Architect vs Drafty

Hello all

I am just starting my first duplex development and have met with a number of builders to discuss possible designs and costs. My 825m2 block has a 26m wide frontage but only a 8m rear boundary - this poses some challenges for the design. 50% of the builders' drafties I have met with have told me that I can build either front and back or side by side, with the other 50% saying I can only build front and back.

To break the deadlock I'm considering consulting with an architect to provide some concept drawings before proceeding to CAD drawings, then approaching builders for a quote. This of course will come at a cost.

I would be interested in any advice and anyone's experience in working with an architect. I'm conscious of keeping to my budget and want to avoid unnecessary costs - Should I save my money or will engaging an architect save me money on the build and/or result in a better/sale price?

Your thoughts would be appreciated.

Cheers

The block is zoned R25 so I will be able to get 2 lots. The immediate question is whether I sub divide the block as a battle axe or down the middle. My preference is for side by side but given the shape of the block, this will be a challenge - hence my consideration of using an architect in the hope he/she will be able to come up with a design that will maximize the use of the lots, which in the long run will lead to greater profits (at least that's the hope!!).

Cheers.

Hey Kirrah,
I would question why you wasted time meeting with builders before an architect/draftsmen? How can they really assist if they don't know what they are building?
Sure some may have an idea but a lot of builders follow plans they are given by someone who specializes in doing that. Given the complexity of your block I would 100% go to an architect/draftsmen before anyone else, you will recoup any costs very quickly by a smart design and far greater understanding of that specific council. These people specialize in maxamising land use and if you work with one who knows the local council then firstly they will likely have a rapport to push things through faster and they understand what that council wants.

Attempting to penny save I can almost guarantee will cost you far more in holding costs as the process will be delayed, end value as the land use will not be fully maxamised and stress!
Take this from someone with experience in "doing it myself" to save money.

Hi Kirrah,

I'd ask what you intend to do with the properties after you have built? Keep them, sell both, keep one - as your plan moving forward (how are you going to profit from this investment) is going to influence all the other decisions.

cheers

Most of the bog standard builders won't like a block that isn't rectangle as they can't easily plop one of their designs on it.

I see no reason why side by side isn't doable, unless you have a terrible easement running along it.

Either talk to a development company - VenturaID, Integrity Developments, Promenade Construction, Inspired Homes or engage a development draftsperson to do up a design for you - Aaron Sice, Mile Nasteski or many others who have been recommended on here - my brain has come up blank for anymore.

How much is your budget for the whole development?

Consider going to archicentre or its WA equivalent to get some concept designs by an artichoke then get a dafty to flesh it out to DA and tender stage.

Back