Are 1 Bedroom units worth investing in?

We had a 1 br with courtyard in Ultimo, bought for $278k in 2007 and sold for $420k in 2012. Someone else can do the maths, but I think that's around 9-10% CG pa. Not mind blowing, but solid.

Excellent Luce.

Now Brocky (love that name BTW)

I currently own a 1 bedda in Sydney's south west and its doubled in value. Never had probs finding a tenant. No probs getting finance either (it's a very generous size unit).

I'd forget about service aparts, retirement aparts etc. That's my opinion.

A "normal" one bedda is slightly cheaper than its cousin, the 2 bedda. But it's still gonna show heaps of CG. It's not like ...whao....it's a one bedda, therefore no CG for you Sonny Jim...that's fiddle sticks.

As others have said retirement units I wouldn't even consider. I bought 2 1 bedroom units in Sydney 3 years ago. Both have almost doubled in value rents gone up 70% since purchase. Never had a problem renting them and to be honest I always found them much easier to negotiate a good price on. They come with a stigma but as long as its a good location and the numbers add up than you will be right :)

Foundation property/ies (to get you CG properties), moving onto CG properties (to get you deposits for cashflow properties), cashflow properties to get you the cashflow you desire (to get into any property/investment you desire).

pinkboy

loving your response Pinkboy. I have slowly learnt this through experience, but geez I wish this simplified explanation was provided to me few years ago. Trouble with me (and maybe a lot of young inexperienced investors) is the lack of confidence to take on risks and options. I've purchased a few in the last few years and they are doing well, but deposit for each were from savings - a lesson I need to learn better.

Definitely all about the location. 1 bed unit in a small country town could be a disaster, but one that has a view over the bridge and opera house in Sydney could be a goldmine especially for short term holiday rentals.

I bought one around the corner from where I live in Marrickville in November 2013. I'm pretty sure if I put it on the market today it would fetch about $70K more than I paid for it. But that's the Sydney market in the last couple of years for you. It's a 52sqm one bedder, too, so a good size.

Back