APN Perth (WAIP) Meeting FRIDAY July 16th

Chris and I are absolutely delighted to advise that our two guest speakers for the July meeting are none other than Brendan Kelly and Simon Buckingham from RESULTS mentoring.com

These guys are highly experienced investors in their own right as well as brilliant property coaches, so don't miss this opportunity to come and hear them and pick their brains!

This is the first time we have been able to have Brendan and Simon come over from Melbourne to present to our networking group.

Brendan is a mindset guru so he will be talking to us about what it takes to be a successful investor and some useful strategies to help us along the way. He loves to teach and can provide you the clarity you need to help you learn how to become a more sophisticated and successful property investor.
Simon is a Kiwi (no sheep jokes please!) and loves commercial properties. His presentation will include what to look out for when investing in commercial property, the main differences between commercial and residential investing, a simple way to work out how to calculate rental yields and what determines the value of your commercial property.

You can't afford to miss your chance to hear these experienced presenters.

And, as an added incentive because we realise the meeting is on a Friday night, we will be providing a light supper. So you get fed in addition to hearing all the great material that will be covered. How good is that?
And all for $20.
Don't delay, RSVP TODAY to [email protected] to secure your seat.

Seats are limited! If you are not registered to attend we can't feed you. Sorry!

Meeting Details

Venue: Innovation Centre
Enterprise 3,
9, De Laeter Way,
Bentley

Time: 6.15 registration for 6.45pm start

Cost: $20 per person $35 for couples

Tea/coffee and light supper provided.

Don't forget to bring pen, paper, your business card for the door prize and lots of questions.

Another excellent night, thanks Jenny and Chris and everyone else who attended!

I think I made the right decision to forgo my free movie tickets and come along!

Agreed - top night....(although the 'light supper' was hoovered up in record time). It'll have to be elbows out and snouts in the trough next time.

My word - wasn't Brendan a passionate and excitable property investor. Mindset alright. Liked his plank theory - but it only applied to workers, so not much relevance for the investor....could be extrapolated I suppose - for another day no doubt.

Simon did a good job I suppose of explaining the basics of commercial property. There was a lot of people with their pens and paper at the ready. Unfortunately, not a lot of case studies were presented. People may not fully grasp the entire nitty gritty, but they latch on pretty quick, and quickly tire of basic maths and lurch straight into the really techy questions.

His one example of sealing off an external door by putting a couple of deadbolts across it for the cost of $ 70.00 and thereby charging Tenants extra rent for the created exclusive stroage space, showed he hasn't quite matured as a Landlord, as he paid the $ 70.00 himself rather than making the Tenants pay for it. :p

A top way to spend a Friday night. Good to see so many SS posters there.

Liked his plank theory - but it only applied to workers, so not much relevance for the investor....could be extrapolated I suppose - for another day no doubt.
I related his plank theory to stuff like - Why renovate for profit if you hate renovating? Renovate for profit if you love renovating! Why invest in something that's going to give you 4% yield, when you can invest in something that will give you 8% yield. Why buy a house for $400,000 that you hate, spend $100,000 renovating it, when you can buy a house you love for $450,000.

I made the mistake of going to the toilet before I ate, will know better next time. :D

Why buy a house for $400,000 that you hate, spend $100,000 renovating it, when you can buy a house you love for $450,000.

wouldn't a house that cost $400k and had $100k of reno on it be then worth about $600k? which should be a lot more loveable than a $450k house

Not necesserily. A friend of mine purchased a property For $300,000 7 yrs ago at the same time I did. I live about 1-2 k's further out then her. My home was fully reno'd by a couple who did it as a hobby, and was a wee bit cheaper. Her home, she bought to do up, just like the previous couple of properties she bought, but sold cheap because it got too much. She's spent heaps on reno's on her current house. It's half finished, they've done a lot of work themselves and sick of it. It's currently worth about $450,000 + blood, sweat and tears. If she was to finish it, it would probably be worth about $550,000. Ours is worth about $500,000 and done nothing. I bought her along to the meeting, she sat there saying, "That's us, pushing the plank up the hard way" I think some people truely believe they need to suffer to get ahead, when they don't.

Actually, I was looking in the same area as my friend, before I even new her, only streets away. I was seeing brown window frames, 80's tiles, round arches. It made me think back to sitting around the lunch table with the boss and other older workers when I was 24. I was flicking through a magazine with the latest house trends. When I told one of the guys I wanted to do up a house he laughed, and said, "I've been there, done that, the next house I bought was exactly what I was after; why buy something you don't like and spend time and money changing it". Too late, I'd already commited to a house that was almost demolish material.

My next job. Same sort of comments in the lunch room from a young developer. "Don't buy an old house, it's like buying an old car".

It's funny how the old lunch room conversations seem to stick with you.

It's funny how the old lunch room conversations seem to stick with you.

Yes they do. I remember sitting in the crib room at work reading "More Money" by Noel Whittaker back in '94. We'd get a good 20 or 25 minutes, and so you could really get into it.

The other lads would bring along a People magazine or a Penthouse or something and all you'd ever hear was "corr - look at that". This is in outback Roma Qld where everything is all a bit feral anyways.

One of the labourer guys who didn't finish grade 8 and severely disliked all engineers one day said "oi - what cr@p are youse readin' ?" When I showed him, he said "fat lotta good that'll do ya. Mate, in 10 years time your ar$e'll be still here with all of us - grindin' away for the man, mark my words."

That book, along with his inspirationally negative challenge, spurned me along.

I bet he's still out there moaning and bleating about how tough life is

Yes they do. I remember sitting in the crib room at work reading "More Money" by Noel Whittaker back in '94. We'd get a good 20 or 25 minutes, and so you could really get into it.

The other lads would bring along a People magazine or a Penthouse or something and all you'd ever hear was "corr - look at that". This is in outback Roma Qld where everything is all a bit feral anyways.

One of the labourer guys who didn't finish grade 8 and severely disliked all engineers one day said "oi - what cr@p are youse readin' ?" When I showed him, he said "fat lotta good that'll do ya. Mate, in 10 years time your ar$e'll be still here with all of us - grindin' away for the man, mark my words."

That book, along with his inspirationally negative challenge, spurned me along.

I bet he's still out there moaning and bleating about how tough life is

love it - blue collar powa! unions all the way!

how does this reconcile to the previous presentation re renovation? not converted? MTR seems to be really into it

I think you could do alright with it. I've started to research what sells quickly and what doesn't and spoken to one agent for some feedback on adding value and been to a few home opens.

I think you could do alright with it. I've started to research what sells quickly and what doesn't and spoken to one agent for some feedback on adding value and been to a few home opens.

OK - will chat with you soon and see where you are at with everything. my new job is pretty demanding (but am enjoying it) so my head was way too fried for last friday night

OK - will chat with you soon and see where you are at with everything. my new job is pretty demanding (but am enjoying it) so my head was way too fried for last friday night

I'm waiting on a quote from Ventura - I guess I should have it in another week, Also considering transportables. It would be great to bounce some idea's off you when you're not so busy. I think I need to focus on one project at a time! Glad you like your new job.

Back