sick
why because I have seen what they do to people
these distroy people
they send families into total breakdown
the two largest causes of problems in families is alcohol and gambling
yet we have this on at 6.30 or 7.00 clock to me this is a sick joke
we have some bird in a frilly dress saying you can win 90 mil
while we have one of the largest gambling problems in the world to me is sick
I have a very strong thing with regards gambling as I have seen what it can do
does do and will do
unlike smoking or drugs it does not have something on the outside.
this is within the person
now you can say well thats there problem
no its our problem
it was fine to have smokes on tv and that changed
and gambling does more damage then smokes
smokes hurt or kills one person and the person that decided to tke up smoking
gambling kills a family it stops them from functioning and having a income
its like a drug and they have to have the fix
the family is 3rd or 4rth behind the trots or the pokies
now a cig you can have one and you can stop for 1hr etc
gambling you cant.
its the next turn of the dice, the next horse or the next lotto
what make my sick is not gambling in itself
its that it looks like its fine
its have a go to win 90 mil
maybe they need an add like the ice add where they do the lotto and bring people hooked on the slots
that would very interesting
did I put in my lotto
yes
the trouble is you can't see the numbers
because of the sick

I hardly ever buy a ticket in lotto. We used to buy a standard ticket every week for years until I added up what we had spent and compared it to what we had won!!!! It was really hard those first few weeks as I was terrified that our regular numbers would come up and we would miss out!

Well it's been about 10 years now and I don't think they have come up yet, although I have stopped checking, makes you realize how easy it is for an addiction to form.

I have stood in line behind people who are buying their week's worth of games and spending over $100 and I am thinking man, if you put that even into a negatively geared place you would be a sure thing to be better off in a few years. But they would probably see THAT as risky!

I still buy one every now and then, I have one for tonight but it is only my second ticket this year so I think I am over my addiction lol. ;)

We are in, had fun picking our own numbers, Mr OO has this thing ..he will out of the blue asks for me to pick up a "random" ticket wherever I maybe, he usually has a win, sometimes it is just four numbers, sometimes more. :) He only asks a few times a year...I NEVER ignore Mr OO's hunches and gut feeling on tattslotto.

My mum had some time in hossie, we were staying in Malvern and she asked out of the blue for me to get her a tattslotto ticket, she got 5 numbers.

So, while we don't do tattslotto on regular basis it has been an interesting interaction with far out random gambling.:)

...and our work tattslotto, after kicking in a couple of bucks each, we rarely ever had to top up funds, we had wins and it all kept ticking over running itself, our xmas party was usually courtesy of tattslotto, we had set numbers there.
Sometimes, there were other parties funded through the year from tattslotto div wins too, ocassional trips away, nothing spectacular but enough for our costs, I'd never given it much thought before.

I think I might have altered Mr OO's dynamics this time though, instead of getting a random ticket I wrote up the numbers and we took turns drawing them out of a hat. I think I will get him a couple of bucks quickpick, I shouldn't tamper with the Mr OO system.

Check out http://www.tattersalls.com.au/ and cllick on "Probability formulae" at left. Only a mathematician could hav come up with it.

Personally, I prefer the property investor's probability of becoming wealthy. Much simpler.

Project 1080.

The project: 10 IPs in 80 mths

Thanks P1080.

I actually worked it out a little after i posted :eek:

having never really gotten into lotto. Would be very handy to know what combinations have not been picked and buy those if you could get access to that, but i doubt that would be allowable.

OSS

Apparently if you spend $54million you can cover all your bases, and win the big one....of course no-one (with $54mill) would be stupid enough to do that...and of course that doesnt stop some random from also winning first div, in which case you would win less than the $54mill you shelled out :eek::eek:

Slightly off topic, but is Clio Cresswell (the mathematician they keep interviewing about the odds of winning lotto etc) totally hot, or what?
Blonde, smart, articulate ..
I've been giving this a bit too much thought, haven't I :eek:

Slightly off topic, but is Clio Cresswell (the mathematician they keep interviewing about the odds of winning lotto etc) totally hot, or what?

Her main topic for public speaking is on maths and sex (she's even written a book about it). I daresay you're not the first to have given it at least a little thought, mate :D

Yes you have. But totally understandable.
Almost as good as watching Sweet & Sour on C31.

The problem I now have is how do I tell my wife that i'm developing an obsession for reading Clio a lot more? (makes sense when you say it rather than read it)

Project 1080.

The project: 10 IPs in 80 mths.

Apparently if you spend $54million you can cover all your bases, and win the big one....of course no-one (with $54mill) would be stupid enough to do that...and of course that doesnt stop some random from also winning first div, in which case you would win less than the $54mill you shelled out :eek::eek:

There were two syndicates I recall of days gone buy where the first had every combination possible, so were guaranteed on Div 1, etc. Don't know what it cost but there were multiple div 1 winners. net result? Got back less than what they paid in.

Secod was another syndicate, with can method, cover every combination. Only one problem. They missed one single solitary number for one single solitary combination. Do I really need to say what happened? You guessed it. Got back less than what they paid in.

Project 1080.

The project: 10 IPs in 80 mths.

Who cares with how many others ?

good for you, enjoy whatever came your way Bluecard !

Is all this "you;d be a fool to think lotto was a wise way to invest" being directed to the wrong people, most of you guys seem to already understand this.....

I chipped in $about $33 last $20million draw with 3 mates... got a system 10 ticket with 10 numbers.....

Got 1 in the draw lol

But don't worry, I didn't sell an investment property to buy the ticket

I used to think the odds of winning were 45*44*43*42*41*40 = 5.8Billion to 1.

But straightened myself out with the combinations formula from my old high school text.
The first ball has 6 chances in 45 of being a winner, the second ball has 5 chances in 44, etc etc. which gives 45c6 = 8,145,060 to 1.

OSS it is a relatively well known strategy to buy the numbers least chosen by others so as to increase the payout.....though not so well known that there isn't an advantage.

well im getting close...in 4 weeks ive picked up a wopping $120 smackers!

last night i had the first four numbers that came out....sweat started, hands were shaking...then nothing further...won $20.45!

what a let down! :)

still im not complaining, im in the black in winnings currently by $80.25 or so....better quit while im ahead i recon...

havnt put a ticket in for years, just started again weekly in june, no idea why actually.......

hope others had a small win last night.....odds are pretty average i must admit.....

Back