Apparently I'm considered "Rich" or "Loaded"...

Got a new PM a couple of months ago (28 y.o) who manages my 3 IPs (units) and been calling me "Rich" and "You're Rich".

I have a house as well, so 4 properties in total. Now I don't own them the properties outright and have loans against each one. I work in an office with 20-something girls and who know I have 4 properties (bloody curious bunch) and all have said the same thing "you're rich"

I brought up this with my 3 pool (table) mates last night at a bar, and said the girls think I'm rich, etc etc. and they all go "Yep, you're loaded!" - WTF!!

I'm not egotistic and quite humble, modest and grateful for what I've achieved thus far - I'm 38, a bachelor, but never considered myself "rich" and it occurred to me that how people have a totally different perspective to me. Rich to me is like having $3m in property, or if I owned all 4 properties outright, I'd consider myself doing pretty well for myself at my age.

Sure, I guess if you're 23 and own no properties, and here's this guy who's 38 who has 4 properties, well, you probably think "you're rich". With my 3 mates, without bragging, I'd kinda thought recently, that they probably perceive me as the "rich one" even though that comment is not how I view myself. I grew up real poor and never had "Rich friends", so never got that "concept/way of life". Apparently I'm rich, as perceived by my friends and work colleagues...maybe I should change my view of myself...whilst still remaining true to myself and humble

tell them you have a feral tenant that isn't paying rent and you are too broke to buy the next round and they will soon get the picture

You work in an office with 20 young ladies?!?

Get a flashy car,if you haven't already, some tailored garbs, strong after shave and start spreading the news about your ten, yes ten, IPs.

Those lovely ladies are yours for the taking lol.

You work in an office with 20 young ladies?!?

Get a flashy car,if you haven't already, some tailored garbs, strong after shave and start spreading the news about your ten, yes ten, IPs.

Those lovely ladies are yours for the taking lol.

Lol..my thoughts as well...
The op is in prime position here...

. Got a new PM a couple of months ago (28 y.o) who manages my 3 IPs (units) and been calling me "Rich" and "You're Rich".

Regardless of what your workmates and friends might say.( you are always gonna get haters) .. I think the above quote is not acceptable language from a PM ( no matter what age) Have a chat to the principle of the agency.

Oh no Moyj
That is harsh "haters" really..?. It's just an observation which is meaningess in the big picture

Most important thing is to stay grounded, that is easy check your bank statements each month, that is your 80% partner, and don't forget it.

Mtr

I work in an office with 20-something girls

Calm down people... He works in on office with girls aged between 20 and 30, could be 2 could be 5 could be 20. Quite sure he does not work in a harem :cool:

Well, you mentioned the word "girls" which is obviously a great source of excitement for some on this forum who are now working themselves into an absolute frenzy trying to think of any vaguely amusing (or not) comment that their brains can muster that involves "girls". Not sure if there's any hope for your thread, perhaps try to re-write it using the term colleagues or something....

Oh no Moyj
That is harsh "haters" really..?. It's just an observation which is meaningess in the big picture

Most important thing is to stay grounded, that is easy check your bank statements each month, that is your 80% partner, and don't forget it.

Mtr

:) "haters" does seem to be the new vernacular for jealousy. My meaning is to not let distractors deter you from your wealth plan.

There's an easy way to shut them up if they all think you're rich or bragging (even if you're not). You say sure I have 4 million in property...but ONE MILLION DOLLARS of that is in DEBT. The stupid ones then go from being jealous to looking at you like you're a moron. $1m in debt, pffft, this joker is going to go bankrupt soon enough!

Beachy, I can't stop thinking about your office full of collegues. Can you keep updating this thread. Some pictures would be nice also. No, I'm not some sicko. Just interested on how the perception of wealth can provide.......anyway don't forget pictures.

Reactions: NPB
Regardless of what your workmates and friends might say.( you are always gonna get haters) .. I think the above quote is not acceptable language from a PM ( no matter what age) Have a chat to the principle of the agency.

agree with this .

I'd be probably be to stunned to think of a smart response .

Things that spring to mind after a moments thought

The titles might be in name , but the banks have the mortgages.

Or

yep , and I worked bloody hard to get there , and I don't intend to give any away by spending on unnecessary repairs like repairing that broken toilet seat when I'm thinking of buying another ferrari ( I don't have one ...:rolleyes:)

or maybe even

So , you've just started doing this kind of work ?

or

I'd just look at him for a of couple of seconds , turn and walk away with a slight shake of my head .

or

what I'd be thinking , but wouldn't say is
any other judgements you'd like to make on the people who are responsible for you having a job

Any other suggestions ?

BTW I agree re the workplace suggestions

Cliff

Not gay (not that there's anything wrong with that)

All the 20-25 y.o. girls have BF's and not really into the young girly thing anyway - a bit too immature for my liking.

I think the PM wants to date me, but not interested in going down that track (she grew up in well-to-do so-called "rich" family), and now it's not like that for her at 28, split up with BF who fathered her 18month old son, so wants some kind of rich BF...again not my thing going down that track.

About 5 years ago when I worked elsewhere - my manager who was 1 year older than me had a $1m house (paid off) and I asked him if his mates treated him differently now than when they knew him 5-10 years earlier - he said his "real" friends didn't care, but a lot of the other friends perceived him differently - like "wow, you own this big house", etc. even though this guy and his wife lived fairly modestly in life (their 1 indulgence was a "nice" house)

I just thought it was "interesting" to see how others viewed myself...I never thought of myself as "rich" or "loaded", but I guess I am, as measured by others. Only got about $1m in assets...Horses for courses

I'm grateful for what I've got and achieved...and I've worked bloody hard to get where I'm at, I've made sacrifices like many others who are on their way to financial freedom...

I think this property financial path is sometimes best kept secret (like someone else said before) or otherwise shared in the company of other like-minded individuals (ie: SS), as others just can't relate or don't want to follow the same route. Each to their own...

Back