Are Australian property prices going to crash?

can't be to sure the property markets going to crash now can we :p

nah you've got it backwards James. You should be offering to buy houses at today's market value, especially in regional towns, no matter their rental yield.....cos you're 110% sure values will steadily move up.

Property is the only "game" I've heard of where losing by <40% is a win. According to you guys the Cowboys won last Sat night.

Let's get real and talk about what IS the cut off point where the investment no longer works. I'm pretty sure it will be more'n a little better than that.

Property is the only "game" I've heard of where losing by <40% is a win. According to you guys the Cowboys won last Sat night.

Let's get real and talk about what IS the cut off point where the investment no longer works. I'm pretty sure it will be more'n a little better than that.

It's all about the intrinsic value, sunfish, you just can't see it..

sorry couldn't resist ;)

It's all about the intrinsic value, ;)

Thats the catch i believe exactly that.
For property and shares and anyother type of investment.

Not just that, but the key first determinant is whether, when it boils down to the basic essence, is one an investor a trader. This is more important than determination of intrinsic value.

But i have said my piece. I have no intention of being accussed of hijacking any additional threads. My philosophy has been stated, my reasons stated and my warnings noted.

And in due course, when the time is right, dont worry i will refer back the before said threads.:D

hard to know because if you are covering losses with expectations of growth and debt deflation then you need to take a view on those variables.

there are investments where the yield is reflective of the asset value as is, not what may (or may not) happen. Amazing huh? i am seeing businesses that have a less than 12 month payback on their assets - it's a different mindset.

so anyway it comes down to 2 schools of thoughts...

1) it won't be different this time, the man with the big hat is right and properties will double every 7-10 years

OR

2) massive credit availability and one off factors have probably elevated super growth as much as can be, so don't bank on anything exceptional going forward.

so anyway it comes down to 2 schools of thoughts...

1) it won't be different this time, the man with the big hat is right and properties will double every 7-10 years

OR

2) massive credit availability and one off factors have probably elevated super growth as much as can be, so don't bank on anything exceptional going forward.
You miss my point: If property only doubles every 10 years then cap gains are totally negated by the interest on OPM so gains are limited to the net rental return and cap gains on your own equity.

Without the tax break you wouldn't touch it, and I don't have any use for a tax lurk.

You miss my point: If property only doubles every 10 years then cap gains are totally negated by the interest on OPM so gains are limited to the net rental return and cap gains on your own equity.

Without the tax break you wouldn't touch it, and I don't have any use for a tax lurk.

ok, that's a harder line than myself (because of our diff of opinion re debt deflation). you are presumably talking about vanilla flavoured resi IPs... a comm property returning 12% must be a different kettle of fish?That's the problem with these debates: you don't know what yield I am getting - and there must be a level of yield at which that changes from one to the other

I am confused by this, and I freely point out that maths is NOT my forte :).

If I buy a house for $400K and it doubles in ten years, my interest bill each year at 8% is $32K. (I know there are other costs, but let's keep this simple.)

The rent may be $18K ($350 per week) so it has cost me $14K per year to hold. Let's also ignore that rents will rise while the interest will fluctuate also.

So after ten years at $14K per year I have contributed $140K to holding this house. If it has now doubled to $800K then the gains have not been "totally negated by the interest on OPM" because the rent has been coming in.

Or am I missing something?

If I buy a house for $400K and it doubles in ten years, my interest bill each year at 8% is $32K. (I know there are other costs, but let's keep this simple.)

Very simple. Rule of 72 says that if an asset doubles in value every 10 years you get a 7.2% compounded return. If you are paying 8% on your loan all you have is a tax loss. And we know "median" prices increase as renos are done and bigger better houses are built. Will the "median" house you buy still be "median" if you don't spend $20k on it in repairs and extensions in 10 years?

And yes Ausprop, I was talking vanilla flavoured resi as that's what the vast majority of this site, and Jan's book is devoted to.

So after ten years at $14K per year I have contributed $140K to holding this house. If it has now doubled to $800K then the gains have not been "totally negated by the interest on OPM" because the rent has been coming in.

This bit is what I don't understand. The interest cost doesn't come anywhere near the gain made over that ten years.

The interest is $32k/y or $320 in 10 years. So you make $80k but the curve would only cross out of the red into the black a couple of years earlier. If circumstances change and you had to sell in 5 yrs, cap gains would not have covered interest costs.

But let's go back to what I said: Property is the only "game" I've heard of where losing by <40% is a win. We are debating how much (or how little) investors make with a 7.2% annualised gain while you seem to be taking great comfort in deriding Keen, as if losing <40% is all that matters.

I an trying to make the point that simply range trading for ten years will push most investor's patience to breaking point. You guys may be so good that it wont worry you but others will be selling around you preventing any useful rises. You are clinging to "yesterday's" good idea refusing to look objectively before committing to large borrowings. There is always risk to large borrowings and I doubt the reward is adequate.

But I can't debate everyone so I'll finish on this thread. Bye.

This bit is what I don't understand. The interest cost doesn't come anywhere near the gain made over that ten years.

I agree with you. My first IP was a crap buy and it costs me about $70 per week to hold or $3,640 per year or a total of $36,400 after 10 Years. ( assuming interest and rent stays the same)

If my property doubled( Big maybe i know) i would be looking at $300,000 equity gain in ten years.

$36,400 in for a $300,000 return. twist the numbers all you like this is not bad. Please tell me how this could be bad without using smoke and mirrors.

Maths is maths and numbers are numbers, so let me try perhaps?

Gearing = 80%

Cost of Debt / Asset (ie real interest rate) = 6.4% (assuming 8% interest rates... for those confused, it's 80% x 8%)
Rent / Asset (ie gross yield) = 5.0%
Holding Costs = 2/0% (just making it up)

Therefore:
Net Return / (Loss) = 5.0% - 6.4% - 2.0% = (3.4%)

Depending on your salary (take me for example, I'm on a 45% tax bracket), net loss after tax savings is (3.4%) x .55 = (1.9%)

Assuming property doubles every 20 years, cap rate is 3.52% pa compounded. 3.52% - 1.90% pa = 1.4% return on asset pa

However, remember 2 things:

a) We geared at 80%, therefore return on equity pa is 7%

b) The 1.4% gain in first year can be used to amortise our senior debt (ie bank loan), so therefore the cost of debt in the second year should be 6.3%.... however if you were to do it properly with time-value of money you'd have to amortise it on a monthly basis so it might even fall below 6.3%. In the third year it should be 6.22%. I cbf doing it all because if you don't get it then too bad... and you might as well not bother to read this post

Anyway my example demonstrates at 8% interest rates, 80% gearing, 5% yield (which some of you probably aren't getting) and a crap market for the next 20 years (ie takes 20 years to double your property value), your return of 7% is only slightly better than putting your money in the bank. But your risk is a lot higher (eg vacancies?, storm strikes your house?). Oh and you need to have a 45% marginal tax rate. If you're an ordinary person with 30% tax rate, it's even worse and you might as well put your money in ANZ term deposit.

Maths is maths and there's no smokes or mirrors. Of course if you twig my assumptions and went for doubling every 7 years (ie 10% growth pa), 8% yields, 8% interest rates, 2% holding costs, your return on equity is nearly 50% return pa and you beat putting money into the bank by some 8x.

As with some earlier discussions I had, what's your assumptions? If you're assuming 7% interest rates and doubling every 7 years, you're probably too optismitic? But if you're using doubling every 25 years, is that too pessimistic? I don't like to overshoot but it's good to know what you're up for if shyt hits the fan. And markets crash because 95% of people who buy into it actually don't know what they could be up for and I think that's the essence of Sunfish's post. Do you know? The reason people make money on the market is because there're fools out there, but that's the same reason people lose money. I like to think I know what I'm doing, but it's the fools who have no idea who will bring the market along with me down.

Oh but luckily there's considerable buffer before something crashes. If you don't make money, you just start bleeding money. As long as you're earning $40k + you can probably afford to bleed $15-20k a year and still not crash the market, provided you live within the not very high means you'll be left with.

I'll side with you on this one Wylie. 7.2% cg sustained over 10 years is strong growth, especially when the RBA try to contain cpi to 2-4%.....of course, the double every 10 years thing doesn't consider that.

Interest costs do not compound, capital gain does....as do rent and holding costs....so if initial gross rental yield is a reasonable margin above holding cost, and not too far below interest rate, then cash flows will turn positive that much sooner.

Good post. And i agree. You should have a window showing a bad outcome and a great outcome. Allow for the good and bad but expect something in the middle. I myself am looking at a 20 year investing window minimum so huge fast returns are not needed. Great if they happen but not needed.

I think we have to be honest about the some of the people that invest in property. if you are a gun investor then you sharpen your pencil and would pass on the majority of properties on offer.

But if you are an average person that would like to dabble in investing. Then buying a property that costs you a couple of slabs a beer per week to hold will be ok. lets be honest that money will probably be blown on other things anyway.

Im talking bare raw numbers here. You will do ok. If you want to improve things from here well the story can go many directions.

Cheers

Oh and you need to have a 45% marginal tax rate. If you're an ordinary person with 30% tax rate, it's even worse and you might as well put your money in ANZ term deposit.

I don't think we have ever been on a 45% tax rate, but have always used negative gearing because that is the only way we could buy in our preferred area, which also has had (perhaps) better than "average" growth.

As with some earlier discussions I had, what's your assumptions?

I am in the camp that good property will double every ten years, give or take a few years. It has been doing that since my first property purchase over 30 years ago. I realise it might not continue into the future, but nobody knows what will happen in the future.

And markets crash because 95% of people who buy into it actually don't know what they could be up for and I think that's the essence of Sunfish's post. Do you know?

I've been doing this caper for over 30 years. I think I DO know what I could be up for :).

I've been doing this caper for over 30 years. I think I DO know what I could be up for :).

Keep this chart in mind when contemplating the future Wylie, especially the Household savings ratio. I think a good case can be made to use HSR as a proxy for unused household debt serviceability. Note it has been declining since the 70s. There's not a lot of room for household debt to expand faster than wage growth, and wage growth ain't likely to be 7.2% pa anytime soon.

Household%20Ratios.gif

Back