approching tenants re buying Ip

My agents in the past have mentioned that my tenants love the house and at some time may wish to buy it.

I was not thinking about selling but this could be a smooth transaction no real estate fees etc.... my issues are

1. did the tenants really say this
2. if they did not would not want to scare them out of there lease and be left with no rent comming in
3. do not want to approch them through my agent, best way to contact them

anyone any thoughts ?

Many Thanks
MArtin

Why not send them a note along the lines of -

"We have no plans to sell the house in the foreseeable future, but should you ever entertain the thought that you might be interested in buying it, we would be happy to discuss it with you. You could contact us directly on 5555 5555."

If they are interested, they will file that phone number away for when they want to discuss it.

You will find that many (most, I'd venture ;)) PM agreements include in them a clause that if a tenant that they introduce to the property (ie find for you) goes on to purchase it, even after the tenancy has ended, that you agree to pay them a sales commission, so selling to your tenant probably won't avoid commission.

You will find that many (most, I'd venture ;)) PM agreements include in them a clause that if a tenant that they introduce to the property (ie find for you) goes on to purchase it, even after the tenancy has ended, that you agree to pay them a sales commission, so selling to your tenant probably won't avoid commission.

I recently took it upon myself to call our tenants near the end of their lease to find out if they were staying on or not - and ask if they were interested in purchasing the property. It was the first time I had contacted them. To my surprise, they told me that they were looking for a place to buy and had mentioned to the PM to ask if we were interested in selling! The PM obviously took no action. 2 weeks later we had a private sale stitched up with no agent fees. I saw no mention of anything in the PM agreement about claims of sales commissions in the event of the tenant purchasing the IP. It was a standard PRD Nationwide PM contract. PRD obviously became fully aware of the sale and made no comment or claim about the purchase. :)

Back