Are group buys allowed on these forums?

I would potentially be interested in ordering bamboo flooring from China, the problem is that to get the best price I would have to order a 20' container.
The shipped price would probably be between A$20/m² and A$25/m² delivered to Sydney, which is a substantial saving on buying it here.

Would I be allowed to open a thread on here to gauge the interest to see if someone wants a few hundred square meters?

Hi spludgey,
Just noticed your thread - I nebver come to this part of the forum.I don't see why there would be a problem with organising group buys & no mods have piped up. Maybe try listing your idea in the Coffee Lounge section and see if there's any interest.

I think that's a great idea Spuldgey.
I'm sure there are plenty of peeps doing similar work who would be interested.
Just make sure you order a sample before confirming the whole container load to ensure Q.C.

Good luck

B.D

Just make sure you order a sample before confirming the whole container load to ensure Q.C.

If you're importing goods from China you need to employ someone over there to check the quality as they load the floorboards into the container...Chinese manufacturers/suppliers are notorious for sending you dodgy/crap items just to save a few dollars.

Hi spludgey,
Just noticed your thread - I never come to this part of the forum.
I think the best way to use the board is to click on 'todays posts' or 'new posts'

What they do is send you an A grade sample but you receive a container of B-C grade stuff.

If you're importing goods from China you need to employ someone over there to check the quality as they load the floorboards into the container...Chinese manufacturers/suppliers are notorious for sending you dodgy/crap items just to save a few dollars.
Agree, you need someone on the ground or fly over yourself to inspect before it's loaded. Let me know if you need anyone in China.. i've got a friend who has a business inspecting exports for o'seas customers. Who knows you might even sell for a profit and cover the cost of your own needs, good luck with it.

there is never a more stark reminder of this than on xmas day when you crack the xmas cracker. very symbolic really.
Lol, so true

Very risky.

You need a quality control inspector to check the product, inspect random batches.
Make sure these are what's getting loaded in the container.
Even then, a natural product like bamboo is subject to moisture content.
You won't get any warranty or worthwhile compensation if you're doing a one off order and it turns bad.

With no proven trading history it's risky.
Best to negotiate a deal on a container load through a proven importer who deals with reliable suppliers in my opinion.

Back