Anything else that I can do?

A bit of a mess at the moment...:(

Tenant stops pay rent due to redundancy, PM sent out appropriate notices and has scheduled a tribunal hearing today, still talked with the PM 2 days ago regarding the tribunal, but after today hearing time, try to contact the PM to get an update, instead received phone message that the agency is closed and asked to contact the Consumer Affairs Victoria (CAV)...:confused:

Contact CAV, was informed that the agency is under investigation, CAV would help to keep all received rent (also have 2 other properties managed by this agent), no further information can be given, and ask to wait for the instruction letter, which should be ready by next week.

Contact tribunal, the tenant and obviously the PM didn't turn up, the hearing is on hold, also ask to wait for the instruction letter, which should be ready by the end of the week.

So now the tenant is staying in the IP without paying rent, the PM is missing, the agency is closed, and all rents are freezed.

I am more concern with the tenant, but didn't feel comfortable to face the tribunal myself, so will go and look for a new PM tomorrow, hope they can help me to follow up with the tribunal. But since they can't access or obtain my files from the closed agency, would that be possible for them to do the job? And will they take it on? Instead of sit and wait for the letters, is there any other thing else that I can do?

Super.

A bit of a mess at the moment...:(

Tenant stops pay rent due to redundancy, PM sent out appropriate notices and has scheduled a tribunal hearing today, still talked with the PM 2 days ago regarding the tribunal, but after today hearing time, try to contact the PM to get an update, instead received phone message that the agency is closed and asked to contact the Consumer Affairs Victoria (CAV)...:confused:

Contact CAV, was informed that the agency is under investigation, CAV would help to keep all received rent (also have 2 other properties managed by this agent), no further information can be given, and ask to wait for the instruction letter, which should be ready by next week.

Contact tribunal, the tenant and obviously the PM didn't turn up, the hearing is on hold, also ask to wait for the instruction letter, which should be ready by the end of the week.

So now the tenant is staying in the IP without paying rent, the PM is missing, the agency is closed, and all rents are freezed.

I am more concern with the tenant, but didn't feel comfortable to face the tribunal myself, so will go and look for a new PM tomorrow, hope they can help me to follow up with the tribunal. But since they can't access or obtain my files from the closed agency, would that be possible for them to do the job? And will they take it on? Instead of sit and wait for the letters, is there any other thing else that I can do?

Super.

You might want to check with the insurance company for your landlord insurance if they cover for tenant default. If they do, then you would be able to claim the loss of rent for a certain period, depending on the policy.

I just attended the tribunal in Jul, in QLD though, tenant did not turn up which was good, as the hearing was only for 10 mins ( waited for 7 weeks, and 2 hours on the hearing day).

Hope things turn out in your favour in the end.

Anne

Thanks, yes, I have checked with the insurance company as well, to let them know the situation, but they said it is pretty much nothing I can do at the moment, because if I want to make a claim, I need all the paperworks that I don't have, besides, the tenant still live in the property with a pending hearing...:(

I feel for your situation however to an extent you are to blame.
When hiring a PM you should insist that copies of all paperwork should be sent to you , this includes tenancy agreements, rent statements, breach notices, etc.

That way if the PM does go AWOL you can continue by either passing on copies of your copies to a new PM or taking matters into your own hands, which I recommend everyone should do at least once.
A.

Back