approximate build costs

Hi everyone

I know this is a how long is a piece of string question

But I'm looking at a few blocks of land or land with derilect houses to build some town houses for my first shot at development

I'm looking at Newcastle and it's surrounds

Just a couple of newbie questions

Why would anyone build duplexes when the costs of townhouses are roughly the same
is there a rough price per sqm for a entry level build? Have been quoted anywhere from 1000-1300 per sqm

I'm looking at blocks around the 600 to 800 sqm to put two or three

Is it better to go two story if council allows since I the land used will be far less?

I've been told to allow $1200 sqm for low end builds and $1500 sqm for high end stuff. Not sure if this includes builder's margins.

Hi everyone

I know this is a how long is a piece of string question

But I'm looking at a few blocks of land or land with derilect houses to build some town houses for my first shot at development

I'm looking at Newcastle and it's surrounds

Just a couple of newbie questions

Why would anyone build duplexes when the costs of townhouses are roughly the same
is there a rough price per sqm for a entry level build? Have been quoted anywhere from 1000-1300 per sqm

I'm looking at blocks around the 600 to 800 sqm to put two or three

Is it better to go two story if council allows since I the land used will be far less?

The build cost for single storey will be quite a bit less than 2 storey. It depends on the development density allowed on the sites that you are looking at. Don't build two storey to end up with more land around the townhouses. Only do it if the numbers stack up ok and it allows you to put more townhouses on. The $1,000 - $1,300 sounds reasonable for single storey. 2 storey are likely to be in the $1400-$1500 range turnkey.

Typically you would do single storey, only on larger blocks of land that have a lower density allowance, probably around the range of 300-400sqm per unit.

The build cost for single storey will be quite a bit less than 2 storey.

as in cost for single story 200sqm<<<say double story at 100sqmx2 floors?

It depends on the development density allowed on the sites that you are looking at.

of course, if you had a block of say 800sqm, if council allows, wouldnt you put 3x2storys on there instead of 2 x single stories????

Don't build two storey to end up with more land around the townhouses.
wouldnt you try and fit more dwellings on the land? ie a 2story one with decent backyard is >>>> single story with no back yard?

as in cost for single story 200sqm<<<say double story at 100sqmx2 floors?

of course, if you had a block of say 800sqm, if council allows, wouldnt you put 3x2storys on there instead of 2 x single stories????

wouldnt you try and fit more dwellings on the land? ie a 2story one with decent backyard is >>>> single story with no back yard?

1. Yes, the cost per sqm is higher for 2 storey. Also note that double storey plans are often less efficient, due to the stair well.
2. Yes you would normally do 3 x 2 storey instead of 2 x single storey. My point was that you wouldn't normally build 2 x 2 storey just to have more land around each property.
3. It often wouldn't make enough of a difference in sales value to do 2 storey, with a larger land component, for the additional cost of construction. It will generally make sense to do this to get a higher number of dwellings on the block though.

It could sometimes also make sense to be able to get 2 x 4 beds that are 2 storey, rather than 2 x 2 beds that are single storey, depending on the demand in the area, sales values and construction costs.

thanks everyone,
if say I was going for 600-650sqm block for example

and wanted to put 2 dwellings or as many as possible,

would my assumption of putting 2 single story townhouses be the most likely better way?

I have a 4bdr medium sized home on a block of 650sqm as an IP, and that floor space is apporx 90sqm,

so would I be building say a 3bdr : 90sqm x 2 ie $1300X90sqmx2=$234,000 to build both???

seems rather cheap,

sorry im a complete newbie in development

Back