ANZ nudges its variable rate along another notch

Just to add and find it amazing that most think the RBA should contol it anyway. Because Governments are so good at running things.........

Let the markets control it!

Everytime the RBA moves their rates lower, then the people who are saving and not taking on massive amounts of debt, are persecuted and the people taking on more debt are rewarded.

Why - so we can have a recovery based on debt. LOL will they never learn. We could have the same recovery based on savings, if they let it be.

Funding is expensive from overseas because of risk, yet any people saving here are expected to take on the same risk, for less, because our government dictates it.

I add that at least the RBA are halfway decent and not pushing the low interest rates - they are halfway smart.

Yes it is all part of their plan to condition the public that rates are not linked to the RBA rate and it seems like the plan is working.

That's definitely one of the reasons.

The other reason being in Feb even though ANZ was the first to move to increase it's rates it only increased them by 0.06%. Whereas it's main competitors increased them on average by 0.1%. So ANZ had to do some catching up (0.04%) + bit more, hence 0.06% increase takes them to where they should have been in Feb. if they increased by the same amount as it's competitors.

Cheers,
Oracle.

That's definitely one of the reasons.

The other reason being in Feb even though ANZ was the first to move to increase it's rates it only increased them by 0.06%. Whereas it's main competitors increased them on average by 0.1%. So ANZ had to do some catching up (0.04%) + bit more, hence 0.06% increase takes them to where they should have been in Feb. if they increased by the same amount as it's competitors.

Cheers,
Oracle.

Whats the bet the others jump on as well to maintain their margins.

.06 % doesnt sound like much, but if your ROI is 20 % or so, then .06 would likley make a sig lift in margin

ta
rolf

Just to add and find it amazing that most think the RBA should contol it anyway. Because Governments are so good at running things.........

Everytime the RBA moves their rates lower, then the people who are saving and not taking on massive amounts of debt, are persecuted and the people taking on more debt are rewarded.

Why - so we can have a recovery based on debt. LOL will they never learn. We could have the same recovery based on savings, if they let it be.

Funding is expensive from overseas because of risk, yet any people saving here are expected to take on the same risk, for less, because our government dictates it.

I add that at least the RBA are halfway decent and not pushing the low interest rates - they are halfway smart.

In many ways yes but let's not forget that by way of the Banking Act and the nature of their business, banks are quasi-government entities. They are very different from your normal business.

Am I missing something??

How can the ANZ state that the reason for increasing the rates is due to the increasing cost of funding when the reserve requirements for banks to lend in Australia is zero?

What is the Reserve Requirement figure?

A Reserve Requirement under a fractional reserve system is generally stated as a percentage, and is set by the central bank in order to restrict the ability of banks to lend. A figure of 0% indicates that banks can monetize as much debt as they please, while a figure of 100% indicates that they can only lend out to the value of their deposits.

As can be seen from the Wikipedia entry below - there is no reserve requirement on Australia banks.

See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reserve_requirement

So where is this additional cost of funding coming from?

I can't comment on ANZs cost of funding and how it relates to their rate increase. Like everyone else, I have no idea what their cost of funding is.

The other banks haven't made any announcements yet, but I have no doubt they will shortly. It is worth noting some interesting figures however:

1. ANZ announced their new funding policy in November.
2. In Febuary they moved out of sync with the RBA by 0.06%.
3. Other banks made similar moves in Febuary:
BOM/St George: 0.10%
CBA: 0.10%
HomeSide: 0.09%
NAB: 0.09%
Westpac: 0.10%

Unfortunately I wasn't tracking the second tier lender rate movements back then, but it's making for a very interesting spreadsheet so far.

I said it in November and I'll say it again. ANZs moves may or may not be legit, but they've set themselves up to be the public whipping boy whilst the other lenders gouge customers even more.

If you hate ANZ, you can't say you're the other banks are any better. The RBA dropping rates will only give more margins to the banks, it won't do much for the public. What we really need is some real competition, but I don't know where that will come from.

If you hate ANZ, you can't say you're the other banks are any better. The RBA dropping rates will only give more margins to the banks, it won't do much for the public. What we really need is some real competition, but I don't know where that will come from.

I agree Peter - I was very saddened years ago when the non-bank funders and their clients got decimated by the GFC and withdrew from the market. I knew then, as I know now, that this was going to lead to gouging of customers when the dust cleared.

Also, let's not forget the additional red tape imposed by NCCP has removed the certainty that some lenders have to enter the minefield that is residential mortgages. Is it a coded loan? What if it isn't? What is 'not unsuitable'? I have grappled with many lenders / compliance officers over these ridiculous things. I don't blame non-bank lenders for not trying to get back into this stupid area for fear of having a criminal conviction and/or having their debt set aside. Even the banks and brokers don't get it right according to ASIC - how is any new player supposed to?

I can't comment on ANZs cost of funding and how it relates to their rate increase. Like everyone else, I have no idea what their cost of funding is.

So Pete,

If this is the major reason given for the increase, why aren't the pollies and the media taking the Banks to task to explain what their cost of funding is.

They can't keep wheeling out this dead horse and no-one says bo-peep about it. Someone finally has to kick it to see if it is real or not.

If I was Chairman of one of the Big 4 Banks, whoever came up with that supposedly unchallengable excuse, s/he'd be getting a rather large bonus at this point.

Am I missing something??

How can the ANZ state that the reason for increasing the rates is due to the increasing cost of funding when the reserve requirements for banks to lend in Australia is zero?

What is the Reserve Requirement figure?

A Reserve Requirement under a fractional reserve system is generally stated as a percentage, and is set by the central bank in order to restrict the ability of banks to lend. A figure of 0% indicates that banks can monetize as much debt as they please, while a figure of 100% indicates that they can only lend out to the value of their deposits.

As can be seen from the Wikipedia entry below - there is no reserve requirement on Australia banks.

See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reserve_requirement

So where is this additional cost of funding coming from?

Not true.

Visit the APRA site and search for APS 210.

So Pete,

If this is the major reason given for the increase, why aren't the pollies and the media taking the Banks to task to explain what their cost of funding is.

They can't keep wheeling out this dead horse and no-one says bo-peep about it. Someone finally has to kick it to see if it is real or not.

Not sure why you're addressing me personally on this Dazz, but the The Age published several articles on this topic this morning.

http://www.theage.com.au/business/theyre-having-a-lend-of-us-20120416-1x3p6.html

http://www.theage.com.au/business/anz-accused-of-favouring-new-over-old-20120416-1x3q4.html

I'm just pointing out that whilst the ANZ is getting the negative headlines, the other banks are gouging it even further. If you track the bank rate moments on a monthly basis, it's a fairly obvious conclusion.

Not true.

Visit the APRA site and search for APS 210.

Hi TF,

I have scanned through the reference document, but was unable to locate a specific reference to the reserve requirement.

Are you saying there is a reserve requirement (I know Wikipedia isn't always the most reliable source) because this limits the banks ability to monetize debt, or are you saying its irrelevant?

Maybe you could provide a specific quote from your reference?

I'm just trying to get my head around what ANZ are referring to when they state that the cost of funding has increased, because the media just seems to repeat this information to the masses and it becomes a fact without any evidence whatsoever.

US UK Australia
cash rates 0.25%, 0.5%, 4.25%
unemployment rates 8.2%, 8.4%, 5.2%

Obviously the RBA thinks the risk of higher Aussie unemployment is so high we need to reflect that in returns for govt bonds.

The cash rates are not reflective of the available interest rates in those countries though

Hi TF,

I have scanned through the reference document, but was unable to locate a specific reference to the reserve requirement.

Are you saying there is a reserve requirement (I know Wikipedia isn't always the most reliable source) because this limits the banks ability to monetize debt, or are you saying its irrelevant?

Maybe you could provide a specific quote from your reference?

I'm just trying to get my head around what ANZ are referring to when they state that the cost of funding has increased, because the media just seems to repeat this information to the masses and it becomes a fact without any evidence whatsoever.

Reserve requirements and liquidity coverage are essentially the same thing.

In simplified terms, it is the amount of the funding you raise that you need to keep around the place to meet the requirements of depositors under certain (stressed) circumstances. APRA only set a specific number (min of 9% at item 57 of the paper) for some ADIs; for most of us the amount required is the output of the stress testing scenarios, so it varies by institution.

APRA have a good hard look at your liquidity management on an ongoing basis and if they don't like what they see can simply give you a number.

It's worth noting that liquidity coverage requirements (how much you have to have in liquid assets to pay people's deposits back on demand)) is not the same as capital requirements (the value of assets you must have that aren't owed to anybody that can absorb losses before said losses are met by your deposits).

To take a simplified example, if you wanted to start a bank, you'd need to raise capital in the first instance. So you get a bunch of investors to buy shares and now you have $10.

This is regulatory capital so you can't lend it.

In addition, because it is supposed to act as buffer to protect depositors (when you get some), there needs to be a relationship between how much of it you have and how much you can lend.

Because different uses of depositors funds are of different risk (for example, lending it to a business vs. sticking on deposit with another bank), the regulator says something like, " For ordinary lending, for every $10 you lend, you must have $1 in capital. We shall call this 100% risk weighted. However, certain loans are lower risk and we shall call these 50% risk weighted so you only need to hold $.50 in capital for every $10 lent. And if you simply put deposits on deposit with another bank, we shall call that 0% risk weighting and you need hold no capital against them".

You then raise a bunch of deposits, say $100.

But you can't lend all of that because you have liquidity ratios to meet (let's say 10%). So you put $10 aside to meet your liquidity requirements.

Well, that's OK, but what about your capital requirements. Well, if the $90 you want to lend is 100% risk weighted, you would need $9 in capital which we have (in addition to the $10 in liquidity we are holding back) so all good.

However, if we raised another $100 in deposits and put aside $10 for liquidity requirements, can we lend that?

We want to have $180 in loans out the door but we only have $10 in capital, not the $18 our friendly regulator wants us to have. Our $10 in capital only allows us to have $100 out the door in 100% risk weighted assets so we have to put the rest somewhere with no risk weighting (another ADI for example), go out and raise some more capital or reduce our on-balance sheet lending (which is why securitisation became to popular).

Not sure if this helps or muddies the waters ;)

As far as funding costs go, that's a whole other matter but the cost of lending is a function of the cost of raising money. The price you pay for deposits relative to the cash rate is vastly different than it was 5 years ago. As deposits become more desirable, the price goes up and that filters through to the cost of borrowings.

Not sure what to say but kudos to you ;)

Back