are people getting ruder? (not talking ss here)

Possibly Plato the student repeating Socrates his teacher, as the latter disagreed with writing, but then Plato was even more conservative, so could well have been his own sentiments.

The answer is a collective yes :)

Question is what can we do about it? I plan to start with my kids (when we have them that is).

ah karma - gotta love it.

the person who set off this thread by advising me she changed something that had been arranged to suit "her" in the first place, without even asking if the change suited me, had a flat tyre yesterday - so stuffed up her "change" anyhow.

i think i love you karma :D

i think why this sort of thing annoys me so much is that i had 10 years of it constantly with hubby's ex regarding arrangements with the shared custody kids ... custody arrangements that were made to suit her.

she would constantly make plans during "our" time with the children without consulting first and if we jacked up and said "no" then we were made to look like utter b*stards because the kids would miss out on some you beaut fun thing.

if she has just asked first then it wouldn't be an issue, but it was the total disrespect for our time, and lack of courtesy (sometimes we would find out via the kids themselves that she'd organised something, so sometimes she wouldn't even bother to tell us direct). still smarts because it goes against every grain i was bought up with regarding respect for others.

still waiting on the karma for that one! :rolleyes:

p.s. i totally agree with bayview about the lower social level outbreeding those that financially support them. will be an interesting future.

Last edited:
....still waiting on the karma for that one! :rolleyes:

Lizzie, the karma is already working. You got her ex-husband and are extremely happy whilst she clearly couldn't make it work :D

Of course, she may look at that in a different light, but I like to think that she is the one missing out.

ah - don't i wish. she moved on to a husband that suits her down to a tee, they dote on each other and had another child that is (according to her big sisters) perfect ... well off, a job she loves, travels the world and a much much better relationship with the kids then we ever could due to the angst she put us through (every irk we bought up was twisted to make us look bad).

that's alright - i'll get my time.

Lizzie, sometimes I wonder about karma, so its nice to know she's experienced it.

Yes, I think society is getting ruder.

There's road rage over nothing, cars that speed down our street (nothing like having a heart attack when your friend's 2 year old gets out of her mother's grip and starts running across the road & the car can't see her), being late (example 1. not sure how the perpetrator got to his own wedding on time and example 2. why did I pay $25 for your child to go to my child's birthday party if you're going to show up when the food is being taken away), and RSVPs, my current birthday party bugbear- guess I'll figure it out how many are showing up on Saturday.

That being said, now that their friends are adults, it is different again and I don't mind. I would still expect though that they call us Mr & Mrs until we told them that it was fine to call us otherwise.

I find it very tough/uncomfortable to go from people you are used to calling "Mr" and "Mrs" to then trying to use their first names instead ...at their request.

It’s a symptom of the fast paced society we live in. Everything is on demand now.

But some people are idiots and deserve it, eg if someone is driving in the very right lane on the M1 @ anything bellow 100kms/h they will get tailgated and high beamed by me, please drive at the speed limit or GTFO

But some people are idiots and deserve it, eg if someone is driving in the very right lane on the M1 @ anything bellow 100kms/h they will get tailgated and high beamed by me, please drive at the speed limit or GTFO

More often than not, you'll see someone doing 105km/h in the right hand lane - which is speeding - and you'll still see an idiot tailgating that person and/or flashing their lights like they own the road. Often a bogan in a Conformadore or a Falcon or a bogan tradie ute I might also add.

In this case - if they are in such a bloody big hurry, then they shouldn't slow themselves down by sitting behind a slower speeder than them - go around them and get on with yer life.

Just another example of how people are getting ruder and think the planet revolves around them. :rolleyes:

It’s a symptom of the fast paced society we live in. Everything is on demand now.

This post says so much... fast paced, on demand, it's everyone elses fault, not theirs...

Z Kid demands to go fast so GTFO! Nice :rolleyes:

Personally, I find tailgaters to be rude and arrogant drivers. If someone tailgates me I will SLOW down immediately until they back off. Don't back off, well then expect me to go even slower.

That being said, I don't drive in the right lane unless I'm doing the speed limit and usually it's because I'm going faster than the person in the left that I'm overtaking.

Yes what a wonderful example of maturity. I'm sure you will go very far with such a mature approach to life.
And without anyone hanging off her rear end too! :p

Personally, I think Skater's tactic of slowing down in front of a tailgater is the better option to say being rude back (ie. flashing the bird) and by doing so, it physically forces the tailgater to stay back a bit (to a more respectable level?)

what i laugh at - when driving around town - is how often you see people dodging dangerously in and out of traffic, lane to lane, tailgating and cutting off as they try to get ahead.

10km down the road, for all their reckless driving, they have achieved the increase of - wait for it - one car. or you just drive up behind them again at the next set of lights. i find motorcyles the worst - and they wonder why they have so many accidents.

Yes I’m a GenY living in the fast lane GTFO of my way. Seriously though, don’t drive in the right lane unless overtaking. It a legitimate rule of traffic.

I see the sub-class only increasing, re-populating themsleves at a rate of knots, living on welfare, looking for the rort and ever-diluting the intelligence pool, increasing the crime rate, the single mother rate, the druggie rate and more.

The fact that EVERYONE has to have a tattoo because everyone else has one or 100. For god's sake. The fact that despite all the info freely available today to the contrary, the under-achieving young still smoke cigarettes, and eat Maccas while weighing 100kg's or more in Year 10.

And so on.

Just go to any shopping mall and study the level of humanity you will see there.

Uuurrrgggghhhhhhhh......you've given me shivers up the spine Marc, you've obviously been to our mall and seen the human dross frequenting it.

Rude, obnoxious, loud, morbidly obese, foul mouthed, inconsiderate of others, "I want" queens, tattooed, floppy grungy tracky dak wearing muffin top hanging out illiterate welfare demanding breeding like rabbits sub-forms.....and they're the good ones.

My father and I shudder every week we go out there to perform both preventative maintenance and fixing up what they have smashed / vandalised / wrecked. twisted. scratched, the week before.

Yes I’m a GenY living in the fast lane GTFO of my way. Seriously though, don’t drive in the right lane unless overtaking. It a legitimate rule of traffic.

It's not a legitimate rule of traffic to tailgate and risk an accident; regardless of what speed the person in the right lane is doing. They are possibly wrong, and so are you. Two wrongs don't make a "right" from my experience.

Just go around them if you are in such a hurry, oh, important one.

This is what I do. It might occur a coupla times a year.

It takes no effort really, I avoid a road rage possibility with some bonehead who is predispositioned to that form of behaviour (he wouldn't like my "road rage dispersement tool" under the seat should this scenario eventuate, however), and I don't get too many grey hairs from driving.

And finally; if they should decide to stop for some unknown reason, and you slam up their backside.....you are now in the wrong, and most likely will get no insurance next time you enquire (I'm assuming you are an under 25 male), or it will cost as much as your car to get it.

Last edited:
And finally; if they should decide to stop for some unknown reason, and you slam up their backside.....you are now in the wrong, and most likely will get no insurance next time you enquire (I'm assuming you are an under 25 male), or it will cost as much as your car to get it.

That is precisely the reason I slow down. If some imbecile decides to tailgate and I need to stop, I don't want to have them plough into my rear end. If they won't keep a safe distance, well, I'm sorry, I'm going to slow down.

Funny thing is I've had idiots do this when there has only been myself & them on a double or triple lane road and I'm in the left doing the speed limit. How hard is it to go into the other lane?

I'd say your all getting old, grumpy, selfish and resentful.
There's plenty nice people out there.
It takes a small mind to think that they are fine and it's all the others that are not.

Someone changes the arrangement and expects you to follow?
Big woop, tell them no and don't arrange with them again.

People don't rsvp? It means they're not coming.
If they turn up, they can buy their own.

That is precisely the reason I slow down. If some imbecile decides to tailgate and I need to stop, I don't want to have them plough into my rear end. If they won't keep a safe distance, well, I'm sorry, I'm going to slow down.

I hate tailgaters too, it shows inexperience, stupidity, arrogance, and complete disregard for safety while impatience and road rage are often included. I might try your idea of slowing right down next time. I wish the government would spend more time enforcing this law instead of concentrating on parking infringements.

Many people still don't realize how dangerous driving is, they just don't get it that two big chunks of Steel that weigh tons going at 60 - 120kms an hour each X 2 = a serious BANG and often people are killed or injured for life. I guess in country where bashing people, kids beating themselves up and bashing their heads in playing football are accepted as part of our culture then you have to expect some problems. :rolleyes:

Back