Are curtains back in

HI I have noticed in some of the magazines that curtains are shown.

Are they making a come back. I need to fix up some windows, and should I use curtains or blinds.

I think things are changing. I havent been on the planet long enough to notice a complete return of older fashions as many may have:(

Things like timber venetians,timber floor boards etc will give way to tiles and curtains etc. people get bored i guess and want something a little different.
I am really tired of stencil concrete driveways at the moment. Every single house has it and it ages quickly . Give me plain concrete anyday. At the moment that is.

Are they making a come back. I need to fix up some windows, and should I use curtains or blinds.

It is a personal choice nowadays. Because I am asthmatic and dust accumulates in curtains I only have curtains and blinds in the bedroom for a extra insulation and we prefer a dark bedroom when sleeping. For our IP our PM advised if we do not want to provide blinds we need to provide a curtain (block out or lined) at least and if we have blinds we need to provide a net curtain for privacy.

These curtains are in two of my rental houses,
It would cost you a fortune here in Australia,about $5000 a room I believe.
(Insurance replacement value $30,000 per house)

I can get these made and freighted to Australia for similar costs as blinds:D

Attachments

• b  ed 1 (2).jpg
    b ed 1 (2).jpg
    22.2 KB · Views: 128
  • main bedroom lace.jpg
    main bedroom lace.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 126

So do you know for sure that your insurance co will give you $30,000 without a receipt for same?

I don't think curtains ever really went out of fashion especially the drawstring type with sun blockout for bedrooms. I notice some curtains now have rings that you can open/close by hand across a rail.

I guess it depends on the type of window you're trying to cover and if it's a bedroom or living area and if it slides open or swings out. Vertical blinds are probably more suited for floor to ceiling type windows that don't need to be opened often. Venetians look good on most windows and i've noticed those roller type blinds seem to be in vogue at the moment.

No offense mate but they are hideously ugly looking curtains and i wouldn't put them up if i was given them for free. Surely if you were going to spend $5000 a room you would choose something that looked good :confused: That type of style and colour seems too polarising for a rental.

Last edited:
No offense mate but they are hideously ugly looking curtains and i wouldn't put them up if i was given them for free. Surely if you were going to spend $5000 a room you would choose something that looked good :confused:

I feel the same. Don't those triangles remind one of sharks teeth? Sweet dreams ;)

Two opinions against are likely to indicate that would-be tenants would be similarly divided, and a more neutral colour would be more universally liked (or at least not loathed). Also the curtains do not go with the feature wall at all.

Though I'm not sure whether the red feature wall is worthwhile (red is not known to be a restful colour). Especially in a room that tries to be restful (ie the bedroom) and positioned to face the sleeper. Although when the lights are out it won't matter ;)

If you were going to have a feature wall, maybe the one opposite the door where the bed is against might be better?

These curtains are an exampe where something that's cheap and neutral would beat something expensive and baroque, at least in a renter. Though I can see the curtains working if the walls were (say) a fawn colour, and the bedspread and furniture either cream or chocolate colour.

Surely if you were going to spend $5000 a room you would choose something that looked good :confused:.

Did I say I paid $5000 per room,please read what I said before you insult someone.It makes you look stupid.:mad:

This is not about debating a color,it is a sample of curtains that I chose to share with you.

Take it or leave it,but please don't insult unless you post your own curtains on here for us to look at:D

Last edited:
Fashions change

I've always thought that fashions in decorating change, along with clothes. Nothing lasts forever these days, and this is what helps the retailers stay in business.

When I was a kid we moved into a new house, and Mum put venetians in every room. Gosh! Remember those old plastic ones? They sure collected dust, but allowed light and breeze to be filtered. Then came the curtains...those filmy ones that wafted in the breeze. And the old lace ones...yes they collected dust too.

Then a few years ago the venetians came back with a wooden vengence.
So where are we now?

Well, I just put the ones with the ring tops in my rentals. The tenants wreck them within a couple of years, and they are less expensive to replace, easy for me to install, and they look neat and tidy.

Did I say I paid $5000 per room,please read what I said before you insult someone.It makes you look stupid.:mad:

This is not about debating a color,it is a sample of curtains that I chose to share with you.

Take it or leave it,but please don't insult unless you post your own curtains on here for us to look at:D

Relax mate, i wasn't insulting you but i can see how you've misinterpreted what i said which was Surely if you were going to spend $5000 a room you would choose something that looked good.

When i said "you" i didn't literally mean you because i know that you can get them made and freighted to Australia for similar costs as blinds :D

I meant "you" in the general sense as i was referring to your statement that it would cost you a fortune here in Australia,about $5000 a room I believe. I really doubt someone would choose that style or colour if they had a budget of $5000 a room especially for a rental.

I don't have photos of my curtains with me so can't share at the moment :D

Relax mate, i wasn't insulting you but i can see how you've misinterpreted what i said which was Surely if you were going to spend $5000 a room you would choose something that looked good.

When i said "you" i didn't literally mean you because i know that you can get them made and freighted to Australia for similar costs as blinds :D

I meant "you" in the general sense as i was referring to your statement that it would cost you a fortune here in Australia,about $5000 a room I believe. I really doubt someone would choose that style or colour if they had a budget of $5000 a room especially for a rental.

I don't have photos of my curtains with me so can't share at the moment :D

All is forgiven shuggy,
I agree,these aren't all peoples tastes.
These are designed and made for holiday houses,
The designs come from Saudi Arabia,and you will only see them on palace windows eg:Saddam's and Egyptian environments.

Orders anyone?;)

Curtains are much better than blinds. Always have been. Unless you have air con all the time. My parents had blinds which was fine cause they had ducted air. But my place/place I rented had blinds and no air con, it's annoying cause you can't block the sun and have the window open for a breeze - if you do, then you break the blinds.

Well, I just put the ones with the ring tops in my rentals. The tenants wreck them within a couple of years, and they are less expensive to replace, easy for me to install, and they look neat and tidy.
I have those here - Ikea ring top curtains. They look very nice on a thick dark brown ornamental rod. Mine are a very neutral kind of mocha brown. They cost about $50 each plus about $30 for the rods from Spotlight. I have high ceilings here and Ikea curtains are 3.6m drop so I don't have to take much off the ends, places like Big W or Spotlight have 2.1m drop and it looks stupid with curtains that barely cover the windows and leave a 1m gap below.

Venetians and so forth are insanely cheap these days. Have a timber Ikea one in the bathroom at the other house (the bathroom has a lot of raw wood so it looks great otherwise I wouldn't be putting unsealed timber in a bathroom) for $25, and at this house we just put a white metal Big W venetian in the bathroom for $36. Neither bathroom has frosted glass so privacy is an issue.

We're building a house next year and one of the criteria on the build is going to be standard size windows on as many windows as possible so we can get the cheap 90, 120, 150cm wide pre-made blinds and curtains instead of needing custom ones.

Back