Apartments with only one lift is not good?

Hi all,

Wanted to get your view on med high rise apartments with only one lift. For example, you have a complex of 3 - 4 buildings and each one only had one lift or one lift on either side of the building to serve that side of the building only.

I find this to be horrible if for say someone was moving and took about 5 - 10 mins trying to get the bed in the lift and not considering that other maybe waiting for the lift to come. For a complex of 50 to 100 lots, yes it's very frequent that people move as well. At least with two lifts as a min, you have another one to jump into. I have come across so many 6 - 8 stories apartment blocks where the strata is like 900 + pq and it has one lift. You might as well get a place with two lifts or walk up in my opinion. I guess if you're investing and do not have any interest in moving in, then not really a problem for you. For a resident, I would find this to be a real problem.

I think having two lifts in a med rise building is a selling point.

I wonder if there is a general rule, I know if its above 4, you need one. If there a rule for above 8 for example?

having no lifts is the biggest selling point for me.

Lifts mean multiple similar properties which hurt when renting or selling as theres likely to be someone more desperate than you bringing the price down.

Lifts also add significantly to Body corporate costs.

As to having one or two, I reckon the savings of only having (the cost itself and the space saved to jam another couple of apartments in) one would compensate for any inconvenience of having to wait for the one lift, or dealing with it when it breaks down.

having no lifts is the biggest selling point for me.

Lifts mean multiple similar properties which hurt when renting or selling as theres likely to be someone more desperate than you bringing the price down.

Lifts also add significantly to Body corporate costs.

As to having one or two, I reckon the savings of only having (the cost itself and the space saved to jam another couple of apartments in) one would compensate for any inconvenience of having to wait for the one lift, or dealing with it when it breaks down.

I fell in love with this split level unit that was top floor, so you had to walk up three sets of stairs. Not an issue for me but maybe when I'm a lot older. However, the unit was part of a massive complex and the strata was 1500 pq. I sort of felt that even though I loved the unit, why the F am I paying 1500 pq when my block didn't have a lift or a garbage shoot when the others have one. It was because my total sqm was probably 25-30 sqm bigger than the average unit in the complex. In any case, I brought my parents along for a second opinion on a second inspection. They said the stairs are no good for two reasons, they were the narrow type ones where you would have to give way to someone, and if I was to start a family one day with a baby. I guess when your also holding a few bags of groceries, it could get painful.

Having only one lift has put me off several apartments.

I am not interested in any flat above first floor without 2 lifts. Even though I usually use the stairs. to my current 2nd floor flat.

The requirements for lifts are set out in the BCA. A developer does not put a lift into a building out of the goodness of their heart, they take up space. Likewise firestairs. If you want plenty of lifts, buy in a converted office building.

Back