However there are certain blocks in Perth which aren't large enough to subdivide in the traditional way but are large enough to do this strategy. They are the odd size blocks.

IF this is what Alex's BA is suggesting then it can be a sounds strategy.

For example, there might be a 500sqm R30 block out there. It can produce a 300sqm block and a 200sqm single dwelling block.
In a retain and build scenario it is trickier to find the block and retainable house but let's say it's an R20 750sqm block and the house takes up 450sqm the remaining 300sqm is not enough for a normal subdivision but you can build a single dwelling on it.

Yes but she keeps saying 2 bedroom so not sure what the plan actually is.

Also you might know Myf, can a single bedroom dwelling actually be subdivided off seperatly ie retain and build? I was under the impression that the density bonus was given to larger developments ie say a 5 unit subdivision on a 4lot block with 2 being single bedrooms with a 50% density bonus for council to provide different living options? And totally up to council to approve and the bonus they will give?

Maybe im way off.

Point me in the right direction for more info?

Cheers

Some councils will allow a second room (study etc) which can be used as a second bedroom. Some councils are super strict about it only containing one room which can be used as a bedroom.

This type of structure/dwelling can have its own title and I believe would increase the value - it's like a duplex and until stratad/subdivided it is merely 2 dwellings on one title.

It's totally different to an ancillary dwelling or granny flat. It is ideal to sell or rent to anyone that would like a small duplex or likes apartment living but wants a pet etc.

BUT as I said (and I think you are alluding to) there is no point doing this on a block which can be subdivided in the traditional way and a full size duplex put on it. It's about creating a second dwelling on something you can't duplex traditionally.

Single bedroom dwelling

A dwelling that contains a living room and no more than one other habitable room that is capable of use as a bedroom.

The other information in the R Codes is Part 5, page 38.

5.5.3 Single bedroom dwellings

P3 Alternative and affordable housing options for singles or couples where it can be demonstrated that the development:

reduces car dependence, i.e. is located in close proximity to public transport and convenience shopping;

does not impinge upon neighbour amenity; and

responds to a demand for single bedroom accommodation in the locality which is recognised in the local planning framework.
C3 Single bedroom dwellings shall comply with the following:

a maximum plot ratio area of 70m2;

open space and landscaping in accordance with the requirements of clause 5.1.4 and 5.3.2;

parking provided in accordance with clause 5.3.3 C3.1 and C3.2;

an outdoor living area in accordance with the requirements of

clause 5.3.1 but reducing the area required by Table 1 by one-third; and

comply with all other elements of Table 1 and Part 5 as relevant.

Some councils will allow a second room (study etc) which can be used as a second bedroom. Some councils are super strict about it only containing one room which can be used as a bedroom.

This type of structure/dwelling can have its own title and I believe would increase the value - it's like a duplex and until stratad/subdivided it is merely 2 dwellings on one title.

It's totally different to an ancillary dwelling or granny flat. It is ideal to sell or rent to anyone that would like a small duplex or likes apartment living but wants a pet etc.

BUT as I said (and I think you are alluding to) there is no point doing this on a block which can be subdivided in the traditional way and a full size duplex put on it. It's about creating a second dwelling on something you can't duplex traditionally.

The other information in the R Codes is Part 5, page 38.

5.5.3 Single bedroom dwellings

Yep this is the strategy. Thanks for explaining it! :) Yep, its not ancillary (granny flat build). Its a Single bed dwelling build. There will also be a study which can be used as a 2nd bedroom.

After I build the dwelling I can subdivide at some stage in the future so I can have the properties on seperate titles.

How much buffer do you have on top of your timetable? e.g. the unit doesn't rent out for a month. Or council applications or construction is delayed.

Good points and I have this all covered!

I'll have the cashflow and cash savings to afford to do this development.

I have been saving approx $1000 per month living with parents so I have $1000 excess cashflow that will help with holding costs.

I will also be selling my ip in October, so I shall have at least $60 k in cash savings after the sale. Good SANF there too.

I will also have a $20 k buffer line of credit.

I will need to cover the cost of the NG house for the 12 months whilst the unit is constructed and also the development cost, construction loan cost, other costs

No probs! :)

All sounds good - creating a dual income is a great strategy - even better if you can add value to the front house with a reno.

Are you going to project manage the development yourself?

Are you ready for 12+ months of extra stress in your life right now?

Are you sure you have the income and surplus cashflow to do a project like this?

What about instead just buying an old 2-bed villa with future renovation potential in a good suburb close to the CBD and walking distance to a train station?

Yes I don't mind the extra stress in life. I would be far more stressed out going through life not investing & worrying about how I'll support myself in retirement. All investments have risk, but its far riskier to do nothing in

Back