Are over 55's retirement appartments good investments ?

Hi there,

I saw some interesting offers to invest in over 55's living complexes...these are 1 bedroom aparments $80-100K with $150 p/w rent. I have heard on a couple of occasions that expierenced investors don't invest into these retirement villages as they don't want to tie up their equity into such projects where the growth is little compared to a free standing home. ..

Any suggestions...? Is it worth or just not profitable enough ?
Thanks
THomas

Returns on IP are measured but both yield and CG.
These little babies tend to self fund.

8% + returns are handy.

Often the yield is pegged with CPI or pension rates, some growth will occur.

They can be a welcomed cash flow balance to small yielding (potentially) high CG IP's.

CG is limited because there is no alternative use, though cashflow can be good if you expect the age pension to keep going up.

Be aware that it might be difficult to get high LVR loans for these.
Alex

I've seen these complexs advertised, how do they restrict to over-55's or whatever - is there a convenant? What type of title do you get - is it just a normal strata? It would seem to be a possibly growing way to invest - especially if the baby boomers decide to access their cash in their homes and then rent in retirement. Is it possible to give long multi-year leases with rents indexed to the pension to make it attractive to the tenants?

The spirit of SEPP 5 (over 55) is to create affordable products for boomers to BUY!

Planning allows for more development on a block, under SEPP 5 than traditional development would allow.

This would reduce land costs per unit therefore making them more affordable.

I am not sure if investors can buy them.

You would think they could but how would it all be policed.

If u can, be sure that they are at least 10% cheaper than similar (non SEPP 5) products.

Liquidity may be the other issue - you may not be able to sell out (at a decent price - or worse at any price) when you need to.

Cheers,

The Y-man

hi all
couple of problems for sepp 5 developments and the reason I don't get involved in them.
1. you can only have over 55 people living in the unit per the strata so you can't just rent to any one
2. most are in high income areas and over 55's are hard to get loans for so you are looking for cashed up buyers.
3. even harder to get presales to over 55's as the markets is nearly dead as is on presales and you won't get renounceable option on over 55's as the put option holder want the ability to rent or hold if the deal goes west.
4. the areas that the sepp 5 are in
the build costs are the same but the sell market is very reduced
so you do have to market to the grey power and that is a very powerfull group
they have made there money over 35 to 40 years in the labour force
they have most of them been in business and as such are very good negotiators
so would you have say 20 units trying to sell to a hard nose ex car dealer,ex bank manager, ex middle manager,ex doctor, ex dentist,
or a 21 year old straight out of school/uni and has a girl friend straight out of school/uni looking for there first home ie a unit.
I know which I would take.
the second also can get a loan.
the grey power is and will become a very powerfull body and there are fund that invest in retirement villages
there is also a new fund that is investing in very large trailer parks, to take the very large rv coaches driven by the grey power
and that is increasing at a very high rate
and you can't park a 40ft coach pulling a merc 4 x 4 at a motel
and if you haven't seen them then drive up the highway from newcastle to taree and you will see them all the time.
the trouble for sepp 5 for me is that the margin is there and they are good product
but you can't get presales
there are not alot of point to hold unless you lease not rent.
and would be hard to find tennants when one left.
this will change as the grey power grow in numbers and remember that wave is comming when the current 40 to 50 get to 65 there is going to be a very big problem.
for me I will be the 40ft with the merc by then.

Back