Are people migrating home from Australia?

Hi All.
One trend i have started to notice are the people I work with have plans to leave to country and go back home permanently. In fact I know of more people who have left and plan on leaving the country than migrating to Australia.
Some of the reasoning for returning home is the expensive cost of living here (house prices are greater in comparison to europe, india, usa on average). And the westernisation of their home countries as compared to 10 years ago.
I know of three families now with plans of setting back home (and not telling work on their plans yet).
So with all these abs stats saying our immigration will boom in future , could this be about to change. Are the immigrants from war torn places now instead of high skilled (higher paid) countries as it used to be.

Just wondering if anyone else is noticing this trend.
Cheers.

Hi All.
One trend i have started to notice are the people I work with have plans to leave to country and go back home permanently. In fact I know of more people who have left and plan on leaving the country than migrating to Australia.
Some of the reasoning for returning home is the expensive cost of living here (house prices are greater in comparison to europe, india, usa on average). And the westernisation of their home countries as compared to 10 years ago.
I know of three families now with plans of setting back home (and not telling work on their plans yet).
So with all these abs stats saying our immigration will boom in future , could this be about to change. Are the immigrants from war torn places now instead of high skilled (higher paid) countries as it used to be.

Just wondering if anyone else is noticing this trend.
Cheers.

That doesn't surprise me. Australia is so caught up in it's own BS these days, way overrated at these prices.
My sister inlaw is heading back to London , my brother back to Asia. They were both away during most of the Howard yrs and couldn't believe the changes in the country, conservatism, prices and cost of living.

Last edited:
Not so much mecca for travelling, but a base to earn pounds and see the rest of europe. When I was based there (pre gfc) my top five things about the UK were.

1) the money I could earn contract
2) the exchange rate
3) proximity to the rest of europe
4) the money
5) the exchange rate :)

quite depressing in the UK these days - not sure what you would be going to London for?

It depends on what you're doing.

There's been an awful lot of money pumping into the financial sector, and 2009 is shaping up to be closer to 2007 than 2008 in terms of salaries and bonuses paid.

If you're not in finance, then it's a terrible place to be. I'm hearing of London jobs paying much lower than those outside of London.

Not so much mecca for travelling, but a base to earn pounds and see the rest of europe.

That pretty much sums me up as well - My salary here is similar to Aus and it has just been a base to travel. I have enjoyed my time alot and have seen heaps of Europe, more than many would in a life time. My IPs are still ticking away nicely at home. It's a cool country but couldn't stay here permanently and will be heading home in 2010.

I wish I came pre-GFC so I could contract and earn big bucks but it wasn't to be!

:)

Back