Anything easier than MYOB?

I'm finally sitting down, on this hot windy day, to sort out my tax for my operating company that requires BAS statements.

A few years back I invested in MYOB, did a short course and launched in ... not having a bookkeeping mindset I find MYOB so difficult and, although I've tried to input everything right, I am sure I've majorly screwed up with how I've entered my receipts and income. It is such a seriously complicated and confusing bookkeeping system for us non-accounting types ... and hence just want to start all over again and put in the last few years of data afresh in case I ever get called to task.

Preferably WITHOUT MYOB.

Now - Property Manager Pro I love ... two simple types of entry - income via word category and expenses via word category - GST applicable or not ... but doesn't do wages obviously.

Is there a program out there with Property Manager Pro simplicity for non-property transactions? Or should I just dump my MYOB entries and start again with it, with my MYOB for Dummies beside me (which is just as confusing as the program). I struggle even to start a new financial year with this system!

I'm to the point where seriously considering pen and paper and ledger book. I don't have enough go-thru to justify a bookkeeper at this stage

Not a fan of Xcel but have heard good things about Xero ... I did try a trial period of Xero a few years back before getting MYOB and still found it difficult to get my head around ...

... note -this is someone who had a eureka moment when I finally "got it" at the age of 35 that for every withdrawal there must be a deposit somewhere else - whether it be in a transfer from one account to another or putting cash in your wallet ... and then when the cash comes out of your wallet it is deposited into the shopowners till (or pocket) - and then out from the shopowners till into their bank account

Will have another look at it - otherwise I'll just set up a dummy property at PropMP until it ever has to do wages down the track - and then I'll be up to getting a bookkeeper.

Hi Lizzie

How about simply farming off to a book keeper.

I use MYOB (and am conversant with it) but am now using a guy in the Philippines (at $6 ph) to do the entries.

He made mention of the BAS etc so is at least familiar with the concept.

I found him via oDesk and pay him via the same.

It's working well for what I want.

Cheers

Im still using Quicken Cashbook from 2001.

Easy category based inputs and BAS reporting etc.

Not sure what it's equivalent is today from Quicken but I find it wayyyyyy easier than MYOB.

Software

If you find MYOB difficult then forget other software...Its pretty much all same. You enter all receipts, enter all payments, reconcile etc. They vary in terms of reporting (complexity) and cloud etc. Personally Quickbooks I hate - Its way too complex and I have been doing this for a living for 20+ years. MYOB is as simple as they get.

One simple alternative for clients who arent good with spreadsheets either is Cashflow Manager. Its a glorified cashbook. With some extras - Tracks receivables too if you want. http://www.cashflow-manager.com.au/default.aspx
Trial available - 30 days.

Personally I always setup the payment & receipt categories for my clients. End of quarter they reconcile bank account. Print GST report. Complete BAS. Done. Needs to be customised for each clients needs but easy to do.

Oh dear - sprung - as I recall asking a similar question 3-odd years ago.

I think I went MYOB because down the track will be wages ... and did have a trial of xero and quicken at the time and they were both awful (in my opinion) so it was best of a bad bunch.

... but will give cashflow manager a free trial over the next few days ... started having a go at freshbooks but already hit a snag as can only do invoiced income ... quicken looks way to complicated nowadays ... to me MYOB is just not logical to non bookkeeping minds ... might give xero another go if all else fails

Last edited:
Xero seems to have the same problem as freshbooks that one cannot put in a non-invoiced income payments or expenses ... and where does one input things like bank fees and ATO gst refund?

This is so confusing!

After using Xero for the past 6 months, I can whole heatedly recommended it.

Xero seems to have the same problem as freshbooks that one cannot put in a non-invoiced income payments or expenses ... and where does one input things like bank fees and ATO gst refund?

This is so confusing!

Definitely can input non invoiced items/expenses. I have the automatic bank feed setup and a couple of times a week I just code it all up. 'Easy as' to just put it in a revenue code or expense code. I was operating for a couple of months with no invoices but decide to set them up as I wanted to trace the income and also use it as a check measure.

Bank Fee's have a GST excluded account code.
I had to ask my accountant about the GST refund but from memory it was entered as a debit to the liability account.

Definitely can input non invoiced items/expenses.

Where!? And how!? I can't seem to find it

Sorry - I am not very computer savvy - and not accounting savvy at all - a creative type - so get very frustrated when this sort of thing is not obvious or in a language I don't understand.

Really want something that just is income/expenses (and calls them such), assets/liabilities (and calls them such in simple language like - "money owed to you") and invoices

I tried their trial - but couldn't find where to put non-invoice income (share dividend) ... maybe have another session tomorrow

I tried their trial - but couldn't find where to put non-invoice income (share dividend) ... maybe have another session tomorrow

You can call the help centre..................its in Adelaide:eek::eek: not overseas,so you are supporting Australian jobs as well !!!

+1 for Rent Manager. I have used it for many years. When I changed Windows Version I phoned the Help Desk and they gave me a code to enter so I didn't have to buy an upgraded version.

I just enter my rents, agent's fees, etc each month, so come the end of the year I am ready to do my Tax.

Its great as I can see my income month to month, as I can print off a combined report of all the properties in one combined statement.

Chris

MYOB is so over the top for most businesses. Good ol' excel. The problem now a days is that nothing is 'legit' unless it is printed out of myob. as someone said to me yesterday "anyone could just go and print anything out of excel"...umm, ok...

Back